Skip to content

How to import an original BG2 character to BG:EE iPad version

coloroocoloroo Member Posts: 3
After doing some playing around with BGEE on iPad and iFunbox, I was able to get the a character from the original Baldur's Gate 2 working on Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I wasn't even sure it would work. I wanted to let others know how to do it.

First, it sould be noted that when you import a character from Baldur's Gate 2 at the beginning of a new game in BGEE, he/she will start over again at level 1. The only thing that carries forward are the character stats, class, race, base AC, abilities, etc. Some armor and weapons 'may' transfer. I've done it twice and once the character had items and one didn't.

For the iPad version you'll need to download the program iFunbox. Also you'll need a character. You can export your own character from a game save. I found some good characters available for download at http://www.paul-meredith.co.uk but you can probably get them at other places.

Now, use iFunbox to copy the .chr file to the "characters" folder in iPad. [ Baldur's Gate ] / Library / Characters. If you have a .bio file you can copy that over too. On PC you won't need the iFunbox step... Just copy it over.

Now in BGEE you can start a new game and import the character you just transferred. You can still adjust some of the characteristics of the character as you like.

Update: I figured out how to get old profile pictures to work. By default there's no [ Baldur's Gate ] / Library / portraits folder in iPad, but you can make the directory and than add your character pictures there. Then restart the app, load the game, and edit your character picture once in the game.

The sounds directory appears to be read-only on the iPad so I can't add any custom voices. (Baldur's Gate App / lang / En_us / sounds). If anyone else figures out how to unlock this directory, please let me know. I presume it's possible to do on the PC version.

Post edited by coloroo on

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Um… okay, but why?
    :/
    Heindrich
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    The starting BG 2 party is the BG 1 endgame party. Why would u ever want to import in the reverse order??
  • coloroocoloroo Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    Lots of reasons. At the start of BGEE you only have the option to choose from 3 stock characters, or make your own from scratch. So, instead you can download and try out lots of other peoples BG2 custom characters that they've already made/edited. In one game I imported Drizzt Do'Urden to play as my main, and he's got pretty impressive stats, abilities, and armor class right off the bat. Why would you NOT want to?
    Because the game is designed for u to begin as a level 1 character with 0 xp and BG 1 encounters do not scale with ur character level. To make matters worse, ur companions do scale with Charname level. So if u leave Candlekeep with a lv8 (or higher) Charname, every NPC u recruit will be overpowered too. Basically you destroy the game's difficulty curve and make it senselessly easy.

Yes it might be fun for a little bit stomping around like a boss. And slaughtering Sarevok and his crew with Drizzt a few times might be satisfying, but BG is not a Action RPG with fancy graphics to reward u for slaughtering mobs like boss... So I REALLY don't see the appeal, you'll get bored in no time. If a beginner does this, he never gets to actually learn the game mechanics, and walk away with an extremely distorted experience of Baldur's Gate.

That said, it is a single player game. Of course you should play it however you enjoy. I am just stating my personal opinion on why I wouldn't recommend it.
  • coloroocoloroo Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    When you import a high level character at the beginning of a new game, he/she will start over again at level 1. The only thing that carries forward are the character stats, class, race, AC, abilities, etc. I'll try and post a screenshot later. I guess once the game has started, you may be able to import a high level character (non-main) without it resetting to level 1, but I'm not sure cause I haven't tried it as that wasn't my intention. But yes if you import a character that has higher stats than the normal default character gets, you will have an advantage. Unfair advantage? I'm not sure. The game still seems plenty hard to me.
    Heindrich
    @coloroo

Ah I see... okay. I thought u were importing high level characters into BG 1.

No in that case, what you're doing is absolutely fine. Difficulty is pretty arbitary anyway. U can use a min/max'd character and powergame/cheese ur way through Insane SCS, or u can play on Core Difficulty with lots of restrictions on resting, cheese and roleplay etc...

As I said, it's a singleplayer game, and it's great that there's so many ways to enjoy it, so everyone should be free to enjoy it however they like. :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Just to clarify--there are a lot more than three pregenerated characters. Scroll down with the buttons on the right side of the screen to view the others.
    Heindrichjackjack