Skip to content

#7463 [iPad, CORE] getting insta-killed in circus tent

MurfMurf Member Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
hello all
whilst doing Aerie's joining quest, upon entering the level of the tent with the werewolves and shadow, the creatures immediately attack and my npc's, usually jaheira first are killed after 1 hit, from full health, i have not experienced this problem in any of the fights leading up to my current situation, i have tried resting, casting blessings, chants etc, but my character or 1 of my npcs are always insta-killed, its also worth mentioning that there is no successful attack roll from my enemies or damage done according to the fight text, it simply says minsc is dead, jaeheira is dead and so on, has anyone encountered this problem, i searched the forums but came up with nothing
thanks
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• MurfMurf Member Posts: 3
    i forgot to mention im paying on ipad
  • CapnSniffiesCapnSniffies Member Posts: 25
    Wow, don't recall ever having this problem.

I believe the way the werewolves are SUPPOSED to work is that they can only damage you if you believe in them/acknowledge their existence (ie attack them). I think the shadows are real, however.

An easy way to quickly get rid of the werewolves is to get them all together and cast dispel magic at them since they are technically illusions (haste should usually help you get away from them quickly). There is a conveniently placed dispel magic scroll in one of the jars in the room. As the shadows are actually real, I don't think this works on them.

Good luck!
  • dmford70dmford70 Member Posts: 1
    I was having the exact same issue last night, playing on iPad with all the DLC purchased (though none of the new characters in my party yet). I've played an awful lot of BG2 in the past, and though it'd been some time, if memory serves those illusory werewolves only do damage if you attack them, which I knew not to do. What's more, is that they did not seem to land blows or do damage; there was no animation or sound for a hit. The werewolves would just swipe at someone and they would instantly die. No damage was reported either. Just instant death. Ultimately I could hurriedly cast Dispel Magic and then run up the stairs, but it was frustrating.
    smithcl2014
  • sleepingagentsleepingagent Member Posts: 1
    Just confirming, same problem for me on iPad.

I was able to get past it by copying the game to my Mac, finishing the quest there, and copying it back. The illusionary creatures work correctly on the Mac version -- no damage unless you attack them.
    smithcl2014
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    It's a known issue of the iPad version (confirmed by @CrevsDaak )
    CrevsDaak
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Hmm I think those illusionary werewolves are given a bugged weapon that insta-kills. Find that weapon file from a working mac or pc version and drop the file into portraits folder on Ipad via Ifunbox. That should solve the problem. (the weapon file is named ILLUSION, I think, since that's what those werewolves are equipped with when I look them up via SK)
    I just did the quest.
    They vorpal you, but using some evocation as baits and some buffing i could easily complete the quest.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    OK, I'll make a thread regarding iPad issues I already reported, since this issue was already known, this will only create chaos and confusion.
  • MurfMurf Member Posts: 3
    i managed to clear the level , i intially tried to send aerie in under sanctuary with a dispel in mind, but unfortunately i had to move the entire party, so i just lead the pack away from my spellcasters with minsc while they cast dispel and "pop" problem solved, thanks for all the advice
  • gillodgillod Member Posts: 2
    Same issue here- Played BG2 quite a few times before, first time I've seen this happen. Stinks because you can't leave the circus, meaning I'm stuck in an instadeath loop. Gonna try some of the strategies suggested here, but I cant believe they didn't catch it in QA.
  • spajdrspajdr Member Posts: 20
    lunar said:

Hmm I think those illusionary werewolves are given a bugged weapon that insta-kills. Find that weapon file from a working mac or pc version and drop the file into portraits folder on Ipad via Ifunbox. That should solve the problem. (the weapon file is named ILLUSION, I think, since that's what those werewolves are equipped with when I look them up via SK)

Does someone tried it? I don't have PC or MAC version, can someone share the file? In case if this method works.
    Thank you.
  • raposo777raposo777 Member Posts: 1
    Is there going to be a patch or are we expected to try to bypass the problem?
    The same "kill in one stroke" exists in the upper lvl.... So even with dispel magic i am going nowhere.
    Please see what you can do Beamdog as i have been waiting for this game for ages!
  • gillodgillod Member Posts: 2
    Its crazy that they didn;t catch this before release- People on the TA forums are having the same issues. Its widespread.
  • ArinochArinoch Member Posts: 15
    I got lucky - two quick dispels from Keldorn kept me alive. Took some loading/ saving though! Also lucky that I didn't do the quest until a while later...still chapter 2, but yeah. How one of the first obvious quests made it through testing like this, I've no idea.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @CrevsDaak: What really needs to happen is any iPad bugs being reported on the iPad forum (even if they are iPad only) need to get reported here with duplication steps and saved games, so we can get bug reports set up for them.

