Skip to content

near infinity... a little help! :)

maximaxi Member Posts: 86
Hi everyone!
first thing to say, I know nothing about modding and I never used Near Infinity... So I downloaded it, but I don't even know how to start!! there is no a exe file to execute the program...
I just wanted to create a custom item (like a katana or something like that) to give charname (for BGEE).
so if someone can give me some hints please! :)
thanks

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    NI doesn't require installation and doesn't have an exe file, just double click the jar file and you are ready to go.

However you need Java for it to work, so check here to see if Java is installed on your system and if it is up to date.
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    I already installed java, but I can't find the jar file, I can only see .class files... and also in the near infinity I downloaded there are 2 folders, one is version 1.3.0 and the other is 1.3.0-ci
    do you know what's the difference?
    Maybe you downloaded the source code instead of the compiled version. Try downloading from here, by clicking one of the green buttons.

If you are using Windows you can download NearInfinity-1.3.0-ci.jar or NearInfinity-1.3.0.jar, it doesn't matter. Otherwise you should use the 1.3.0-ci version as it will work also on case sensitive systems.
    ok thanks! first step completed! :)
    now, for example, I would like to create a new special item for charname, like a katana. So I was thinking to start edit and item like katana+1 or katana+2, but any modification I try to apply the program ask me to overwrite the file dialog.tlk
    is that normal? I mean, I would like to avoid to change any important thing in the game and then have problems, crashes etc...
    You can create items with NI without having to overwrite the file dialog.tlk, if you do not use custom names and/or descriptions for them (e.g. recycling existing names and/or descriptions).

If you really want to use custom names and/or descriptions, you could edit the file dialog.tlk with NI, but it is not recommended as it would make your changes incompatible with other mods and it will prevent you from sharing your items with others.

To add names and/or descriptions you should really use WeiDU.

It is quite easy to create new items with NI and use WeiDU just to change names and descriptions.

See here for a brief introduction to WeiDU.
    and what about IEEP? is it good or easier than NI? I find it kind of complicated, maybe just because I never did anything with it... I should find a simple tutorial to start I guess...
    edited January 2014
    I'm not familiar with IEEP. Does it supports the EE ?

Other alternatives to NI are WeiDU and DLTCEP. I use and I like both, but I find them even less user friendly than NI :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    IEEP is outdated, I wouldn't recommend it.
    do you guys know where I can find a tutorial that explain how to create items with NI?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    maxi said:

I already installed java, but I can't find the jar file, I can only see .class files...

You probably have Windows set to ignore known file extensions. Looking in my folder, I only see two files, both of which will launch NI. If they don't then you don't have Java installed correctly.

@Erg
    I have a question: so, imagine that with NI I open the file katana+1 (I guess in all BGEE there are only 1 or 2) and start modifing it. I make it +3 and I add some abilities, then I save it changing the name and overwriting the katana+1. Probably the program will ask me to overwrite the dialog.tlk and I say yes... so at this point what will happen? will I find my katana maybe in daveorn's dungeon?
    of course I would like to create a new item from zero, but I have no idea how to do it...
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    maxi said:

@Erg

of course I would like to create a new item from zero, but I have no idea how to do it...

You could always just make a copy of the default Katana and edit from there. Just right click on the item and you'll see an option to add a copy. You'll be required to create a new name for it, but everything else will be identical to the original. So just work from that.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @maxi Like @Belanos says you can just before you start editing export the katana +1 .ITM file to your override and give it a different filename. Then open that file in NI and edit it. NI will also let you edit dialog.tlk if you want to give it a different name or description (edit -> dialog.tlk -> add) - don't try to edit dialog.tlk while the game is running though.

Once this is done and the changes saved, the easiest way to get it into the game is to use the console to create the item ingame, or EE Keeper to add it to one of your saves.
    good suggestion! this is what I am trying now, still I have problem undertand everything, like different abilities to give the item etc..., but at least I have now an item to work on!
    thanks guys! :)