Skip to content

I want to play a monk but...

I'm having trouble starting a new BG2EE game. I simply cant decide on a class to play. The monk is very appealing to me, but it seems to me like it simply wasnt implemented correctly. Even following the monk guide, i'm finding that right out the gate I'm sitting at a 12 THACO and am having trouble hitting anything. Now from what I read this does get better, but i'm curious how much better? What level do I actually start being able to reliably hit other enemies?

I have 18 str/dex/con and took single weapon prof, but nothing seems to be helping. Obviously i expect a few issues right out of the gate, but when fighters have an extra 3 or 4 to their roll, i'm having trouble finding the reason to stick with the monk. Is there items you need to get early in the game to help out? or is this something that will always plague me? Or do i simply have to start using regular old melee weapons (at which point I may as well just re-roll as a fighter).

Thank you all for any and all input and advice you give me. I appreciate it all. Perhaps i just need to give it more time to develop?

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    The short version: don't worry about it.

With some more detail: THACO will more or less cease to matter in a few levels. Also damage output is absolutely ok, I guess with a dual-wielding grand master fighter you can have a bit more in the endgame but the monk certainly has nothing to be ashamed of and will out-perform in the midgame when damage goes to 1-20 for the fist.

I just took a look at a savegame mid-ToB with Minsc as my primary fighter & tank. He does 19-25 damage at level 24, at comparable strength to Rassad with 5/2 attacks Flail of Ages while Rasaad has 19-38 with 4 primary attacks at level 30 (almost same XP).

Both can upgrade with dual-wielding (yes, monks can now dual-wield, best to put scarlet ninja-to in the offhand later). This is with some of the gloves that give +3 damage from his quest I think while I missed the best monk-gloves (gauntlets of crushing or whatever they're called that give +4 hit and damage).

XP/kill ratio is comparable, Minsc is at 30% while Rasaad is at 27%. Minsc was in the group much earlier plus gets good benefits of Azuredge one-shot undead kills.

THACO for Minsc is at -9 with -5 for Rasaad. The innate magic resistance more than makes up for it (78%, yeah!).

Also monk AC can get ridiculously low (I think it's actually a bug) since his AC bonus stacks on top of bracers or other "fixed AC gear" -> e.g. potions of defence which rock for a monk. AC for Minsc is -9 while Rasaad is at -11 without potion or AC bracers (gear optimizing on damage). With a potion of defense or invulnerability it goes to -21 and I have a stack of 15 potions each lasting hours for all major fights in the backpack.

Both are NPCs with sub-optimal stats so as PC with 18s in your prime you will of course out-perform.

I also have a monk-solo where I´m around level 18 somewhere in chapter 2 which so far went without a major problem. AC -13 (with bracers), THACO 0 and 11-30 damage at 4 attacks main hand. Will continue playing that once I get the ipad version (which is my designated solo-run platform since anything else is more or less unplayable on the ipad in my opinion).

Summary: if the monk appeals to you don't worry and play him, you will certainly be able to perform nicely with it.
  • Goose1009Goose1009 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, that was the perfect response.
  • Goose1009Goose1009 Member Posts: 3
    Actually, i'm looking at it, how does the dual wielding work? I cant seem to spend any prof points into it....
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There is no such thing as dual-wielding monk (which is absurd, btw). I think the reason for this was lack of monks' dual-wielding animation. With lost of source art for Baldur's Gate, it is impossible to implement it even in enhanced edition.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    is there any guy on guy sex in the enhanced edition? i want it BAAAAAAAAAAAD. like dorn on korgan. or jan on CHARNAME who is a male elf archer
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Monks get much better at about level 14 when a lot of the level-related bonuses start to kick in. By mid SOA you should be kicking arse with the best of them (and have amazing Magic resistance to boot).

As a side note with as few spoilers as possible: When you get to the Asylum Island, you'll want to get the boat back to the mainland at the end rather than take the portal. You will also want to side with the King rather than the Prince for a very nice bit of Monk gear.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    This class start to show power at level 12+, in ToB, with the back support of a party and proper buffs they're machines of destruction, i prefer the pure monk, but the kits aren't bad either.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Goose1009 said:

Actually, i'm looking at it, how does the dual wielding work? I cant seem to spend any prof points into it....

Just put a weapon in the offhand. Since you can't put many points in two weapon fighting like other classes you will always get thaco penalties even on your mainhand but after some time it won't really matter except for the few really low AC enemies where you just go with the main attack.

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 881
    Corvino said:

You will also want to side with the King rather than the Prince for a very nice bit of Monk gear.

