Skip to content

Transferring custom sound sets from PC to iPad

Ok, I'm pretty sure my search-fu must be weak because I would think that what I'm trying to do is pretty common: transfer custom sound sets from PC to iPad. The problem is, when I choose 'Copy from PC' in the iFunBox options, choose all my custom sound sets (name 'custom1.wav', etc), nothing ever copies up to the folder! It still just shows the same old Male001a.wav, etc. My files never upload! Has anyone else run into this? I'm really scratching my head why the sound files won't copy over when everything else (save game files, portraits) copied right over. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• firebringerfirebringer Member Posts: 25
    Ok so now it appears the problem is more widespread. Because I don't have a jail-broken iPad iFunbox can't write to any folder under .app . This includes the sounds and, even worse, override. So....anybody have a work around? I can't believe that no one has come up with a way to write files to the override folder for iPads....

I guess I could jailbreak the iPad but then everytime I sync it through iTunes I think have problems with folders and permissions getting overwritten again.

I'm all ears if anyone has a work around to this!
  • greenfishgreenfish Member Posts: 84
    First, this one is better imo: http://uploaded.net/file/fu3c9h6d
    iTools

Regardless, the correct path you want is /Library
    You're not suppose to go into Baldur's Gate.app

start the application, browse to your ipad, then applications, click on "browse" baldurs gate.

Go into "Library"

This is where you put your "portraits" folder (make sure it's spelled exactly as I typed it)
    Correct path is: /Library/portraits

Enjoy!

I have a jailbroken ipad, and I still can't even touch Baldur's Gate.app without the app overwritting my last changes, don't ask me why this is happening.
    edited January 2014
    Greenfish,

Thanks for the response. One question though, are you saying I can use the portraits folder for custom sound files and item/class/etc overrides? I don't have any problems uploading portraits to the iPad, but sounds and overrides weren't working. If I drop an updated CHARSND.2DA into the portraits folder, is that going to work?
    Hi, sorry missread your topic title.

You place the sounds in /Library/sounds

Just make a folder if it's not already there called "sounds"

"CHARSND.2DA" no idea what file that is, but they need to be correctly tagged (name) and in wav

I never tried the "override" folder, since I can't write anything to that folder, even though my root filesystem is jailbroken.

But if you're just interested in sounds, you only need to put the in the library-sounds location

I don't whats going on, but I have a /Library/sounds folder, I've named my files 'custom0a.wav', etc. and they still don't show up in the list of available sound sets on my iPad2. I've even placed copied of the sound files in the portraits directory, but nothing seems to work.

People have actually successfully gotten BG to detect custom soundsets on the iPad by placing them in a '\Library\sounds' folder?

I don't whats going on, but I have a /Library/sounds folder, I've named my files 'custom0a.wav', etc. and they still don't show up in the list of available sound sets on my iPad2. I've even placed copied of the sound files in the portraits directory, but nothing seems to work.

People have actually successfully gotten BG to detect custom soundsets on the iPad by placing them in a '\Library\sounds' folder?

Errr... yes.. i'm one of them.. wasn't that obvious?

Have you tried to download a properly tagged soundset folder?

Try this one:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_soundsets_portraits.php
    Lol Greenfish sorry yeah it's not that I didn't believe you, I'm just frustrated that I can't get them working. Are there any capitalization rules for the file names that are particular to the iPad? I've never had any problems with sound file names on the PC version, so this is perplexing.

As far as using sound files downloaded from Sorcerer's Place, I was under the impression that the original compression used with sound files from the original BG and BG2 (pre EE) didn't work with EE. It'd be great if the old sound files worked with EE because then I could the Planescape Torment soundsets that I have.

Lol Greenfish sorry yeah it's not that I didn't believe you, I'm just frustrated that I can't get them working. Are there any capitalization rules for the file names that are particular to the iPad? I've never had any problems with sound file names on the PC version, so this is perplexing.

As far as using sound files downloaded from Sorcerer's Place, I was under the impression that the original compression used with sound files from the original BG and BG2 (pre EE) didn't work with EE. It'd be great if the old sound files worked with EE because then I could the Planescape Torment soundsets that I have.

Hmm no I don't think so, at least that was on PC but not on ipad.

I'm using dwarf from warcraft (sorcerers place).

Just uninstalled baldurs gate 1&2 on ipad completly.

Re-installed bg 2, made my own custom portrait/sound folder. Everything worked for me.

I'm not sure why this is not working for you, maybe contact beamdog directly?

Hmm i did buy the soundpackage from apple store, not sure if that will help you. Didn't like their voices though, that's why i'm using custom.
  • BGmonkBGmonk Member Posts: 6
    Someone knows what the outcome of this is? i am also trying to get it work but some voice sets do work (I have most of bg2 voices in bg1 now playing keldorn etc) but alot of sound sets don't work like Jon Irenicus crashes the game, it really sux cu i wanna solo with him!