Skip to content

In your opinion, who did Imoen study under?

In another thread I started thinking about who Imoen studied under in Baldurs Gate. I thought Thalantyr would be a good fit. Maybe he knew of Gorion and felt a bit obligated to take the inquisitive lass under his wing. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited January 2014
    Not entirely sure how all the magic stuff works in D&D, but isn't it possible to pick up how to cast magic on your own given that you have access to the right materials? Assuming she allready had had some magical instruction in Candlekeep, I've just thought she may have picked up the rest through books which she may or may not have swiped.
    Post edited by Silverstar on
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    I don't think she studied much. She read some books in the library, but usually spent her time in Winthrop's pub and doing thievy stuff.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180

I would have thought it would be Dynahair from the canon party.

Agreed. Even though it's not "officially" canon, the authors of BG NPC Project allude to that in dialogues between Imoen and Dynaheir, and given that they are both widely accepted as part of the canon party, makes more sense than anything else imo.

• OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    edited January 2014
    It's perfectly possible that Imoen was simply applying knowledge previously acquired in Candlekeep, with perhaps a little help from party mages.

I use a similiar justification for CHARNAME dual-classing to Mage, especially in BG2. I see Gorion at least trying to pass on a few lessons to CHARNAME, even if he didn't seem particularly interested to begin with, as being quite likely.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I also don't really understand magic in D&D, it seems to be a lot more prevalent than in other fantasy settings like Warhammer Fantasy, in the sense that every little group seems to have at least one mage.

I still like to think of magic as a fairly uncommon innate gift. So for my Kensai/Mage, I think it is perfect to assume that he had innate magical potential, but it was never realised until Irenicus tortured it outta him at the beginning of SoA. This means I intend to begin the DC process right at the start. I don't care if lv6 or lv7 Kensai isn't ideal to begin the change game-mechanics wise, it makes more sense RP-wise.

Also, I don't really understand why DC'ing results in loss of abilities from your first class... aside from a balancing perspective, it doesn't really make sense to me. Thus again Irenicus torture causing serious physical harm seems an appropriate explanation.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    hey guys? um...er... what does trollops and plug tails actually mean?

I also don't really understand magic in D&D, it seems to be a lot more prevalent than in other fantasy settings like Warhammer Fantasy, in the sense that every little group seems to have at least one mage.

I still like to think of magic as a fairly uncommon innate gift. So for my Kensai/Mage, I think it is perfect to assume that he had innate magical potential, but it was never realised until Irenicus tortured it outta him at the beginning of SoA. This means I intend to begin the DC process right at the start. I don't care if lv6 or lv7 Kensai isn't ideal to begin the change game-mechanics wise, it makes more sense RP-wise.

Also, I don't really understand why DC'ing results in loss of abilities from your first class... aside from a balancing perspective, it doesn't really make sense to me. Thus again Irenicus torture causing serious physical harm seems an appropriate explanation.

It varies across settings, but in Forgotten Realms at the time of Baldur's Gate, EVERYONE can technically use magic. The Weave, the source of magic, is freely available to all and anyone with the correct knowledge of it's mechanisms can cast spells. Someone who learns to use the Weave this way is a Wizard (Or Mage, if you prefer). Note that while everyone can become a Wizard, not everyone will be equally good at it. Some will simply possess a better natural grasp of the principles than others.

A Sorcerer is someone who has an innate link to the Weave, rather than manipulating it through knowledge and learning as a Wizard does. Typically, their power comes from a draconic or divine bloodline. CHARNAME's divine parentage would be an excellent reason for him to possess that innate link, for example. They draw and cast magic freely, using their raw will to make it do as they please. However, their lack of understanding means that they tend to know fewer spells and do not have a Wizard's indepth knowledge of complicated magical matters, such a metamagic and spell penetration.

