Skip to content

Khalid is now a derogatory term. (JOKE) Love him or hate him?

Comments

• leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    Perhaps there should be a corollary to being a Khalid: pulling a Cernd. Pulling a Cernd is when you have a fairly nice looking portrait and voice and a cool sounding kit, and then turn out to be a deadbeat dad whose special ability is one of the most disappointing, broken, and glitched bits of wasted potential in the game. And THEN, when you finally get a mod that fixes it, you're too overpowered and regenerate 3HP per second and get Righteous Magic, and you steal all the glory from your teammates, so STILL nobody wants you.

Poor Cernd, if only we could get a proper shapeshifter fix (rather than the BG2Tweaks one that adds inexplicable bonus spells and stuff) maybe I could actually stand to put him in the party for more than the 5 seconds it takes for him to murder Faldorn...
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I am reminded of Dragon Ball Z Abridged, where the weaker fighters Yamtcha and Radditz are constantly picked on.

"Yamtcha? I do not know what this is but it sounds dissappointing."
    "Oh man, he totally got Yamtcha'd!"
    "I need a real man in my life!" "Don't you have Yamcha?" "Like I said, a real man!"
    "You see that guy, he's worth five Radditz and I'm worth fifteen Radditz!"
    "That monster reminded me of something soft and weak, like paper maché or Radditz."
    "Hah, we totally crushed that guy. He was like, the Radditz of their group."

It makes me laugh.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    jackjack said:

Or as others have called him, Anomnomnomen.

I feel like this is some inside joke I never get =/
    Ryofu said:

oh oh i got one. "Don't be a Khalid and get your panties in a bunch." :P

@Ryofu has a high wisdom score
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @queenofamsterdam, don't take me too seriously, I'm just kidding. Sorry if you took it personally, jokes can be hard to communicate over text. I'm not offended, I just have a thing for Khalid (not like *that*):P
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    @leeowensoas
    Like when Chelsea signed Torres for mega-money and he spent the next two years being a right Cernd.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    edited December 2013
    Khalid? Pretty awwesome warrior. Best swordsman in BG1. Takkok gloves + Varscona + 4 pipes in longsword and he owns everything in game. Who cares about his low morale if every cleric/paladin got Remove Fear.
    edited December 2013
    abacus said:

@leeowensoas
    Like when Chelsea signed Torres for mega-money and he spent the next two years being a right Cernd.

@abacus
    He wasn't so bad last season, though still not what he should have been. He is very quietly playing VERY well this season though.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

abacus said:

@leeowensoas

@abacus
    He wasn't so bad last season, though still not what he should have been. He is very quietly playing VERY well this season though.
    I know, I know... It was just an amusing/ provocative use of "pulling a Cernd".

Back on topic, I usually just send Khalid off to play with the Basilisks...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Khalid has always been one of my favorite NPCs. He just gets a lot of grief because he's force-paired with the most immediately available healer. I think he's one of the most endearing personalities in the game. He's a perfectly capable fighter. If one is having morale failures with him, chances are the player isn't very good at playing Baldur's Gate.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think he also gets a bad rap because, while his morale isn't actually worse than characters like Kagain and Eldoth, people use him a lot more so he got a reputation for running away, whereas Kagain never acquired one for going berserk.

I think he also gets a bad rap because, while his morale isn't actually worse than characters like Kagain and Eldoth, people use him a lot more so he got a reputation for running away, whereas Kagain never acquired one for going berserk.

I think this was a mechanics thing, where Khalid was meant to run away due to fear, whereas Kagain and Eldoth ran away because they simply don't give a @#%# about their party-mates.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Morale failure:berserk is the worst... not only is he getting himself killed instead of running away sensibly, he's also hitting my party.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    nano said:

Morale failure:berserk is the worst... not only is he getting himself killed instead of running away sensibly, he's also hitting my party.

Yeah I'd much rather the guy/girl next to me cut & run than cut into my spleen.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

C-3PO!!!

I'm shocked that none of you has mentioned that Khalid has C-3PO's voice, performed by Star Wars' C-3PO actor Anthony Daniels.

Wait... Wat?

*goes to listen to a clip from Star Wars*

o_o Oh my gods, how did I miss that?
  • MuppetLoversMuppetLovers Member Posts: 6
    I admit, I'm not sure I noticed it before I read the voice cast list, way back when. Also, oddly, IIRC the voice actresses for Jaheira & Viconia traded roles for BG2! How crazy is that! And you can't tell.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

C-3PO!!!

I'm shocked that none of you has mentioned that Khalid has C-3PO's voice, performed by Star Wars' C-3PO actor Anthony Daniels.

Umm...what? Khalid is voiced by Jim Meskimen
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2014

Another one who doesn't know how to use Khalid properly. Sad.

