Skip to content

Rule update?

Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
just how possible could it be to update the enhanced edition games to the 3.5 or NEXT set of rules?
AFAIK there has been a 3.5 attempt for either BG or Icewind dale, but I'd like more info on this :)

Comments

• DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    That would basically mean creating the whole engine from the scratch and only using art and dialogues. That's a 99% no.

Attempts you're referencing are probably NWN mods. There was Icewind Dale port for NWN2 I think.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2014
    no, it was a rule update..

it could simply mean to release the source code :)
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2014
    I've never tried them and I don't know if they work with BG:EE, but there are multiple mods that do this. See this thread for links to some (all?) of them: BG-to-ID thread

There's also the 3D BG mod. I assume it uses 3e as it uses the NWN engine...
    Baldur's Gate NWN (3D) mod

Somewhat related:
    The Spell Revisions mod has some 3e flavor in that spells are a bit more balanced (relative to eachother) and there are a lot of save penalties.
    BG2 Tweaks has an install option that gives a save penalty to spells dependent on spellcaster level.
    [Note: as of Tweaks v14 and BG:EE v1.20 I had consistent text errors with the mod and stopped trying. Something to do with dialog.tlk and items; shift error in text references I guess; might not apply to the save penalty option of the mod...]
    not too implausible then :D
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    syllog said:

There's also the 3D BG mod. I assume it uses 3e as it uses the NWN engine...
    Baldur's Gate NWN (3D) mod

Wow, I never knew about that one! It looks amazing. And they even got Minsc's voice right. I'll have to check that one out sometime. After I've finished the EE games though.

what about the IWD2ification mod? wasn't there a project which turned the mechanics of IW2 to Baldur's Gate?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Icewind Gate is what I menat. was it that badly broken?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Some aspects of this proposal would be easy to do, from a modding perspective. You couldn't implement Will/Fort/Reflex saves, but you could tweak Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution to provide their 3e+ modifiers to attack, damage, AC, and hit points.

You could do the same thing with Wisdom for clerics and druids, letting it grant the appropriate bonus to spells per day--and you could modify the Lore bonus to be a linear progression (assuming that every 5 points is a +1, and you get a +1 for every two points above 10 your ability score is, so just multiply that expected bonus by 5).

Charisma works the same way; just make it a linear progression that penalizes sub-10 scores and rewards 12+ scores in a linear progression.

Next thing you would need to do--and this would be important for balance reasons more than anything else--is change the proficiency benefits and penalties. Instead of boosting APR, specialization and above should just grant bonuses to attack and damage rolls; and warrior classes should get a bonus attack every five levels.

There's definitely room to do a lot of it. Not quite all of it, but enough to at least make character creation work the way you want it to.
    I'm mostly concerned about attributes and prestige classes... I love the idea of modding the archmage in it. Kits, despite being great, sometimes feel very restrictive!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited October 2015
    Prestige Classes you won't be able to do, unless you design them as kits.

5e would actually be a lot easier, since you don't need to worry about feats, and there aren't any prestige classes to worry about. Archetypes could easily be represented by kits, and even weapons are easier (when you wield a longsword in two hands it essentially becomes a different weapon dealing different damage).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @Dee @subtledoctor what about templates? since you're so nice in providing information today? :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

@Dee @subtledoctor what about templates? since you're so nice in providing information today? :)

I think @Dark_Ansem is referring to the 3E mechanic for modifying creatures (e.g., making a half-dragon version of a creature or a lycanthrope version of a creature).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#templates

There's no "template" mechanic in the Infinity Engine, AFAIK. Of course, you could modify an existing CRE as part of a mod install. You could modify a creature's THAC0, hit points, hit dice, stats, AC, etc.. Some creatures are paletted, so you could change their colors to change appearance (some aren't). Modifying size would be an issue, since the sprite would be the same size. If you give the creature special abilities or spells (e.g., you make a half-dragon kobold and want to give the creature a breath weapon), you'd need to remember to give the creature a combat script that uses the abilities/spells.
    I mean for characters, for example, the possibility of becoming a Lich, or a vampire, or a chosen of mystra :D
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Got best bet for an advanced edition game? Support the ee's and hope they eventually get the rights to make bg3. The game will almost certainly be based on the next edition rules
    support "how"? more than buying all the games?

I mean for characters, for example, the possibility of becoming a Lich, or a vampire, or a chosen of mystra :D

There's no in-game mechanic specifically for doing that. However, you could create an item that applies effects to change the character's stats, powers, etc..
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

support "how"? more than buying all the games?

Heh, that's it I guess
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Surprisingly, the 2E engine actually is very easy to coerce into behaving like a 5E engine if you're willing to make some compromises here or there.

For example, saving throws were pretty easy to change. Armor Class and THAC0 can basically just be inverted (i.e. a +1 AC in 5E = -1 AC in 2E).

Some of the classes can be converted almost directly from the 5E Player's Handbook (such as Champion [Fighter] and Berserker [Barbarian]). Spellcasters in 5E were a bit of a hassle, but I believe Wolpak has devised a way of making any class cast like a Sorcerer through creative use of the opcode used by NRD; I'm quite excited to try this out instead of forcing all spellcasters to Sorcerers. Non-spellcasting class features (with the exception of Turn Undead) are all pretty straightforward.

So far the most difficult thing to get working was the advantage/neutral/disadvantage system, but if you're willing to tweak the bounded accuracy of 5th edition by a little bit in extreme cases (disadvantage on very low rolls or advantage on very high rolls), you can get something like that system working just fine too.

I just happen to know all of this for no reason in particular... >.> No reason at all...
    edited October 2015

Spellcasters in 5E were a bit of a hassle, but I believe Wolpak has devised a way of making any class cast like a Sorcerer

Does 5E abandon Vancian spellcasting?? Fascinating. Anyway, for an example of how that can look/function, take a look at my Spellbender kit, in the Might & Guile multiclass component. It's a multiclass cleric/mage kit, but it would be super easy to adapt the spells to single-class kits, and they could be tailored with a specific spell list for specific kits.
    Preparing spells and casting spells are separated in 5E. Wizards and clerics can prepare an amount of spells per day equal to the caster's class level (in the spellcasting class) + modifier for the caster's key attribute (e.g., Int, Wis, or Cha). Some classes like sorcerers and bards have more limited # of spells known.

Example: A Wizard can prepare a number of spells = Wizard Level + Intelligence Modifier. Note this is just a flat "number of spells" not "number of spells per spell level". A level 3 Wizard with 16 Int can prepare 6 total spells (3 for caster level, +3 for 16 Int).

For casting spells, spellcasters have the usual table of spells per day per spell level. A 3rd level Wizard has four 1st level spells per day and two 2nd level spells. To cast a spell she expends a slot equal to the spell's level (or higher), but it doesn't remove the spell from her list of prepared spells (i.e., she can cast it again).

Many spells are also now scalable, i.e. casting them with a higher level slot increases their potency. For example, there is now only Cure Wounds, a 1st level cleric spell (no Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, etc..). It heals 1d8+ability modifier hit points. Using a higher level slot adds an addition 1d8 to the amount of hit points healed.

Also, spellcasters have access to 0-level cantrips (# known increases with level), which can be used without limit.
    cantrips are kinda useless tho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I have it :) they do are useful but they are not so much cantrips in a literal sense I believe..

cantrips are kinda useless tho.

Not in 5E. The "Fire Bolt" cantrip does 1d10 damage (on a successful ranged attack) at 1st level and scales up to 4d10 by 17th level.