Basically, a Sorcerer would be closer to what you're describing happening than a Mage.
    I really like the Pathfinder RPG lore when it comes to sorcerers. Each sorcerer has a unique heritage that explains their natural propensity for the arcane arts. There are different bloodlines such as Celestial, Draconic, Elemental, Abyssal, Djinn, Shadow and even "Arcane" (you come from a long family of wizards... (Darwin be damned Lamarckism for life yo!)

Each bloodline had their own advantages/disadvantageous. For example, if your heritage included someone from the elemental plane of fire, you can change the damage of any spell you cast into fire damage (Magic Flame Missiles, Melf's Burning Acid Arrow, etc) You also gain resistance to your elemental type as you level up, eventually gaining complete immunity at level 20 (max level).

Similarly each gets their own set of "natural skills" and abilities. For example, Draconic bloodlines are very perceptive and get a breath weapon (similar to our own Dragon Disciples). Fey bloodlines get Knowledge: Nature and archery skills. Infernal bloodlines get diplomacy, as in the old crossroads demon (one of their ancestors traded their soul to a devil for power, which they passed on to their kin)

I always wanted to make a chaotic evil 13 year old Infernal Sorcerer named Damien, ;P
    Also pathfinder is cool because you can just take levels in other classes without losing your skills (3.5 edition is the same I believe). However, in Pathfinder, multi-classing is discouraged as you are rewarded handsomely for staying with one class. It is really cool because the classes are actually really nicely balanced. My bard in my first pen and paper game was actually decent in combat as and archer and a... creator of chaos for the opposition... while still being a skill monkey and a good face for the party :)

Similarly thieves can be built for combat with certain feat selection, while not *completely* gimping their adventure skills (though a decent penalty, making it balanced). In my opinion Pathfinder is the best, and they are awesome because they post all their rules online for free!

Check 'em out here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
    @belgarathmth (your name is so hard to spell!!!) as usual that was a very interesting read. I actually love the sorcerer vs wizard differences in DnD

I would actually argue that Harry Potter is more of a mixture, as only certain bloodlines can access magic. There seems to be some heredity in it (but very vague)

Another interesting take on magic is the Dresden Files book series (my fave!), where magic is by nature considered to be dangerous (as in many "low" fantasy settings). So sorcerers are those who practice magic without regard for the Rules set up by a magic council they have, and use their natural abilities unrestrained. Thus wizards are considered to be true practitioners, while sorcerers are dangerous and Warlocks are less talented yet still irresponsible users.

Honestly I always thought it was dumb that if you lose your spellbook all of the sudden you can't cast *anything* (other than a cantrip or two). Real life "learned" professions aren't debilitated to that extent. Imagine if lawyers needed to read every law in order to do anything? I mean, if a doctor loses his Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, he doesn't forget where the pancreas is!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @booinyoureyes, the reason I cite Harry Potter as classic "book-and-wand" is that, even though there needs to be some genetic aptitude, they are shown many times in the series to require a wand in order to do any casting at all. No wand, no magic.

Also, I always saw that whole "genetics" thing as being arguably but possibly something that the wizards' culture used to make themselves exclusive from and better than the "muggles". That interpretation gets reinforced for me when the Slytherin leaders and Death Eaters start talking about "Mudbloods" needing to be exiled or even killed. Those who wish to hold onto power would have a vested interest in keeping the source of that power as exclusive.

I haven't read the Dresden Files, but I've read other works that use the theme of "magic is dangerous and must be controlled," such as Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. Even Shadows of Amn plays on that theme. I guess that's a full-blown trope in magical fantasy writing.

I agree with you that it's kind of silly for an experienced wizard to become helpless if he loses his spellbook, but that's what this magic system does to keep the wizards from becoming godlike and overbalancing all the other classes. It's that Vancian magic system in operation - the whole system is designed to limit and balance the power of mages against other character types.
    Fredjo said:

In your opinion, who did Imoen study UNDER?
    You don't wanna know..

Makes the Firebead Elvenhair theory all the more interesting...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I knew that guy was no good.
    edited January 2014

@booinyoureyes, the reason I cite Harry Potter as classic "book-and-wand" is that, even though there needs to be some genetic aptitude, they are shown many times in the series to require a wand in order to do any casting at all. No wand, no magic.

