Skip to content

What is going on?(spoilers)

After you escape the first dungeon in the game and arrive in Athkatla, Jaheira tells you to visit the Copper Coronet to get some answers. So that was the first thing I did after talking to Gaelan Bayle. The first quest I got was helping Nalia(The De' Arnise keep has been invaded quest), but after failing to defeat the Yuan-Ti mage on the second level in the keep over and over again, I decided to leave and come back later to finish it.

The second quest I got was Animal trouble in Trademeet, I've met with Cernd and I'm now in the forest(just entered some kind of Troll cave/nest in the left-bottom corner of the map)and it's very difficult as well...

Are these quests too difficult to pick up this early on or is it supposed to be this hard? I prepare for each battle, I cast Glitterdust, Monster summoning, Animal summoning, Chromatic Orb, Slow, etc. I pause very often to redirect the party and to focus on one enemy at the time, and I heal when necessary but my party still dies way too fast... I do have plenty of potions but I try not to use them.

I play on Normal difficulty at the moment and I don't want to lower it anymore. I really don't know what to do since it breaks the immersion quite badly by retreating.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2014
    For beginner players, those larger quests that require you to travel across the map can be a bit challenging. The standard fare is usually starting out a little closer to home to get some levels first: investigating the circus tent in Waukeen's promenade, and then checking out the goings-on in the back rooms of the Copper Coronet. After that, Nalia's keep is as good a place to go as any.
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    I see, thank you.
    When I remove characters from my party, is it possible to ruin the relationship between me and them so I can't ask them to join again?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    In BG2 you can almost always pick them up again, and they usually tell you where they'll go. If you've started a romance with someone though, dropping them from the party could end the romance.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Who is in ur party and what's causing u problems specifically? Help us to help you :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    One suggestion to use against that Yuan-Ti mage is to have Jaheira cast "Insect Plague" on it. She should probably have it by now (its a level 5 divine spell). Basically it will leave the mage helpless (because it gives 100% casting failure). Having weapons that do some kind of elemental damage (including having Nalia use Arrows of Fire) will also help to disrupt its spellcasting by bypassing the Stoneskin spell it puts up.

Also the AI is not always the brightest in the game, so its very possible to get the attention of just some of the enemies and deal with them one at a time (rather than all at once).
  • TedronaiTedronai Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, I would recommend:

1. Circus (Waukeen's Promenade)
    2. Slavers/Lilarcor (Copper Coronet)
    3. Xzar & Harpers (Docks)
    4. Sir Sarles (Temple)
    5. District Murders (Bridge)
    6. Thieves Guild (Docks) ** Main/Stronghold Quest **
    7. Fallen Paladins (Temple)

Basically complete the Athkatla quests before leaving the city.

De'Arnise Keep, however, should not be too difficult and is one of the easier main/stronghold quests. I think if you do the above quests you'll definitely gain the XP and items and gold (to buy any equipment) to be able to roll through De'Arnise and Trademeet.

EDIT: Also make sure you have a sensible party. Meaning have a fighter (by fighter I mean someone who is melee and can tank and dish out damage), cleric (healing), mage (spells), and thief (disarm traps, open chests). What is your class? If your current party is Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie, and Nalia, and you're someone tanky/melee, you should be good.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2014
    My suggestion:

Stick with Minsc and Jaheira for now, pick up Anomen at the Copper Coronet unless you play a priest. Keep Yoshimo unless you play a thief or you pick up Jan in the Government district.

Start with the circus tent
    Do Copper Coronet plus related slavers stockade. This will get you a great sword for Minsc as well.
    Back to the Promenade to kill the adventuring psrty on the second floor of the eastern inn. This will get you good starting equipment.
    Graveyard district for a bit of tomb robbing and easy side quests (be there during day and night, some quests have timers). Don't go down the stairs yet, just the one room tombs.

By now you will probably have been ambushed at least 2x and you should find a guy to take to docks.

Do the related quests plus the thief questline you get in the shadow thief HQ in the docks.

Buy some equipment (and wear the ring of human influence that sets your Charisma to 18) with your lead character to get lower prices. Girlde of hill giant strength is a good bargain at the Promenade.

