Skip to content

Edwin or Minsc?

bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
You have 10 seconds to save only one person. Is it going to be Edwin or Minsc?

Irenicus: "It's time for more experiments."
  1. Edwin or Minsc?103 votes
    1. Edwin
      32.04%
    2. Minsc
      52.43%
    3. Neither! I'll enjoy watching them suffer in their death!
        9.71%
    4. O NOO!! PLEEASSE DONT MAKE ME CHOOSE....!!
        5.83%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    Minsc is a very loyal character and comes with a miniature giant space hamster. What more do you need?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Minsc. I don't need some other arcane caster stealing all my loot.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Minsc for one reason and one reason only. He's good-aligned and protective.
    Edwin is Lawful Evil, a Thayan and a Red Wizard. You're NOTHING but a means to power/gold and you're expendable to him.

Do you want to save someone that will sell you out or leave you at the first chance?

And if we don't metagame that we know their personalities, I would still choose Minsc for the simple reason that he's huge and much more durable than a mage.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I voted Minsc, but neither one of them are among my favorite characters in BG1. However, I almost never use Edwin, whereas I'll usually have Minsc in my party for a certain period of time.
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    Should have been something like Minsc or Jaheira. I can't believe Edwin even got a vote at all
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I'll be the evil one here, and say that they can both suffer. I really don't consider either of them my favorite.

However, if there was an option to save just Boo I would go for it.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I'll be the evil one here, and say that they can both suffer. I really don't consider either of them my favorite.

They're both rather overrated IMO.

Edwin has terrible stats outside of his intelligence and can't identify things in the field, which I find to be very irritating.

Minsc is basically a pure tank with mediocre dexterity and constitution. During my last playthrough, he got taken out by a single flame arrow from a kobold. The plus side was that I didn't have to debate who I was going to remove to allow Xan in. ;-)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SharGuidesMyHand

2 things on Minsc:

With his strength, but terrible dex and con, his job is to provide muscle BEHIND someone with a shield. Putting Khalid or a PC in front of him and letting him use his crazy strength to clean up is nice. Dual Wielding Stupifier + X in BG1 or using a 2h sword it doesn't matter.

I like Minsc in the second row out of the 3 rows I normally run (using the pentagon formation):

First Row: The one holding the shield, probably has boots of speed (ideally a dwarf), who runs in first and soaks up punishment. By Mid BG2, this is often a fighter/cleric of some sort due to their buffs.

Second row (3 across): This is where the proverbial beatdown is, 2h weapon users, monks, dual wielders, etc all go here. Sure they have enough health to maybe take a shot or two, but their big selling point is cleanup and making sure nothing gets to the 3rd row.

Third Row: Our fragile little finger wagglers, archers, stone throwers, dart throwers, you get the idea. They all go back here. With plenty of bodies in front of them, usually they're safe from most things. Even my normal scout, unless I think they're powerful enough to be in row 2 (I'm looking at you Valygar), goes here (Imoen, Yoshimo, et al). The reason is that unless I use them for a backstab, chances are they're using ranged weapons etc. A blade for example wouldn't go back here, but something like a jester probably would. Avenger or Cernd, etc would all be back here.

Anyway, Minsc is fairly solid in the second row, with the only downside being that you'll never really use his rage there cause he might target other party members. In this area, I find him only passed by, Dorn, Keldorn (post str belt and/or Carsomyr), Shar-teel (if you keep her as a fighter), Rasaad (primarily post lvl 14).

Disclaimer: I've never run a seriously magic heavy party, so I have a heavy reliance upon strength based damage dealers.
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Minsc and Boo stands ready!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm choosing Edwina any day of the week over Minsca.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    "You simians may refer to me merely as "Sir," if you prefer a less... syllable-intensive workout."
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2014
    I would never choose that douchebag over Minsc. Even in an Evil party I'm quite surprised that most of the evil NPC's don't crack his skull open.