Also, I always saw that whole "genetics" thing as being arguably but possibly something that the wizards' culture used to make themselves exclusive from and better than the "muggles". That interpretation gets reinforced for me when the Slytherin leaders and Death Eaters start talking about "Mudbloods" needing to be exiled or even killed. Those who wish to hold onto power would have a vested interest in keeping the source of that power as exclusive.

I haven't read the Dresden Files, but I've read other works that use the theme of "magic is dangerous and must be controlled," such as Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. Even Shadows of Amn plays on that theme. I guess that's a full-blown trope in magical fantasy writing.

I agree with you that it's kind of silly for an experienced wizard to become helpless if he loses his spellbook, but that's what this magic system does to keep the wizards from becoming godlike and overbalancing all the other classes. It's that Vancian magic system in operation - the whole system is designed to limit and balance the power of mages against other character types.

Actually, very skilled wizards can use magic without wands in Harry Potter verse. Dumbledore does it on at least one occasion. Also, all the magic that young wizards do accidentally is also wandless, though it's certainly not performed through skill.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    In my canon party both the fighter\mage protagonist and Imoen have been tutored by the mages and sages in Candlekeep. You can pick up on it from her banter with the protagonist and that whooping 17 intellgence can't be just from natural brilliance. However Imoen was more carefree and had been given more leeway, whereas the protagonist tutoring was more focused and strict. So in the beginning she was just fooling around sneaking and thieving in sheltered Candlekeep, but when she was exposed to the real dangers of the outside world Imoen realized that it's time to take her studies more seriously and decided to become a mage to have an edge on her enemies. And thankfully, there are enough fellow mages in BG1 to speed up the process, be it Dynaheir, Thalantyr or her best buddy the protagonist (whom she eventually surpasses being a pure mage).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    Onestep said:

<

Actually, very skilled wizards can use magic without wands in Harry Potter verse. Dumbledore does it on at least one occasion. Also, all the magic that young wizards do accidentally is also wandless, though it's certainly not performed through skill.

Yeah it is a specific skill that Harry learns in the final book. Also magical creatures in the Harry Potter setting exhibit magic with any wands. I'm thinking of Dobbie here specifically.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014

A ginger got the hottest girl in that series. If that is not magic I don't know what is

@booinyoureyes

lol... to be fair, and totally shallow, Hermoine was never meant to be so obviously attractive. Emma Watson grew up 'better' than the casting folks expected when she was 9-10 years old! I bet they were disappointed with Daniel's refusal to grow vertically... Harry is supposed to be pretty tall!

Edit: Oh yeah... on the subject of hot gingers... Amy Pond!
    I said hottest, not best looking! Hermione's sex appeal goes beyond physical appearance.
    Honestly, neither Imoen or CHARNAME (With high Intelligence) would really have needed a direct teacher. Presuming that Gorion or any of the other mages taught them the very basics, they could probably figure it out from there. Remember that Imoen's Intelligence is near the very peak possible for humans without magical enhancement. And CHARNAME, if you're planning to have him Dual Class into a Mage, might have 19 Intelligence, which would make him more brilliant than any human being in our history.

With a grasp of the basics, plentiful demonstrations of spell magic by numerous mages and access to more magical artifacts than you can shake a stick at, they could have worked out Wizardry by themselves.
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2014
    Aramintai said:

and that whooping 17 intellgence can't be just from natural brilliance.

Actually I'd say that's what this attribute states. 17 intelliigence at lvl 1 IS natural brilliance.

I just found out what plug tails are...
    If you are wondering, then I think this is a question better left to aged sages

So are you intellectually capable enough to explain the defiinition of this term or not? Boo, I'm counting on you.

I said hottest, not best looking! Hermione's sex appeal goes beyond physical appearance.

Which also does not leave much place to add anything.. 10/10 would meet my parents. :D