Skip to content

[Bug/Mechanics] Kit bonus wasn't properly removed when changing classes at character generation

IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
edited July 2012 in Fixed
Current behaviour: This one is a little difficult to explain, so I'll try adding some background. While trying to decide on a class to use for my test run, I was switching back and forth between the Class, Abilities, and Skills screens at character generation. Finally deciding on a quarterstaff-wielding kensai, I found upon arriving in Candlekeep that my character had received an erroneous -1 AC bonus. I couldn't account for it from her stats, and it wasn't cleared through resting. Worse still, recreating the character to exact specifications wouldn't reproduce the bug. So, I tried replicating my steps while creating her. Eventually, I found that selecting the swashbuckler kit, continuing through character generation until after the Skills screen, and then backtracking and re-selecting kensai would recreate the erroneous -1 AC bonus. I opened the save game in NearInfinity and found that SPCL441.SPL (i.e., the swashie AC bonus) was still attached to my character. For some reason, the swashie's AC bonus hadn't been properly removed (or its application had recurred) when switching back to kensai at character generation.

Expected behaviour: All class/kit bonuses applied after the Skills screen at character generation should be properly removed when re-selecting another class.

Games affected: BG2, BGEE.

Steps to reproduce: Start a new game. At the Class screen, select swashbuckler. Continue character generation until after the Skills screen. Hit the Back button and re-select kensai at the Class screen. Finish character generation (I suggest using Ctrl+8 at the Abilities screen). With a DEX 18 character, you will see the character has AC 3, as opposed to AC 4 (i.e., -4 from DEX bonuses, -2 from kensai kit bonuses).

Notes: I am not sure how systemic this problem is. (It took me a while to reproduce the erroneous AC bonus my kensai was receiving in the first place.) It may be related to the problems of clerics not receiving their known spells and multi-class thieves being denied the thief point allocation screen.
Post edited by CameronTofer on
AndreaColomboSethDavisLuneverpacekBhryaenFlauschigkangaxxnoobertenaBrighamFishElkarJayKayBrimstone

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Wow @Igneous, this is what I call some seriously insightful bug report!
    kangaxxElkarBrimstone
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Great- another hidden exploit you've ruined. Curse you! ;-)
  • IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    @AndreaColombo - Ha! Thanks. It was a real bugger tracking down, though.

@Bhryaen - Yes, well, it is kind of appealing in a way... having my kensai vicariously benefit from the swashbuckling practice she undertook in another life. I think I will take her through with that broken AC bonus. Just terrible, I know. ;)
    Brimstone
  • IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    Update! I was able to reproduce this through BG2's character-gen process, so it's not a bug specific to BGEE. The plot thickens...
    TanthalasAndreaColombo
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Oh wow, so I could have been playing an overpowered PC in BG2 all these years.
    @Tanthalas - all those wasted years playing regular characters... ;-)
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited June 2012
    Checking this one now

[EDIT] Potentially fixed - Resetting special stats and spells now works properly in character create
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    Confirmed fixed. I did what @Igneous wrote in the OP to reproduce the bug (i.e. the Swashbuckler/Kensai thing) and my character ends up having the correct AC.
  • kangaxxkangaxx Member Posts: 681
    Thanks for your efforts, guys. Isn't it awesome to play a game which has got more than a 10 year bug/exploit testing period?
    Only Diablo2 and Starcraft come to my mind in that perspective.
    A dream comes true!!!
    DiscoCatZych0