Optional: bridge district murder quest plus the kidnappers quest you might have picked up at the graveyard.

Now do trademeet and related quests. You will get 2 great weapons for Jaheira that way, just be sure to investigate *all* the buildings in the swamp :)

After this you should be good to go and tackle almost everything, D'Arnise Keep or Umar Hills are good next destinations.
    Wow I didn't realised there were so many quests in Athkatla. I've just finished my first full saga playthrough, and missed quite a lot of the above due to playing blind and roleplay reasons. I suppose that explains why I was nowhere near the xp cap by the end of the game.

Anyways @Tedronai provides a very good list and very sound advice. I did 1) and 2), which are good beginner quests that shouldn't pose too much of a challenge. I also did 7) much later (can u access it right at the start of the game?), and it was pretty easy, and would give u some nice basic gear (armour) for a beginner party.

My problem with some of the others is...

3) refuse to cooperate with characters known to be evil from BG 1.
    4) seems a trivial task and too insignificant given the party's dire circumstances and urgency (to rescue Imoen).
    5) again, seems a trivial criminal investigation for law enforcement.
    6) refuse to deal with thieves as a lawful character, unless absolutely necessary...

In addition to the list, there's two taverns in Waukeen's Promenade. Check them out, there's a villainous party that can be taken down with a beginner party with a little preparation, and yields all the beginner gear you need if you are fresh outta the dungeon, naked and broke, since the group is conveniently a fairly balanced party, with warriors, rogue, a mage, cleric... etc

To have much success in BG 2, u need to start to learn the intricacies of the magic system. Here's 2 links I found very useful (which don't contain plot spoilers). Your BG 1 anti-mage strategies simply don't work anymore. Now every mage you run into will pop Mirror Images and Stoneskin, so Magic Missiles cannot reliably disrupt them, and pretty soon you'll be running into Contingencies, Spell Turning, Globe of Invulnerability, Mislead and worse...

Your formerly devastating AoE spells like Fireball and Cloudkill, and Disabling spells like Sleep and Web, will gradually become nearly useless, at least without some help from Lower Resistance, Greater Mallison, Doom etc...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/11334

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/13870

It's a lot of reading to do in one go, and it's only one (very experienced) player's opinions, but it does provide a very useful guideline, and also an insight on how or why a spell might be useful or not.

Give yourself a chance to digest it bit by bit. I learnt spells 1 level at a time, usually just up to the level of spells I can cast with my most proficient caster. If I pick up higher level scrolls, I just store them until I've read up on them later.

Slowly developing my own magic strategy and preferences is one of the things I've enjoyed the most about BG 2, and will help immensely to beating this game without cheating or cheese.

And don't worry, that Yuan-ti Mage got me the first time too. :D

Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

Who is in ur party and what's causing u problems specifically? Help us to help you :)

Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Anomen, Cernd and I play as a Sorcerer. I'm a bit confused how to play each character. Jaheira, for instance, can both be a healer and fighter/tank? Yoshimo, should he use arrows or a sword?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    One of the things BG2 is really good for is providing potions: don't reserve your healing potions, as you will find plenty more, and they are the only realistic way of healing party members in combat (only if the need is absolutely great would I use any other method, and even then only Heal and Mass Cure make sense).
    Yoshimo is best used with arrows, simply because his AC will be inferior to every other one of your party members (with the exception of your Sorcerer), and he only gets one melee attack per round which just isn't worth the damage he will take being in the front.
    Jaheira and Cernd will both benefit hugely from preparing Iron Skins and casting it ahead of combat. Chaotic Commands (available to Jaheira, Anomen and Cernd) will protect your party from the Chaos spell
    cast by the Yuan-ti Mage.
    By the sounds of things you have your Sorcerer right: glitterdust, chaos, mirror image and chain lightning are pretty much essential conveniences for many situations. Breach will sort out the stoneskin protection Yuan-ti Mages use, and isn't a bad choice for a Sorcerer considering your alternatives at Arcane Level 5 spells.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Yeah, my playthrough has me as a sorceress, Keldorn, Anomen, Jaheria and Jan just as a five person team, and Rasaad seems to have joined as the six person/ romance (as Anomen sort of scares the heck out of me...amazing npc though).

