Skip to content

What beasts do you most dread fighting in BG2:SoA?

karnagekarnage Member Posts: 92
  1. What beasts do you most dread fighting in BG2:SoA?163 votes
    1. Beholders
      27.61%
    2. Wolfweres
        0.00%
    3. Vampires
      10.43%
    4. Undead (general)
        1.23%
    5. Illithids/Mind Flayers
      41.72%
    6. Wizards
        5.52%
    7. Demons/fiends
        3.68%
    8. Trolls
        0.61%
    9. Other
        9.20%

Comments

• karnagekarnage Member Posts: 92
    I got MY vote in:

Illithids. Vamprires are 2 and Beholders are 3.

They don't get you by doing damage; they get you by devouring your intelligence. Very often, I skip the Mind Flayer dungeon altogether!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    LEAVE MY BRAIN ALONE!!
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Beholders. I don´t know why people are so scared of Illithids. Even with SCS I find them very easily manageable. Just few protecitve spells and few summons and they are done. Without chance. But there isn´t any spell that would protect you against beholders when they can dispel any spell protection in a moment. Against more (3+)beholders you can´t cast defensive spell and smash them with brute force. You need to paralyze them, catch them into the web or something like this.
    I'm not scared of mind flayers! I'm terrified of them! (LoL)!
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    I voted for Mind Flayers more for RP reasons, than a difficulty of combat. In that regard, dragons would be first on my list. (They should be an option instead of trolls.)

@KidCarnival: I thought, you'd enjoy being the most dreaded of creatures. It's a free advertising.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    They are not difficult, but I really dislike fighting Rakshasa... immunity to level 1-7 (or 6?) spells and they cast annoying spells (chain lightning, sphere of chaos and such).
    Dragons were a silly oversight on my part. Rakshasa would have been a good option; better than trolls, LoL.
  • SerpionSerpion Member Posts: 67
    Rakshasa yes... In my last playthrough I had killed rakshasa in sewers via Keldorn's "Hallowed Redeemer" ability to deal damage to attacker... Spent a lot of cure potions due I had played on insane dificulty -)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    velehal said:

Beholders. I don´t know why people are so scared of Illithids. Even with SCS I find them very easily manageable. Just few protecitve spells and few summons and they are done. Without chance. But there isn´t any spell that would protect you against beholders when they can dispel any spell protection in a moment. Against more (3+)beholders you can´t cast defensive spell and smash them with brute force. You need to paralyze them, catch them into the web or something like this.

@velehal
    I refused to buy the Shield of Balduran cos I didn't expect to meet any more Beholders after the Unseeing Eye, and thought it was "too much gold to counter such a circumstantial threat".

Since then I have taken on dragons, mindflayers and even Demogorgon! But there is only one dungeon I ran away from like a little girl... the Beholders in the Underdark! Without the shield these guys are ridiculous. Even Gauth are nasty buggers that shoot pain and death like a magical machine gun!

I never understood the Mindflayer-phobia either. I have only died against them through my own carelessness. Otherwise just pop a few defensive spells, cast Chaotic Commands and keep an eye on your Intelligence, and chop away!

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Agreeing with the above, I tend to do beholder lairs without the shield of Balduran and with the SCS improved beholders component, and haven't found any clean, non-difficult way of handling them. It does instill a certain dread, and the incentive to prepare very carefully before going in.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    With SCS I managed both beholders and illithid on insane with a few reloads but wizards everywhere get annoying quick because with SCS there's no such thing as a quick wizard fight. You run into one when your out of ruby ray and it's just a battle of attrition...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Pecca said:

I voted for Mind Flayers more for RP reasons, than a difficulty of combat. In that regard, dragons would be first on my list. (They should be an option instead of trolls.)

@KidCarnival: I thought, you'd enjoy being the most dreaded of creatures. It's a free advertising.

@Pecca: If it was truly dread, yes. But these polls are thinly disguised abberacism (lost in translation; the word in my language means "irrational hatred toward multi-eyed beings based on jealousy") and basically ask "which of these fugly freaks can't you kill fast enough". SEE THE USE OF "BEAST" IN THE TITLE? That's what I'm talking about. No-one even gets to know us before passing judgement. I'm actually quite civilized and absolutely not a "beast" or "savage" or "monster". S̶O ́M͘IS͢U̸N͘D̴E҉R̡STOO̴D̀
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    I always play with aTweaks installed: makes protection from evil trivial and gives demons and fiends true sight, fiendish gating to summon an army of their own and many innate abilities.
    Without mods it's a no-brainer: Illithids.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    @KidCarnival: Nay, that's just playing with words. Beast or no beast, your kin is passing judgement like everyone else. Once I was feeling lonely, trapped in the Underdark, so I decided to go and have a little chat with someone in a beholder lair, over a cup of coffee. You now, just to forget the trouble for a moment. I didn't even finished saying "Hi", and they started shooting at me. What a hospitality! So, no sir, you may be civilized, but the rest of your species is not. You have to endure the hatred against you, which may feel unjust, but is actually very rational.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    My poor brain.
    @antagonist

However, at a certain point you can just put 4-6 buffs on one character and straight up melee a dragon to death... For example, for Adalon this time around, it was Protection from Magic Energy, Resist Fear, Improved Haste, Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Protection from Magic Weapons, Critical Strikes.

She went down moments after turning red... I had Jahiera on the other side with Iron Skins, Protection from Magic Energy, Resist Fear, Improved Haste, Armor of Faith, Shield of the Archons and Critical Strikes as well.

