Skip to content

BGII: EE XP Cap remover

Can someone please confirm if these files that worked with BG:EE also work for BGII:EE

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover

I would like a confirmation before I screw something up by "trying it" first.

Thanks!

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You do *not* want to use the BGEE startare.2da or startbp.2da files with BG2EE. If you do, you will see that your new games begin in a forest setting and you will be killed relatively quickly by a Crimson Mist (or is it a Vampiric Mist? something like that). Just edit the startare.2da, startbp.2da, and xpcap.2da files in BG2EE via Near Infinity.
  • MinscandBooMinscandBoo Member Posts: 77
    Yeeaahhh.... Let's just assume I would probably make matters worst by opening up a program I am unfamiliar with... Is there another way?
  • MinscandBooMinscandBoo Member Posts: 77
    Never mind... apparently I'm not as useless as I thought I was - Maybe (we'll see in about 400K xp)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Even in a worst-case scenario, you cannot permanently mess up your game--delete your edited files out of the override folder and they reset to the default.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    is the level cap remover even necessary for bg2?, the best I have ever done for experience up to the end fight in ToB was 7.1 million and the cap is 8 000 000, even my first run through in bg2ee I only hit about 6.6 or so million before I had completed everything and the only thing left was chapter 10
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah I seeeeeeeeeeeees
  • frisbeetfrisbeet Member Posts: 1
    Where does one get the BGIIEE-appropriate startare.2da, startbp.2da, and xpcap.2da files?
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013
    frisbeet said:

Where does one get the BGIIEE-appropriate startare.2da, startbp.2da, and xpcap.2da files?

You can access and extract them via DLTCEP and its 'Table' editor.

You open the table, edit it, and save the tweaked version in the game's Override folder.

Also, I'm not really sure, but doesn't the Tweak Pack have a cap removal option? I vaguely remember seeing it somewhere, both for extending the XP and un-unerfing thac0 and spell slot progression for casting classes.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2013
    Yes, seems to be quick enough to do under 'DLTCEP'.
    Here, v7.4b -->edit-->tables-->load (startare.2da/startbp.2da/xpcap.2da).
    the initial xp limit (and what to modify if more wanted) seems to be clear enough; 8 000 000. (v1.2.2030).
    That's one of the rare DLTCEP area that seems to be simple enough, without any 'unknown ressources' or such..i guess that would work like for the BG1EE modified 3 files in the override folder.. and voilà. ^
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/tools/dltcep.php

PS; Hm..apparently the most recent 'DLTCEP' versions (for BGxEE) are here; http://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Utilities/
  • andrewchibiandrewchibi Member Posts: 7
    Could someone take me through the process of removing the experience cap. I am not exactly proficient with computer technology.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Could someone take me through the process of removing the experience cap. I am not exactly proficient with computer technology.

Take the file Jalily posted and drop it in your override folder. Done!

• andrewchibiandrewchibi Member Posts: 7
    thank you
  • DragonPriestDragonPriest Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, Where can i find my override folder in BGII? Or....Do i have to create one?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 887
    edited January 2014
    @DragonPriest: You have to create one.
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Am I misunderstanding what Jalily's files are supposed to do? They allowed me to go from 40->41 (berserker) just fine, but if I try to take another level after that my APR goes down to 3/2, and that's just what was immediately visible, I didn't check if anything else changed, other than that I gained a huge bonus to saving throws (according to level up screen) and that my next level reads as -1.

I thought I'd just be able to gain levels indefinitely, even if just worth 3 HP, 1 lore, a HLA and 1/3 proficiencies :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    enqenq said:

Am I misunderstanding what Jalily's files are supposed to do? They allowed me to go from 40->41 (berserker) just fine, but if I try to take another level after that my APR goes down to 3/2, and that's just what was immediately visible, I didn't check if anything else changed, other than that I gained a huge bonus to saving throws (according to level up screen) and that my next level reads as -1.

I thought I'd just be able to gain levels indefinitely, even if just worth 3 HP, 1 lore, a HLA and 1/3 proficiencies :)

Anyone confirm this? @Jalily?

