Skip to content

Large shields? what is the deal?

Is there a penalty to using the large shields in baldur´s gate? They seem rather cumbersome to use and I'm not sure wether to equip my new dwarven defender with a medium or a large shield?

also I wonder about the advantage to AC as I have heared certain smaller shields only offer protection against the first attack in a round.

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    The only penalty is that you must be above a certain Strength. They give the same bonus in melee, but large shields get an additional bonus against missile attacks, so if you want a shield there's no reason not to use the largest one possible.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2014
    Smaller shields protecting only against the first attack is a PnP rule which is not implemented as far as I know. Small shields won't protect against missiles as per their description.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The only disadvantages are the strength restriction which does hinder some clerics and the limited availability of good enchantments on large shields in BG2. Apart from that, go big or go home ;)
  • TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    Khalid can barely carry anything..

his strength sucks really.. so yeahh i get the strength restriction coz I also want to be able to carry the loot from the dungeons home!!

I got my dwarven defender char the large shield and he looks really cool behind it.