Skip to content

Is the game in a playable state?

I bought the game during the recent steam sale and was wondering if the game is in a playable state bug wise? I've heard rumblings that it wasn't for a while, and just want to confirm I'm not wasting my time trying to play it now.

Thanks a bunch. :D

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There are one or two bugs floating around, but nothing anywhere near game-breaking. I've just finished the SOA section of the game and aside from one duplicated dialogue from Jaheira I've encountered nothing major.

TL;DR - Completely playable right now.
    Thrasymachusbooinyoureyes
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Yes, eminently playable.
  • SuperGnomeSuperGnome Member Posts: 8
    thanks so much, both of you. I will hesitate no longer!
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I ran into some minor confusion in one of Dorn's quests, but it was not really bugged, just a bit weird. That's about it for the troubles I've had and that's with many many hours spent in both BGEE and BG2EE.
  • ScufflesScuffles Member Posts: 15
    I'm most of the way through SOA without anything that popped out to me as a big problem. I think Teos is having an issue because he's still standing around in my Planar sphere after the last quest and his only dialogue option is the 'no I haven't done it yet' answer. Nothing serious for me though.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Absolutely playable, maybe keep a few more savegames at various stages around just in case and read the workaround for known bugs FAQ. From the forum questions I think watchers keep not appearing and Hexxat romance not starting are the most frequently encountered.

https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24795/hotfixes-workarounds-and-how-to-activate-the-console/p1
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I would say that it's playable if your willing to console, for example jahiera's res doesn't work so I just console res but only after fights.

Also a couple of times things didn't progress like the harper's quest and had to be forced.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Jaheira's personal quests and romance are fairly notorious for being on crazily long timers and a bit buggy. If anything BG2:EE improves on this a lot. IIRC you needed to wait 24 hours of REAL TIME between the penultimate dialogue and the final encounter in the original unpatched BG2.
    CrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    One thing to keep in mind about the Steam version of these games. There's an issue regarding Data Execution Prevention that prevents them from launching. You need to go into your Windows settings and add it to an exception list in order to get it to work. Beamdog has a post on their support page that explains how to do this.
    elminster