Give him STR items and put his proficiencies in Longbow and give him Composite Longbows.Rest can be whatever.
    Now you have a Fighter with great CON, enough DEX, four points in Longbow, can wear Full Plates and can switch from tank mode to ranged mode very easily.

Coran is better at archery but you want him in Shadow Armor most likely and he has crap for health.

Khalid should be played like Kivan. Though Khalid has better HP but worse STR. And he levels faster than both Kivan, Minsc and Coran.
  • Bhaals_PawnBhaals_Pawn Member Posts: 3
    elminster said:

C-3PO!!!

Umm...what? Khalid is voiced by Jim Meskimen
    Yes. Khalid is definitely voiced by Jim Meskimen (who also does Edwin) and not Anthony Daniels (who only does C-3PO).

The worst thing about Khalid is that he has decent enough stats for a tank, making him an obvious choice for the top of the party. There is nothing worse than clicking around the map listening to him doubt his own ability to do what you ask. I always end up picking up Minsc and throw him in the number one slot simply because he is immensely more entertaining.

"Sunny or not, its nice to enjoy the out of doors." vs. "Butt-kicking for goodness!"
    "If none are better." vs. "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!"

The choice is obvious.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited January 2014

Another one who doesn't know how to use Khalid properly. Sad.

I'd take Khalid over Minsc any day of the week.

During my current playthrough, Minsc's squishy ass was killed by a single kobold arrow in the Nashkel mines, despite being at full health and full plated. I was so furious that I didn't bother to resurrect him and replaced him with Xan (though only until I found Ajantis). What good is having high strength if you're too squishy AND hittable to last long at the front lines? And his dext is too mediocre to make him an efficient ranged fighter either (though admittedly, he's a much better char in BG2 thanks to his stats boost).

Khalid has better dext, notably better con, levels up quicker, and can master weapons.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    at least his quest actually leads you to the dex gauntlets. something tells me that was not a coincidence :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Though one could just as easily say Edwin's quest does the same thing.
  • uglyducklynnuglyducklynn Member Posts: 61
    I personally loved Khalid, on my first play through he was the rock we could all lean on when we needed. Had a pretty epic duel with Sarevok, too. I was pretty sad I couldn't take him into the second game.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

at least his quest actually leads you to the dex gauntlets.

Yes, they come in quite handy for Dynaheir. ;-)

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    It's @Viconia_DeVir time, I think.

The pressure is on, too, considering she has just given her 2 cents about Skie as well, and I just finished my BGEE playthrough in which I had Viconia, Skie & Khalid all in the same party. ;)
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    I have yet to decide, @recklessheart, whether your summons are simply to bid me perform as an amusing diversion... or perhaps they betray your deeper desire, hm? I am yours to command - yet if you yearn to hear tales of furtive glances and a husband stolen away sweating in my lascivious grasp, you'll find yourself disappointed. The stammering jaluk, while adept enough in the arts of combat, seemed only ever to have eyes for his beloved. When he would tremble through recountings of the neglect that typified his early life, such devotion to any half-presentable woman willing to cast a care in his direction didn't prove surprising.

At many a time I expected them to fracture, to falter; for the stronger to turn on the weaker as the natural order of things. For all my waiting in anticipation of the moment - and for all the hushed, whispering strings Shar seemed to weave between them, threadbare scraps begging to be severed - that moment never came by either of their hands. In spite of every startled exclamation he made when innocently surprised, in spite of every dull preference he expressed in favour of the strange, burning sun... he remained steadfast. Some might name it cowardice, name him a horse bridled by a demanding rider. I did so, at times - and received only a polite, diplomatic request to amend my ways in return. While none could name his tongue smooth, his manner was still that of a trader's son, despite his efforts to leave such things always a pace or two on the road behind him. Perhaps he sought a higher regard in his travelling companions; I believe he found it, and not only in his mate's eyes.

At first it was a strange curiosity to me, this strange equality and trust held between the two half-darthir in their union. Yes, he'd doubtlessly have endured harsh punishment in the Underdark for daring to presume himself above his station - but in fulfilling the duties of his station, he must have been competent enough. I will admit in time, my curiosity at such things curdled into a sour bitterness at the sight of him, though I could never show such weakness by expressing it. If such an arrangement as marriage could be proven to last with integrity on the surface, which other of my assumptions would prove treacherous to cling to? Even in my resentment, I welcomed such a painful gift. My survival on the surface could not be bought with skill-at-arms alone. Though the oft-oblivious armsman stammered and stumbled and remained unaware of them entirely, my silent battles with the jaluk could be considered akin to a different variety of the formal militia training he practiced. As a foe in this manner, Khalid was a worthy one, and our battles taught me much.