Skip to content

Imoen is broken as a dual class

2»

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

That amnesia was too convenient, wasn't it?

Isn't it always?
    edited January 2014
    I'd watch that.
    Edit: you forgot the obligatory coma.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What have I done...
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

@decado
    So, durning the fighter as being inactive class, you character will never hold a sword, even while being in life-threatening situation. You cannot forget/unlearn your body reactions and muscle memory at whim or by drinking. All above is not justificable by anything.

Only amnestia excuse can be considered good one, but I can already see that the fact that your Kensai lost his memory fortunately at level 13 and became a mage is little too convenient.

EDIT: post edited so that it would make more sense, according to my intentions.

lol

this escalated quickly
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited January 2014

@decado
    So, durning the fighter as being inactive class, you character will never hold a sword, even while being in life-threatening situation. You cannot forget/unlearn your body reactions and muscle memory at whim or by drinking. All above is not justificable by anything.

Only amnestia excuse can be considered good one, but I can already see that the fact that your Kensai lost his memory fortunately at level 13 and became a mage is little too convenient.

EDIT: post edited so that it would make more sense, according to my intentions.

@ZelgadisGW Nah, in the realms of metagame it was always a planned change therefore he used crushing weapons all the way through both careers. I could also if required justify it as mental rejection, the experience was so traumatic that he consciously rejected the old ways in favour of the new - at least until enough time had passed to resolve this in himself (ie. his cleric level exceeded that of his fighter level).

As for a fighter dualing into a mage from BG1 into BG2? My take would be along these lines.

CHARNAME: Haha! I'm a big strong fighter type! FEAR ME!
    Irenicus: Magically blasts everyone and everything into ash. "You were saying?"
    CHARNAME: Well shiiiiiiiit. I gotta get me some of that! *Utterly devotes self to learning new wizardly career in order to kick Irenicus's ass*
    Man, everything sounds cooler when David Warner says it.
  • avocadoavocado Member Posts: 24
    Reading the AD&D books, (found a 6 thousand page .pdf file o.0 ) the logic was something like this:
    After you dual away from a fighter, you spend your time immersed in spell books and the like. Since you're still learning your way around a spell, any experience you spend in your old warrior habits makes it that much harder for you to get the basics down as a mage, and so you would suffer a EXP penalty. Although technically doable depending on the DM, the game simply locks you on the "proper" path.

After you surpass your old class, relying on your old habits won't break you from your newer, more powerful habits. Make sense?
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    nano said:

oh my god I would watch the heck out of that show

more tabloid headlines:
    "Aerie pregnant! But who is the father?

Could be Francois Hollande if recent news reports are anything to go by?

• toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    Imoen as mage is pretty weak, even back then I never dualed her always kept her as thief, now with Neera added to mix, I either cheat and use EE Keeper or use my BG EE save, you have 3 possible mages with BG II EE, and only 2 thieves one which sucks and the other well you don't have him for long
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    toshiro said:

Imoen as mage is pretty weak, even back then I never dualed her always kept her as thief, now with Neera added to mix, I either cheat and use EE Keeper or use my BG EE save, you have 3 possible mages with BG II EE, and only 2 thieves one which sucks and the other well you don't have him for long

mages

Nalia
    Jan
    Neera
    Edwin
    Imoen
    Aerie

thieves

Jan
    Nalia
    Imoen
    Yoshimo
    Hexxat
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    toshiro said:

yeah, I don't get this. In BG2, Yoshi is actually quite the accomplished thief (bounty hunter) with only one real drawback. Jan is quite an AWESOME thief, with Illusionist abilities added into the mix. Admittedly Nalia isn't that spectacular, but... I suppose any thief in a pinch. and Hexxat. by my count, that's 4, not including Imoen, not two.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Holy crap, what *is* this thread?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    meagloth said:

Holy crap, what *is* this thread?

Tis a thread that exists long after the OP's question has been answered. Honestly since the OP got his answer 6 months ago I think its fair to close it.