I sort of have my sorceress with a lot of nuke spells and debuffs like greater malison and stuff like breach and Jan with a lot of buffs/ cc spells like chaos, haste, invisibilities, resist fears etc. Jaheria and Anomen are tanks who dual weild and Keldorn now as the paladin phallus sword +5. Rasaad...seems to be there to get squished a lot.

As above with Heidrich, a lot of the longer duration buffs before charging in, short term buffs like DuHM in combat. Pausing a lot as needed, quick save before a battle.

Admittedly I just ran round and got into trouble in Akatla before doing anything else. So I think I had all npcs quests done before I ventured out, and a lot in the city are pretty easy quests.

With Cernd and Aerie...eh, I like Cernd but the thing is Jaheria is my favourite character, so not using her seems weird to me. I can't explain it, I just love how blunt and unpleasent she is, it amuses me. And I don't need two druids (granted I probably don't need Anomen and Jaheria, but I'm keeping them both. Aerie I adore (well as an npc... :p) but I still wouldn't take her in SoA as she levels too slow for my liking.
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated! "Prevention is better than cure!" - I'll remember that, and I'll also read through the spells list to get a better understanding how to use them now that I'm at least sligthly experienced with the game so it doesn't feel too overwhelming(I know you recommended the list before @Heindrich1988).
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Lower the difficulty! The game is supposed to entertain you and your enjoyment is being held back.

If you play it over and over like some of us, you will know every item location all ebemies etc. Then normal will be easy for you aswell. But always have FUN.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I feel your pain @LundmaN. I'm a pretty experienced player but today I decided to skip most of the city quests to pick up Mazzy before she spent her weapon proficiencies on shortswords (yuck). Normally 50% of my party will have +3 or better weapons before I step out the city gates. Not this time. My fighter/illusionist was using an unenchanted offhand.

I really struggled with the Skeleton Warriors in the Shadow Temple, eventually has to get Nalia and Aerie hitting them with their melee weapons as well as my frontliners to take them down, and burn through hundreds of Melf's Minute Meteors in order to take down tough, magic resistant foes.

Once you pick up a bunch of +3 weapons and gain a couple of levels life does get a lot easier.
    @Corvino Noone with Azureedge or did you skip even stockade/evil party? It's one of the best bargains in the game and even worth using without proficiencies, esp. against those pesky skellies.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I pretty much picked up Nalia, Keldorn and Aerie and made a beeline for the Umar Hills @Skaffen. I dealt with the party in the Temple Sewers and the circus tent, that was all. This is the first time I've not exhaustively done city quests followed by the De'Arnise Keep for years. Next time I'll stick to my usual routine, hehe.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    In the unmodded game, Keldorn is the ultimate mage killer. None of the enemy mages use Spell Immunity: Abjuration, so nothing can stop him dispelling all the protections from every enemy mage making them very easy to kill.

I'd definitely recommend picking him up in a good aligned party.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Corvino said:

I pretty much picked up Nalia, Keldorn and Aerie and made a beeline for the Umar Hills @Skaffen. I dealt with the party in the Temple Sewers and the circus tent, that was all. This is the first time I've not exhaustively done city quests followed by the De'Arnise Keep for years. Next time I'll stick to my usual routine, hehe.

I always found that group under the Temples to be really tough... I usually detour around them until I'm feeling particularly 'ard...
    There is a pretty easy if cheesy way to kill them: 3-4 stacked webs / entangles followed by all the cloudkills, ice storms, fireballs etc you can muster. If you scout properly you can wipe out the casters without even triggering their "enemy sighted" scripts.
    @abacus

Yeah I hate that group. The first time I played BG 2, lots of people recommended me to get Keldorn, in the Temple Sewers. Running into that lot and getting owned repeatedly was pretty demoralising, cos they don't like they are meant to be tough, and I abandoned that playthrough shortly after. Which is why I don't normally recommend beginners to pick up Keldorn, since Anomen is just as good in his own way, and not so dangerous to find!

