Skip to content

New SCS game - do I really need a mage?

Hi all,
I'm starting a new SCS game, and I'm planning to run from Candlekeep to the end of ToB.
Main's a (LN) cleric, and I EEKeepered Imoen into a bard (like her better this way).
I'm not fond of large parties: I just plan on adding a fighter and a thief (don't know whom yet, suggestions?). I'm afraid, however, I will NEED a mage to beat ToB, a bard not being enough firepower.
Am i correct?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It pretty much depends on your tolerance to dying and lot and reloading. If you don't like doing it you'll need a mage (in BG2 for sure). Even if you do have a mage or two you'll still be dying and reloading, the only difference is you might stand a chance against some of the SCS mages rather than having no chance at all.
  • SassaroliSassaroli Member Posts: 12
    Sux. I will reconsider my party foundation then.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    SCS almost definitely needs a mage or sorc, yeah. You're going to need the high level remove spellprotection spells.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    You could get by with a bard as well, they get a rather effective dispel/remove magic due to their fast leveling. Given that you won't have Imoen for a big part of the game though, you'll be rather crippled. Also a lot of SCS enemy mages will use SI:abjuration, so you'll need to memorize other protection breakers too.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I always say one mage is not enough.
    And for SCS you'll need at least one mage and a bard or sorcerer or mage/whatever.
    I always try to take as much Arcane caster as I can, my first BG2 party was composed by 3 Arcane casters/rogues (Jan, M?T PC, Haer'Dalis), 2 tanks (Keldorn and Mazzy) and a cleric/tank (Anomen). KILLER PARTY, never used a better party, never.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SassaroliSassaroli Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2014
    So, keeping party size small and enforcing/editing into single-classes (for a change): how about Charname (Cleric), Imoen (Bard), Safana (Thief), Ajantis (Paladin) in BG1; Aerie (Illusionist), Keldorn (Paladin), Nalia (Thief), then Imoen?
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I like the Bard Imoen. I don't think you need a pure mage that much. You can always use alternate tactics against mages - Traps, backstab, harm, poison, cloudkill spam, skeleton warriors, etc. It's often easier than breaking through their defenses with a mage. Having one won't hurt though.
    CrevsDaak
    nano said:

I like the Bard Imoen. I don't think you need a pure mage that much. You can always use alternate tactics against mages - Traps, backstab, harm, poison, cloudkill spam, skeleton warriors, etc. It's often easier than breaking through their defenses with a mage. Having TWO won't hurt though.

Fixed for better eficiency! @nano :D
    nano
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Take ALL the mages! But I hope you have a love interest because you will be doing a lot of sleeping ;)

Oh yeah, you kind of need two casters if you want to do the spellbreaking thing because one mage takes forever. With a single mage half the protections have expired and your warriors have gone to sleep by the time you can land a breach and make it stick.
    CrevsDaak
    And be sure to take at least one pure mage, it helps much more in BG2, I could only use lvl9 spells against Amelyssan.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    As a bard she has UAI access to level 9 spells and you can raid wk for spell striking and removal wands I guess. 4 man should be close to TOB cap by the end of SOA if you powergame...

That said, I wouldn't want to take on TOB SCS mages without timestop and IA to knock out their protections...

The alternative is to use a magic and fire immune viconia to kill mages...
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2014
    I have a parallel discussion on almost the same topic (is one enough?) under

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29271/evil-scs-party-arcane-caster-dilemma/p1

I think if you don't have at least 1, better 2 arcanes you will need an inquisitor and someone that can reach 100% MR (Viconia or monk). Even with an inquisitor you will face quite a few fights where you have to wait out the protection spells because of the spell immunity abjuration.

I finally have Ruby Ray and the last mage fight was decidedly easier.