Skip to content

+1 amnmo

Is +1 sling ammo (for Jaheira) useful at the early stages of BG1 EE? or too expensive?

I watch her slinging away with the ammo that costs half of what I own pretty much and I'm inclined to say no, personally. My idea was to save it for a tough battle but somehow Jaheira keeps switching to the expensive bullets.

Comments

• TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    p.s. typo on the title of this thread.. sorry.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I don't bother with buying fancy ammo until after I've kitted up the party with Ring/Amulet of Protection, Full Plate Armour/Ankheg Armour, Shadow Armour, Army Scythe (Light Crossbow of Speed), Archmage Robes and all the scrolls I want.

If u want Jaheira to just use basic ammo, take the enchanted stuff out of her 'quiver'.
  • TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    @heindrich1988 I don't have all that stuff yet..

I'm still saving up for the plate armor for my dwarven defender and then I realized I had spent about 20 percent of the money for that on something you shoot at enemies that die in one shot but still I wonder about the usefulness of +1 ammo compared to other stuff I could buy with the first 1000-3000 gold you make in a standard BG1 game.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Generally I don't ever buy magical ammo until I have enough money that the cost isn't a factor anymore. Magical sling bullets are a bit more rare than magical arrows or bolts, but you'll get enough in the mid-end game that you won't be hurting for them. The main advantage of magical ammo is that you can hit enemies immune to normal weapons (fairly rare in BG1) or wizards that cast Protection From Normal Missiles (fairly common) so you can do without them for a while.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    I usually buy 20-40 rounds of +1 ammo fairly early for emergencies (Vampiric wolves...), but mostly use the cheap stuff until about the time I enter Baldur's Gate. That's about the time I start having money to burn, and then I switch and start using the good stuff routinely.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited January 2014
    Tigersag said:

Is +1 sling ammo (for Jaheira) useful at the early stages of BG1 EE? or too expensive?

Yes it is. There are a few enemies that are immune to regular non-magical weapons and ammo. For instance, there's a Vampiric Wolf near Beregost that you can't kill without magical weapons.
    My idea was to save it for a tough battle but somehow Jaheira keeps switching to the expensive bullets.
    You could always stash it in her regular inventory and equip it only when it`s needed.

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2014
    I don't really buy enchanted ammo for anything until I reach the city of Baldur's Gate. By that point you'll likely be swimming through big heaps of coin, Scrooge McDuck style.

Once you've got your money-filled swimming pool and top hat with a $ sign on it then sure, splash out for a bit of enchanted ammo. And some potions. Mmmm potions.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited January 2014
    You could switch the ammo stack from the quiver by right clicking the sling. Save it for immune to normal weapons enemies :)