Or just kill them both. :)
  • sivistojkosivistojko Member Posts: 30
    I recommend everyone to create a test char by using cheats or EE Keeper to see how it feels like in end game or in specific situations if you have any doubts. That the best way to ensure yourself.
  • mrdeluxemrdeluxe Member Posts: 98
    Wait, wait, wait…

…Monks can dual wield?

This changes everything!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Monk dual-wielding is pretty clearly a bug. Of course, this game is single-player and you can do whatever you want with the characters you make, but it isn't intended functionality and I definitely wouldn't recommend it as the "right" way to play a monk.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    This won't be popular, but is there any way to slow these buggers down? The one factor that keeps me from playing as a monk or using Rasaad is how they dash ahead of the rest of the party. At first, this is of course suicidal - after awhile, it turns into a case of the rest of my party wading through endless piles of carnage. Unless I am soloing, (I don't), this irks me to end. And no, I do not want to give everyone else boots of speed.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Just give everyone else ranged weapons and spells.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @jackjack I love this half the time and hate it the other half. Its okay for my main character, but in my Rasaad game it can get annoying.
    I don't think slowing them down is a good idea, but they can make it into a no-time limit ability (call it "running foot", "soles of the cheetah" or something else monkish, lol). That way you can turn it on/off whenever you please.

I think Monks should be capable of moving at an exceptional pace when they want to/when the situation call for it, rather than Kung-Fu ADHD warriors
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    You're right - it's not the ability that bothers me, it's the fact that I can't turn it off.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    I had a Monk in my first playthrough (back when the game was new) and had no issues with them. As people have mentioned as they get higher level if anything they become a lot more powerful than a vanilla fighter.

The only issue you'll have is that it's a little boring loot wise, since you pretty much can't use anything. You'll find this with a few classes though, so it's not unique to the monk.

They're also complete pants in BG1, I couldn't use Rasaad in it because most of his abilities kick in at around level 10!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Madhax said:

Monk dual-wielding is pretty clearly a bug. Of course, this game is single-player and you can do whatever you want with the characters you make, but it isn't intended functionality and I definitely wouldn't recommend it as the "right" way to play a monk.

Plus you can't get any proficiency points towards two-weapon style so you are getting hit with a pretty steep penalty if you dual wield.
  • broonofmidoribroonofmidori Member Posts: 32
    Monk is probably the most rewarding class as far as how much better they get as they level. It is that they suck so much in the beginning of the first BG no one seems to play them much. Your ac and thaco will keep dropping no matter what, and you'll start getting a higher and higher magic resistance.

Throw a couple buffs on them and watch them annihilate stuff.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I wanted to play a Monk and... I did this time and have not regretted it so far!
    What appealed me was their Magic Resistance by level 14. It caps at 78% but is unparalled even by Wizard Slayers and their meager 1% per level! Since the hardest fights involve Magic, Monks are very reliable.
    Give them some AC bracers and Mirror Image items and they become very hard to hit.
    Their fists are ravaging and they can end battles quickly with Quivering Palm on Malisoned/Doomed/Called Shot enemies.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited January 2014
    the speed is what puts me of playing monks I find it very frustrating to deal with

not to mention monks seem weird when in the middle of a heavily armoured party toting plus 5 weapons seems a little out of place I like monks more as solo characters or in very small parties
    Taear said:

, I couldn't use Rasaad in it because most of his abilities kick in at around level 10!

I see unintended puns everywhere
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited January 2014
    ...additional info (based on an idea @booinyoureyes gave me) - for playing with a monk, you need a good background music.
    The soundtrack from Rocky will do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gVPkaZykK4
    Southpaw said:

...additional info (based on an idea @booinyoureyes gave me) - for playing with a monk, you need a good background music.
    The soundtrack from Rocky will do.

Just don't play "Gonna Fly Now" if Aerie is in your party XD
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    You could change the monk's movement speed with EEKeeper if you wanted to slow him down.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90

Taear said:

, I couldn't use Rasaad in it because most of his abilities kick in at around level 10!

"unintended"
    edited January 2014
    I think its hilarious that one minute after I posted about Aerie @Southpaw added a video into his post... with the EXACT same song I mentioned :D
    Taear said:

Taear said:

"unintended"
    Ooops. Sorry. I guess your "punch-line" flew right over my head.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    * silently walks up to @booinyoureyes, leans down and gives the hamster a high-five*
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I was just wondering if someone has already played to the end of ToB with the new monk kits and could give an opinion on how they compare to basic monk...