@Skaffen

And that's the other difficulty with that group, amongst others. They are not hostile until sighted. Which means I cannot justify a pre-emptive attack. For all Charname knew, they might also be working for the Temple of Helm to track down the Unseeing Eye.
    They also cast True Sight if you're scouting...
    Cloak of non-detection and Detect Evil?
    Regrettably, it took until about my gazillionth run though to realise that particular cloak existed… And I NEVER EVER EVER EVER exaggerate!
    Of course you get the cloak if you ambush another party... I see a pattern here! ;)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Heindrich1988, I'm very impressed with the writing quality of the mini-guide in your longer post, above. If you enjoy writing advice like that, you should consider writing your own full guide for new players with your own spell guide.
    @BelgarathMTH

You flatter me my friend :) Thank you.

I just know the basics, and don't quite feel qualified to write a comprehensive guide when I don't quite know the maths behind some of theory-craft, and haven't tried some spells and NPCs yet.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

@abacus

Yeah I hate that group. The first time I played BG 2, lots of people recommended me to get Keldorn, in the Temple Sewers. Running into that lot and getting owned repeatedly was pretty demoralising, cos they don't like they are meant to be tough, and I abandoned that playthrough shortly after. Which is why I don't normally recommend beginners to pick up Keldorn, since Anomen is just as good in his own way, and not so dangerous to find!

How is Keldorn dangerous to find? Go around the long way, down to the bottom of the map and up the left hand side and you literally don't have to fight a thing! You can even avoid the kobolds in the middle of the map and, if you're careful, the Sea Troll in the far south west.

Lower the difficulty! The game is supposed to entertain you and your enjoyment is being held back.

If you play it over and over like some of us, you will know every item location all ebemies etc. Then normal will be easy for you aswell. But always have FUN.

I have to disagree. I don't need to lower the difficulty, I simply need to change strategy. In this case, level up more and get better gear before venturing outside of the city. In most cases, when you feel like a game is too hard, you're doing something wrong, not because of the level of difficulty.

I am having fun with the game, so I'm not frustrated at all by this, I just needed a little guidance :)

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    LundmaN said:

I have to disagree. I don't need to lower the difficulty, I simply need to change strategy. In this case, level up more and get better gear before venturing outside of the city. In most cases, when you feel like a game is too hard, you're doing something wrong, not because of the level of difficulty.

I am having fun with the game, so I'm not frustrated at all by this, I just needed a little guidance :)

Ok here's some quick advice then.

I'm assuming your playing the vanilla game and not using any difficulty enhancing mods.

For summons, pretty much these are the only ones you want to use:
    Mage Spells

Spider Spawn (only if your using web)
    Animate Dead (magic immune skeletons)
    Summon Planetar

The Nishruu/Hakeshar/Djinn etc summons are good but not for their spell level, and mage elemental summoning sucks. I would only summon a Djinn using the item you steal off of the Djinn outside the tent in trademeet (you can only get this before you complete the druid grove quest).

Druid Spells

Summon fire elemental
    Summon Fallen/Deva
    Greater Elemental Summoning

Fire Elementals can kill most of the early quests by themselves without any help at all.

Priest Spells

Animate Dead
    Summon Deva

All of the other summons are pretty much a waste of space only useful for being cannon fodder.

For mages, the easiest way to deal with them is either to equip Viconia to 100% magic resist, or to use Keldorn and just inquisitor dispell them and whack at them, or now for evil parties, poisoned arrows by Dorn before they get spell protections up.

You can also use insect plague by a druid on an ally next to the enemies and have it spread to the mage in case the mage goes invisible etc mid cast.

Cloudkill is your friend, use a thief or other invisible character to scout, then drop skull traps and cloudkills on the enemies from out of their visual range. You can do this by targetting just before them because spells cast at the max visual range usually.

Mass webs in vanilla holds anything in place, then you can just carve them up by putting on free action, or eventually Korgan and Mazzy get their saves low enough that they become immune unless they are debuffed.