Skip to content

Font is too small/hard to read!

I'm a young guy, and have better than 20/20 vision with my glasses/contacts on, and I find this game almost unplayable on both my iPad and iPad mini. I think it's a combination of the words being too small, not sharp, and too close together.

In any case, for a game that's as text heavy as this, it is completely unplayable for me. Just a few minutes ago I closed the game, pulled up a different one, and said, "Ahhh, text I can READ!"

I would really like to throw myself into this universe, can you guys fix this in the next patch please?

(If this isn't the right place for this feedback, can someone point me to their support email address? This is all I could find)

Comments

• D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    I find the text fine to read, perhaps instead of changing the font size and/or type there should be a settings option to adjust the text? Is this possible?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited January 2013
    It might be a tad small on the mini, but on the full-size iPad it is quite fine.
  • MalecosMalecos Member Posts: 1
    So glad I found this game. Have a great time playing ( again ) and looking forward to the next patch. I'm playing on a mini. Any chance for an option for a larger font in the text area and quest dialogue windows? I'm getting old and even with my best pair of glasses, the font is really small on that IPad Mini. Font in the rest of the UI is fine as is, though would be great if it could be larger.

If it can be done, it would make by day.
  • JDWolfJDWolf Member Posts: 5
    I have to use the iPad's three-finger zoom to read the text. It's quite irritating. A clearer font and/or a bump in font size would be of great benefit.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I've had zero problems on a 4th gen iPad, but I always wear my reading glasses. Btw, I don't think 20/20 matters when reading. I have always been 20/20 or better, but I need reading glasses.
  • BaronVHBaronVH Member Posts: 13
    Completely agree that text is too small. Obviously, this will not be an issue for many, but even with my reading glasses on I find it difficult. To me, this is a larger issue than anything else. I certainly hope they have an option to make the font larger. Not only is it hard to read, but I have tapped a dialog choice I did not intend to make since the words were so small.
  • leoleo Member Posts: 10
    davemo said:

I've had zero problems on a 4th gen iPad, but I always wear my reading glasses.

And my microscope lol.

Completely agreed witch comment about adjustable text.

• BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    I'm playing this on a mini; most of the text is readable, but the one problem I have is the item quantity figure in my inventory (e.g. number of arrows, potions etc in a given inventory slot).

My vision is fine (don"t need glasses), but this teeny-tiny text is on the edge of legibility for me.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited January 2013
    I'll add it as a suggestion to the Known Bugs / Issues post. Not sure how much control they'll have over being able to do this since that font is part of the original game...their licensing may disallow a change like this, but it never hurts to ask.

The other issue with a font size change is breaking various portions of the game/interface due to text overflow. Often times, a game NOT designed with a scalable/modifiable font in mind to begin with makes it impossible to change that text size later down the line due to an interface that's been designed with a specific amount of "assumptions" built into it.

--Illydth
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited January 2013
    BaronVH said:

Completely agree that text is too small. Obviously, this will not be an issue for many, but even with my reading glasses on I find it difficult. To me, this is a larger issue than anything else. I certainly hope they have an option to make the font larger. Not only is it hard to read, but I have tapped a dialog choice I did not intend to make since the words were so small.

Regarding tapping the wrong dialogue choice, if you tap and hold a dialog choice, you can move your finger up and down the choices, and you'll select only when you release.
    It ought to have been mentioned in the manual and/or the tutorial, I didn't know about it myself until Trent posted the info somewhere...

Other than that, I find the text borderline small myself, but I don't think they'll be able to make it bigger due to the text wrapping that would occur.
  • matsudamatsuda Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, to increase font size you should add this( http://db.tt/FU1v34uA ) file to the Override folder (see the enclosed screenshot). All credits for this file go to Archaic BETA 5.5 GUI Mod
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It works if you drop that file into portraits folder too, so no need to create an override folder, and most importantly, jailbreak. Game recognises most files in portraits folder. Check my own thread for details! :-)
  • ChrisNHChrisNH Member Posts: 22
    Does this still work with 1.2?
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Bytebrain said:

BaronVH said:

Regarding tapping the wrong dialogue choice, if you tap and hold a dialog choice, you can move your finger up and down the choices, and you'll select only when you release.
    It ought to have been mentioned in the manual and/or the tutorial, I didn't know about it myself until Trent posted the info somewhere...

Other than that, I find the text borderline small myself, but I don't think they'll be able to make it bigger due to the text wrapping that would occur.

I discovered the dragging after the latest update. It helps, but is still lacking IMO.

I find the selecting work around insufficient. Touch screens are not precise when used with fingers because games usually register the release point as the location of the click. It is hard to make sure that the release point of a finger is where you want it without being extremely deliberate about it, which ruins immersion. While the highlighting helps calibrate when doing a click, it can still jump to another dialogue option upon release due to the broadness of our fingertips.

Also, my experience has been that sometime, after dragging the highlighted option around with my finger, nothing gets selected upon release. After multiple failed attempts to select this way, I sometimes end up having to select with just a normal click without dragging. For these reasons, I always quick save before initiating a dialog.

While I can accept the imprecision when moving party members, dialog is a different story because you can't undo mistakenly selected dialog options.