EDIT: now that I think about it, actually from RP point of view one could make an argument that Edwin's survival rate would be increased with a good party, since almost all of those have enough moral conduct to not kill him outright for his annoying character. Whereas Korgan wouldn't last a week if insulted :)
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I would save Minsc, but I more often play with Edwin.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I rather enjoy the verbal abuse.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Minsc purely for the conversations, especially with Jan.
    And how else is Evil going to meet a sword?
  • RafnerRafner Member Posts: 64
    Minsc simply because I prefer good aligned parties.
  • That1DudeThat1Dude Member Posts: 19
    I dunno about Minsc but Boo must not be allowed to perish!!
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I generally prefer good. I do. And Minsc is basically your main character's bro: forever loyal, forever by your side, and much more willing to stand with you while you do henious acts then any other good character in the series.

...But Edwin is just so entertaining. He's one of my favorites, with his sarcasm and his muttering to himself and his stupidly ineffectual plans and his general crazy. I can't help it. He's awesome.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014
    Edwin's more entertaining. That and having genius like intelligence brings more advantages to my ideal adventuring party. Oh, and amulet of cheese.
    Also, it's not as if Edwin hides the fact he wants power above all, but not being dumb he probably knows adventuring with a child of Bhaal is the best way to get that, so long as you aren't a paladin/goody-two-shoes.
    I'd murder both of them on the spot for Jan, however.
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    I will not choose,...

Points at Irenicus CTRL + Q : auto-recruit creature under cursor into party

Take this Irenicus !
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Boo is too young to be an orphan!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited January 2014
    Lets be real for a second: I love both characters (though I only sparingly use Edwin due to alignment) but they are both comic relief. Great comic relief at that.

I find Edwin's snarkiness and off-kilter megalomania incredibly entertaining. He is worth taking for his voice and his funny comments alone. He is the ultimate savant and his muttering about his ineffective plots to overthrow you often make me smile. But really... there is absolutely zero depth to this character, and no way to feel empathy toward his needs/wants.

Minsc is just as hilarious, and for me the most memorable character in the game. He is the ultimate bro, and got your back through and through. The game is camaraderie, adventure and steel on steel, and nobody embodies it more than he does.

The reason I pick Minsc are two-fold:
    1. Unlike Edwin you actually do have a reason to feel compassion toward his character. He grows up with you as two young adventurers far from home on the Sword Coast and he also experiences a great loss and sense of failure. This gives me a reason to care for him. As entertaining as Edwin is, there is nothing about him other than his witty remarks that would make him your friend.
    2. Boo is the most over-powered item in the game. The little trinket that Edwin wears on his neck is a pathetic bauble compared to the morale and wisdom that Boo brings to the party.

Boo is too young to be an orphan!

Or to avenge him!
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    no contest at all
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Depends on the value of the gear they're carrying. I can go on without either of them, but I'll be damned before the party loses the Bag of Holding.
    Mitchfork said:

Depends on the value of the gear they're carrying. I can go on without either of them, but I'll be damned before the party loses the Bag of Holding.

Can't you just loot the dead one?

... and what's to prevent us from raising the deadee. Ahahah! Found a loophole bbear!
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390

Mitchfork said:

Can't you just loot the dead one?

... and what's to prevent us from raising the deadee. Ahahah! Found a loophole bbear!
    For some reason I was imagining that they were both hanging from a ledge about to fall into the abyss or something. You can't loot a body that you can't find. :(

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    @Silverstar:

Let's just say that the victim gets chunked.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    My Initial relation was well, Edwin of course, but then I visuized Edwin and Minsc trapped in glass cages with a bucket of lava about to be dumped on their head, and I could only save one. In this visualization Edwin first said, "WELL?!" And then Minsc said too boo, "worry not boo, Edwin will save us." And thier was no way Minsc was gonna die.
    bbear said:

Let's just say that the victim gets chunked.

You're no fun.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    PS I think Edwin's intellect is overrated. Provoking a giant berserk warrior to cut you into tiny pieces every time you are in a party together does not strike me as a very smart thing to do (though this deficit may be better represented by wisdom)