I know I saw this over in the iPad forum already, but we'll use this as the official thread for it since it's already in the right place.
    @Illydth OK, no worries, I'll start posting all the bugs I found in these days, and I really want to help to make the game better.
    @CrevsDaak: You're doing an awesome job. There are many threads you've jumped into and helped out tremendously. As one of the more well known iPad beta testers, please direct any bug reports you're seeing on the ipad version up to these forums. When I was lurking the iPad forum a while back, I started a bad habit of having iPad bugs posted there...posting the back up here is going to help make sure they're seen and flagged.
    @Illydth I'll tag you if I see any, and I think I'll have much time as my father is gone so I'll have limitless forum time to do something (yeah, I'm a young kid)! And play buggy ultra-modded (I never saw a so heavy edited install, and the mods are all in the wrong order, bug fixes after SCS and then TobEx :P I think it is my 4th install, I'm the "experiment and learn" type of guy) vanilla with a K/C/A (multi kit mod!).
    edited January 2014
    From the iPad Forum:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29324/werewolves-keep-killing-me-in-circus-tent-have-ai-off-please-help

Feel free to refer to that thread but consolidate discussion here.
  • mrmtmrmt Member Posts: 10
    Making people invisible was the answer for me, in the end. I was then able to dispel at leisure.
    edited January 2014
    @Gate70
    This is a save right after answering the genie question.

I checked, even the werewolf outside perimeter has this instant-kill ability.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    Having this same problem on iPad. The werewolf illusions don't do any damage, my guys just die. The only way I've had success across 2 play-throughs so far is by either hoping that I could get off a Dispel Magic before any of my guys got vorpal'd, or more recently by casting haste and having the majority of my party kite the wolves around in circles near the couches while one party member fires a Dispel into the centre of the room.

Pretty frustrating bug though.
    Gate70 said:

CAVEAT (or paranoia)
    This is the PC version of that weapon file, zipped. I don't recommend using it unless you are prepared to wipe & re-install the game should it go wrong or know how to mod on an iPad (i.e. I have no idea how anything works on it).

It should be easy. Now there's an OVERRIDE folder even in the un-jailbreaked iPad, so I could simple place the file in the folder and see what happens... and if something goes wrong, I could simple delete the file, right?
    I have never modded anything in an iPad, so I'm not sure, and the Khalid Syndrome is possessing me.
    Maybe this week-end I'll pass the saving throw and I'll try this.
    edited January 2014
    @Gate70 I'll take a look to see what is causing this, I tend to mod the iPad version a lot so it won't be much trouble. image
    Definitely STRANGE, nothing is causing that, it is just happening.... That's the iPad file, I think that the 0d0 damage is causing with, or maybe some empty field, I'll try to compare later.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    Pibaro
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Look at the effects too.
    @Avenger_teambg it has 0 effects :P.
    @Gate70 it did not had much more than nothing at all, but I will.

*facepalm* already deleted, I'll do it anyway (I'll have to extract it and that stuff >.<) *sigh* what an idiot I am...
    @Gate70 sorry for the delay, I also grabbed the ILLUWERE.CRE and the BCS it has, besides ILLUSION.ITM, they are on a Zip.
    @Gate70 THAT is strange (well, this thread is about the most bizarre bug ever), by searching references to the ILLUSION.ITM file I only get the Illusionary Cambion (yep, if you go with a higher level party, they'll spawn) and the ILLUWERE.CRE, we've found a hair in a hairy egg, and KWEREWL.CRE also uses ILUUSION.ITM... this bug is ODD.
    edited January 2014
    All these creatures are using ILLUSION.ITM (I had to split the comment because I'm using two computers, I know, I'm mad).
    (do you see the image's lines tilted to the right or it is a trick of my dyslexia(well, sort of, I only misspell long unknown words)?)