Skip to content

Imoen is broken as a dual class

I decided to dual class her after level 7 to based her off the BG2EE version. But dual classing her was a waste because it made the Thief class inactive. Uhmm why?

Comments

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2014
    In bg 1 6 is the maximum level to dual to mage to regain thief.

Edit Opps I messed up. It's 7.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    You're thinking of multi-classing where both would be active at the same time. The way a dual-class works is that the class you dual FROM is inactive (i.e. no abilities, proficiency, gear, etc is useable) until you're 1 level ABOVE your previous class. Imoen's thief levels won't come back until she reaches Mage level 8 (which is possible under the cap).
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    You need to get past the 'starting' class level with the 'new' class level to recover it's effects when dual classing. Once you hit level 7 mage, you should recover her thieving abilities.

Honestly, dual classing in BG 1 is rarely worth it.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @ReadingRambo

False in BGEE, just like in ToTSC you can dual to mage as a level 7 thief and still regain your thief abilities by the end of the game. It just takes for god damn ever.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    dual classing ALWAYS makes the other class inactive until you "recover" your levels. So if you dual at 2nd, you won't get your other class bonuses until you hit 3rd. To get Imoen's theiving abilities back you're going to have to hit level 8
    Back in original BG I would always dual her to illusionist, which is not possible anymore without mods.

@ReadingRambo

False in BGEE, just like in ToTSC you can dual to mage as a level 7 thief and still regain your thief abilities by the end of the game. It just takes for god damn ever.

I said it was rarely worth it, not that it couldn't be done.
    edited January 2014
    @onestep Dragonspear was directing that statement at me, your statement was perfectly valid :)
    edited January 2014

@onestep Dragonspear was directing that statement at me, your statement was perfectly valid :)

Oh. That's a bit of a derp for me then.

edited January 2014
    I thought the game gave a tremendous amount of warning during the dual process, it seems not

edit: that sounded condescending but wasn't my intention sorry
    Post edited by ReadingRambo on
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Thanks everone... guess I will have to find a way to level up imoen until then
    edited January 2014
    It shouldn't be to difficult. Imoen's spellbook is a blank slate so I would recommend removing everyone except her and the PC and read a ton of scrolls from high hedge (or if you are in BG from the Sorcerer store) after Imoen drinking a potion of genius. The xp will only be split between the two of you. She will regain thief in no time that way. Then grab the rest of your party back. You can role-play that she is studying with Thalantyr during this time :)

I might be wrong, EE gives xp from scribing scrolls right?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185

It shouldn't be to difficult. Imoen's spellbook is a blank slate so I would recommend removing everyone except her and the PC and read a ton of scrolls from high hedge (or if you are in BG from the Sorcerer store) after Imoen drinking a potion of genius. The xp will only be split between the two of you. She will regain thief in no time that way. Then grab the rest of your party back. You can role-play that she is studying with Thalantyr during this time :)

Yes, but only 10XP per spell level.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    You can always spam rest ankhegs.
    edited January 2014
    Okay now im still convince imoen is broken. She is now a level 7 mage and her level 7 thief is still inactive. What gives? How many level do I need to get her thief back?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

This theory works fine for BG2, but not so much for BG. The XP distribution for spells (and other special abilities) is MUCH lower in BG than in the sequel.

Still, in the latter end of the game, XP awards should be high enough such that spinning through the 'lower' levels of the new dual class shouldn't be terribly slow. Particularly if you know where the big money rewards are located.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    A cheesy solution is honestly to maker her a multi-class with EEKeeper. My last BGEE playthrough I made her a thief/illusionist halfling (lol, wtf?) but then said whatever and made her a human multi. Honestly, it ended up being a lot of fun. It depends if you are one of those people who consider this cheating or not.
    Okay finally got her to level 8 mage and it worked. Took forever. Glad killing Antkegs helped

lv 8. You need to surpass your original class.

Edit: Which is why people don't normally dual-class her in BG 1 at lv7, cos it takes a really long time.

edited January 2014
    They took out the method I discovered as a kid, using the flesh golem cave. That seemed to be the quickest xp exploit I found. Nowadays I purposefully avoid excess xp :)
  • LareitLareit Member Posts: 3
    Indeed but you can still exp rest farm the outside of Durlags if your fighters are up to it.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited January 2014
    Onestep said:

@ReadingRambo

I said it was rarely worth it, not that it couldn't be done.
    lvl4 imoen/mage
    much thief
    so damage
    very spellbook
    wow arrows
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Dual-classing is generally broken mechanic in Baldur's Gate games. It also has no sene role-playing wise, unless your first class is a cleric.
  • RafnerRafner Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2014

Dual-classing is generally broken mechanic in Baldur's Gate games. It also has no sene role-playing wise, unless your first class is a cleric.

Why does that make more sense?
    @Rafner
    Because cleric can have a little crisis of faith - and as such, he loses his abillities that his god has granted him. Furthermore, the former cleric has to pick some other profesion in order to survive as a adventurer.

And the point of reclaiming his once lost cleric abillities can be interpreted as a return to service for his god.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited January 2014
    I once played a PnP character who was initially a fighter, however a close encounter with a dragon in his early fighter career caused him to seriously reconsider his path and so converted to a cleric for the good of his immortal soul.

It also caused him to drink heavily, mainly to shut out the memory of his entire party being roasted and eaten by a hungry Great Red Wyrm. One of my more fun characters.

Point of the post being, with adequate roleplay reasoning I dispute that only clerics can realistically dual-class from their cleric class into another.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    It's tricky but I think you can justify it with some creativity. If you dual class immediately in Irenicu¢' dungeon you can say it was a bout of amnesia and when you regain your first class it's your memory returning.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    nano said:

It's tricky but I think you can justify it with some creativity. If you dual class immediately in Irenicu¢' dungeon you can say it was a bout of amnesia and when you regain your first class it's your memory returning.

Oh no... amnesia storylines... can we just find a shark for charname to jump over?

More serious: As far as cleric is concerned, maybe you grew up a cleric, then became and adventurer and realized you needed to fight. You still worship your god, but now you are training as a warrior to spread his message. You still pray and receive spells, but are not learning new ways to communicate with your deity.

Or perhaps you are a Priest of Illmater and love suffering so much you dual into a wizard slayer or beastmaster :D
    edited January 2014
    @decado
    So, durning the fighter as being inactive class, you character will never hold a sword, even while being in life-threatening situation. You cannot forget/unlearn your body reactions and muscle memory at whim or by drinking. All above is not justificable by anything.

Only amnestia excuse can be considered good one, but I can already see that the fact that your Kensai lost his memory fortunately at level 13 and became a mage is little too convenient.

EDIT: post edited so that it would make more sense, according to my intentions.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on