I'm about to use this to remove the cap from my game because I've somehow come close to the cap in a 6 man SOA run... My only single class characters are Neera, Hexxat and Viconia though so the others are at no risk of hitting level 40 any time soon... I think Neera and Imoen wouldn't anyway since Wizards have a hard time gaining levels later on... However, I hope they don't roll back to level -1 haha...
  • artyomartyom Member Posts: 26
    as I understand, the game does not have any xp level numbers other than the highest level you can normally be plus the next level, so after that next level it gets buggy nor would you gain anything because there are no known required xp you need.

So the infinite XP mod only helps with multiclass/duel class characters. So you could, for example, have a f/c/m with 8 million xp for each class with the unlimited xp mod without game going buggy for a total of 24mil xp.

So in short, the unlimited xp mod is really only helpful for multi or duel classes whose xp is normally capped by a combined 8 million
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    ^ ^ This.
    You would need to write new tables for anything over level 40 in a class. Or is it level 50? I don't use the cap remover, so I'm going off of what I remember reading elsewhere.
    i think level 41 is max.
    so you can either be a lvl 41 mage, or a lvl 41 mage/41fighter/41 thief multiclass

also, not sure, but I think max may have been 8 mil exp+ one more level. So for a mage it would be like lvl 37 or smth is max while for a thief it'd be lvl like 41
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Ah ok, makes sense, single classes really don't gain much after a while anyway, Viconia has long since already gotten all of her HLAs and so has Neera by this point, Hexxat has more traps than she can set at once...

I'll just have to remember at a certain point that clicking that level up button is a BAD idea on those guys.
    doing a walkthru of the black pits only takes like half a day and is really entertaining and you go from 100k xp to the 8 million.
    basically my observations are that pure clerics and druids have several levels where they dont gain anything aside from hp so probably the best idea is to duel class or multiclass if you want a cleric or druid because after about 5-6 million xp they dont really gain anything (aside from better lvl modifier on spells I guess and 1 hp per level).

And I wish I had known sooner, but a paladin seems to be able to summon devas/planetars or whatever, multiple times a day, as an HLA ability, whereas a barbarian cannot and I assume so cant a fighter. I'd say this is what makes a ranger/paladin better than fighters/barbs

playing black pits really gave alot of insight about stuff i didnt know before. I highly recommend it
    jackjack said:

You would need to write new tables for anything over level 40 in a class.

It's not like levels 20-40 have been very different from each other. I'm fine with 3 HP, 1 lore, 1 HLA and 1/3 prof per level, I just want to feel some kind of progression. I really enjoy soloing but the sole character upgrades left for me to look forward to are upgrading my Staff of the Ram and the hell rewards, and maybe some other stray ToB item.

Would it be much work to just extend the current tables by a gazillion levels at say 500k exp intervals that keep granting the same stuff?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @enqenq
    I don't think it'd be terribly complicated - as you say, not too much goes on for 20 some-odd levels before that. As far as the actual editing work, I imagine you could just replicate what comes before to continue the progression ad infinitum. I couldn't begin to tell you how to go about it though. My programming knowledge, if you can call it that, is strictly SQL-related, naught else.
    Alright. If someone could kindly tell me what file to open and which program to open it with, I'll unleash Trial +1 and Error +6 on it.
  • KalyssaKalyssa Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the advices. Started soloing EE with Fighter/Cleric and now in ToB reaching lvl cap. Still heading towards Watchers Keep. (Going solo against Firkraag in SoA was awesome.)
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Sorry I am bumping this thread, but where am i supposed to create my override folder that path?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\override

?
  • OnonymOnonym Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2014
    Attached the experience cap removal files for BG2EE. Extract these into your /overide/ directory. (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override)

Keep in mind the base game does not support leveling beyond level 41.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    CamDawg said:

Or you could just use the one in BG2 Tweaks with a built-in installer that actually patches all of the needed files.

I'm having a déjà vu :)