I even summoned a Deva for good measure, but it just got feared.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    the beast that lurks with in us all, is the one I dread the most
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Nothing else really sets off my hysterical paranoia like knowing I have to waltz into a den of brain-suckers :(

Also anything with level drain, because I always forget to have my casters re-memorize the spells they lost and don't realize it until I really really need my cleric to cast Death Ward but OH LOOK they don't have it memorized anywhere cause they were level drained a while ago *cries*
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    kryptix said:

@antagonist

However, at a certain point you can just put 4-6 buffs on one character and straight up melee a dragon to death... For example, for Adalon this time around, it was Protection from Magic Energy, Resist Fear, Improved Haste, Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Protection from Magic Weapons, Critical Strikes.

She went down moments after turning red... I had Jahiera on the other side with Iron Skins, Protection from Magic Energy, Resist Fear, Improved Haste, Armor of Faith, Shield of the Archons and Critical Strikes as well.

I even summoned a Deva for good measure, but it just got feared.

Maybe, but why are you in the underdark with HLAs? Of course the battle will be anticlimactic

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited January 2014
    @lroumen The underdark is about the point at which I start getting HLAs too.

Beholders really bug me because I don't use Balduran's Shield of Cheese. I think that is a bit unfair for them so I usually beat them other ways; such as throwing summons at them since they don't use their eye rays on summons.

As for illithid... they don't have a great thac0 and are basically defenseless if you find stun protection somehow. For me that was Haer'Dalis and his Enhanced Bard Song.
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2014
    @kryptix Yes I am aware of that :)

But I consider this thread about what I dread fighting, not what I find most difficult to fight. Despite I am able to beat the shit out of any dragon in the game I still feel a huge amount of respect for them. Beholder's strenght lays in their numbers. Illithids can overwhelm me because of their number. A dragon is a threat not comparable to any other single creature in the game, except a few unique ones. Immersive roleplay FTW!! Powergaming suxxx ^_^

BTW. I got out of the underdark and still only got one HLA so far (Korgan) the rest of the party is 17-18

@kryptix Yes I am aware of that :)

But I consider this thread about what I dread fighting, not what I find most difficult to fight. Despite I am able to beat the shit out of any dragon in the game I still feel a huge amount of respect for them. Beholder's strenght lays in their numbers. Illithids can overwhelm me because of their number. A dragon is a threat not comparable to any other single creature in the game, except a few unique ones. Immersive roleplay FTW!! ^_^

BTW. I got out of the underdark and still only got one HLA so far (Korgan) the rest of the party is 17-18

I don't get it... I had HLAs for almost all of my party by spellhold, Imoen got her first one right out of the underdark, or maybe at the end of the underdark. Does SCS really add that much more exp?

I didn't even try to power game levels either, I went with a 6 man party throughout chapters 2-3, so I actually have Nalia sitting in the Copper Coronet with well over 2 million exp. I also ran with Jan and Keldorn for a little while each (but I didn't do any major quest hand ins with Keldorn).

I did every quest and fight in Chapter 2-3 except the Dawn ring for Lathander and the Fallen Paladins.
    I didn't pick up Anomen, Mazzy, Edwin, or Dorn at all though because of conflicts. I did all of the other Personal quests, I didn't pick up Haer'Dalis or any of the other characters without personal quests.

I think I picked the higher exp option in every decision point, and memorized every scroll I could find/afford (with copious use of Hexxat's high stealing skill).

I did fight the SCS enhanced version of Ust Natha though, and that was probably worth a good 1-2 million exp for the whole team combined.

By the time I fought Adalon, I had probably between 3.5 and 4.2 million exp on all of my main party members. If I didn't use Nalia, it probably would have been higher.

Next time I'll try a run with only my final team in the party as much as possible and see if I can be higher level by the Underdark. I try not to do Watcher's Keep too early though because I like to save it for Imoen.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'm actually surprised more people don't say Wizards. While I fear Vamps and Beholders and Mind flayers, they all have pretty stock defenses that, with preparation, can render them fairly non-threatening.

I am even more surprised that Dragons and Liches are not on the poll. These, to me, are among the worst monsters in the game. I can't tell you how many times Firekrag or the Shadow Dragon have killed my party, not to mention that one in ToB.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Illithid! At least when i cannot safely cast 2-3 Mordekain Swords for kill them.

And in Vanilla Game they can kills also my undead, that is quite amazing, also because a Skeleton Warrior have not a brain :(

Damn cheater Illithids!

I'm actually surprised more people don't say Wizards. While I fear Vamps and Beholders and Mind flayers, they all have pretty stock defenses that, with preparation, can render them fairly non-threatening.

I am even more surprised that Dragons and Liches are not on the poll. These, to me, are among the worst monsters in the game. I can't tell you how many times Firekrag or the Shadow Dragon have killed my party, not to mention that one in ToB.

Yeah I'd have to say with SCS, my worst nightmare is running into a random Lich too early... There is almost nothing you can do outside of the smelliest of cheese to beat a lich before your fairly powerful with SCS...
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2014
    @kryptix

Ah you see, I had Charname Wild Mage,Neera(recently slain and replaced by Edwin),Hexxat,Dorn,Korgan,Vicky. I went through all major quests(D'Arnise keep, Umar, Windspear, Trademeet, Mae'Var, Unseeing Eye etc, some minor ones as well(Sir Sarles, Planar Sphere, Planar Prison, skinner murders, copper coronet, NPC questlines), but I don't really remember a large part of what can be done before spellhold so I probably skipped a significant number of quests, and I did not do any other NPC quests including not even bothering to bust the circus party on the promenade. And I have two wizards so a lot of scrolls written as well, but only the ones I saw fit, I did not write scrolls for pure xp. Don't know why such a difference.

Edit: now I'm in chapter 6 about to go get Bodhi and still most party hardly 3 milion xp each.