Skip to content

Probably a stupid question about the spellbook

Hi. I've been playing through Baldur's Gate EE and absolutely loving it. One of the best games ever made. I don't know why I didn't play it sooner. However I've got a problem with the spellbook...

My party (Me, Imoen, Kahlid, Jahiera, Misnc and Dhahiner) are all around the level 3-4 mark. However I don't seem to be able to use spells that I have memorised above level 2. I have a spell slot free, but when I click on a memorised spell that's higher than level 1, nothing happens. Am I missing something? I've consulted the manual but can't find a solution to my problem. =/

Comments

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited December 2013
    EDIT: Nevermind, I think I've messed up a bit. ;)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Yay somebody using the canon party for a first playthrough! :D

Ok… it sounds like a bug, but just to be sure:

1) Have you rested after selecting spells to actually commit them to memory?

2) Are u wearing armour? I think u can use innate abilities (some of which resemble spells) whilst armoured, but u cannot cast any Arcane spells whilst wearing any armour.

3) What is ur Charname’s class? If he/she is not a mage/sorcerer/bard, the only Arcane caster u have is Dynaheir. She is an Evoker, which means she cannot learn enchantment spells like Sleep. I don’t know if that might be relevant.

4) Jaheira is a Divine caster, so she can wear armour and cast spells just fine, and she will learn spells automatically as she levels up. However, she still needs to rest to prepare spells for the next day.

That’s all I can think of right now…

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    What character are you trying to cast spells with? If your PC is a mage with only ~11 intelligence, you may be unable to learn higher level magic. If that's the case, I'd actually restart the game or edit the character, because you'll be pretty screwed for the rest of the saga.

We need more specifics as to what your problem is, in other words.
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2013
    When you open your spellbook and select a caster (either charname or Dynaheir, don't know if charname is a wizard) u got two sections, right? Top with the icons is known spells that are written down in your book, bottom with squares gives info how many and which spells of this particular spell level are memorized. Dynaheir at level 3 should have 3 squares available on 1st page and 2 squares on 2nd page. When you click a spell icon on top of the book, it will be copied to one of available squares on the bottom. If all squares are full, then you have reached your limit and no more spells can be memorized, unless you remove them from the square and replace with another. That's how it should work.

However, from what you said I understand you have an empty square on 2nd page and none of your known 2nd page spells copy inside the square when you click them? Or by saying "spell slot" you don't mean a slot in the book but the one at the bottom of the HUD?
  • SnufflegruntSnufflegrunt Member Posts: 3
    Ha, I didn't know that was the canon party!

Sorry I should have specified that my character is a fighter. I am trying to cast spells with Dynaheir. On the 2nd page onwards in her spellbook there are no squares under it like there are for the 1st page. She is level 4 and has learnt some spells on each page.
    That's why nothing hap... Wait. Dynaheir is lvl 4 and there are no squares at the bottom of her spellbooks 2nd page? Give me a screenshot.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, a screenshot would be nice. Dynaheir should have gotten two level 2 mage spell slots upon reaching level 3, and more at level 4.
    In case you don't know - press Print Screen button on keyboard and the game will automatically save it in your Documents/Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition/ScrnShot folder
  • SnufflegruntSnufflegrunt Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    Sorry I made a bit of a mistake. I'm still getting used to the GUI. I levelled her up to 3, but then I reloaded from an older save and forgot that she hadn't levelled up at that point. If I level her up now then the slots appear. I didn't realise that the spellbook is a level behind; I thought that page 2 = level 2, so if I had a level 2 mage then I would get slots on page 2.

Sorry for being misleading. Thanks so much for your help, but could someone explain to me why the spellbook doesn't level up with the character? Very confusing. I've not really played DnD before apart from a brief 4th ed game about a year ago.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
    Something you just might find useful someday ;)

http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts

Spellbook does lvl up with your charname, but sometimes you don't get access to a higher circle of spells, but instead recieve more slots to memorize in the lower levels. You see, there are only 9 cirles of Arcane spells and 7 circles od Divine spells, yet character may get to 20+ level. You'll learn in time, trust me, it's worth it ;)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    *cleans up the mess @Metalloman did* ;)
    Besides what @Heindrich1988 (BTW I resurrected you and @Shandyr in my wall) said is correct, you can get HLAs that give extra level 6, 7 and 8 spellslots, and there are some rings and stuff that give extra spellslots too, I made a list for thee.

Ring of Wizardry, doubles lvl1 spells in BG:EE, in BG2:EE it gives one 5, 6 and 7 extra spellslots.
    Ring of Acuity, gives 2 lvl 2, one lvl 3, and 4, BG2:EE only.
    Circlet of Netheril, extra lvl 7 and 8, BG2:EE only.
    Bronze Ioun Stone, extra lvl 7
    Dak'kon's Zerth Blade, extra 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    Bard's Gloves, extra 2, 3 and 4.
    edited December 2013
    By saying HLAs, @CrevsDaak meant High Level Abilities. In case you may not know ;) But don't get too focused on this useless (for now) spoiling knowledge. Good luck in your game ;)
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited December 2013
    And while we are giving magic advice, the best advanced introduction and compilation of spells and their capabilities that I know of: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/GeneralSpellInfo.htm
    Post edited by Skaffen on
    Oh my god, why did I open this link, so much cheese there..
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

I didn't realise that the spellbook is a level behind; I thought that page 2 = level 2, so if I had a level 2 mage then I would get slots on page 2.

You can get new spells every other level. On the off levels you only get more slots for spells in the levels you're able to make use of. So with your 2nd character level you'll get another 1st level slot, or maybe two. On the 3rd character level you can cast 2nd level spells, and maybe get another 1st level slot. 4th character level will give you more slots for 1st and 2nd level spells, then by 5th character level you can cast 3rd level spells, etc.