Skip to content

Dak'kon's Zerth Blade

I have been careful not to un-equip this sword, but I keep losing the extra spells during area transitions - the extra spell slots are just blank. This happened at the end of the planar prison quest and again after the encounter with Neera when she asks you to look for her in the forest.

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    It's a bug with offhands sometimes but really just use belm or kundane instead until you get crom Freyr, they're superior to low level spells due to the 20% or more melee damage increase over dzb.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    it's funny this item in fact. Dak'kon zerth blade were supposed to be an serious powerful artifact from the multiverse, so much that the nameless one recruited Dak'kon almost solely because of the blade (that has unlimited power based on the belief).

In BG2 it's an ignored item, an weak and second choice blade to use in fact.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    That's because our belief is weak! Don't blame it on weapon! :)

Of course a mod where you could unlock the circles of zerthinon woukd be nice, then I would actually buy the thing...
    jackjackbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Yeah it takes some planning ahead (using last spell-slot for 'first cast' spells or anything you have multiples of), as you will lose them if the character goes out of control (charm, confusion, etc). But I still found it useful to boost my Blade's casting until I got the Gloves of Wonderful Bardiness or whatever they're called.

Although I never had/noticed an issue with area transitions...
    booinyoureyes
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    In Planescape Torment, the Zerth Blade does indeed become a very powerful blade.
    It basically does the following :
    5-20 damage
    +3 THACO
    +6 AC
    Double 1st level spells
    Double 2nd level spells

Very, very worthy of Baldur's Gate II, to be honest :)
    Too bad, the version we get sucks :D
    kamuizinjackjackbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    Hmmmm mod ideas comming to my mind!!
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I would want the warrior version of that on my fighter/illusionist :)
    I believe that some event sequences should release the blade's true power.

First of all, the blade patch should be defined by main char, if it's an mage, the blade evolves with the mage skills, if he is an fighter the blade evolve with fighter skills and therefore on. Even if the Main Char is an priest, the blade can evolve with an line defined by that priest class and would be used by another party member.

Some events fixed in the main quests (including find the blade instead of buy it) would make sure we didn't lose any event that upgrade the blade.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Yeah, probably best to just tie it in with the main character, that would be the simplest way. But i disagree that it should be tied in with main quest events. That would add clutter to the main quest.
    The Equalizer is already kinda wowen into the main quest, you can't miss it's parts.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    @bob_veng Yeah, you can't miss it but you probably should :) The parts take unnecessary space in inventory and when you finish it you realize that you threw away 7.5k for a sword that's worse than those you already have.
    i agree, equalizer sucks, but that doesn't have anything to do with dak'kon's zerth blade :D

however a very far-reaching mod could be made that replaces the equalizer with dak'kon's blade, for example:

1) instead of finding the pommel jewel, in irenicus' dungeon you find the basic, useless, unshaped dak'kon's blade
    2) sometime in chapter 2 you are able to unlock the sword to tier 1 (maybe after meeting the gith in the planar prison - instead of fightning you, they could tell you a thing or two about shaping karach :D)
    3) instead of finding the equalizer blade and hilt in the underdark, the gith you meet there enable you to unlock the sword to tier 2
    4) in chapter six, if you return the silver sword blade to the gith (Kruin), as a reward he teaches you how to further unlock the zerth blade, to tier 3

tier 4 & 5 are for ToB

And the crappy equalizer will just lie somewhere, already assembled. The planar sphere feels like a good place for it.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The problem with being taught by the Gith currently ingame is that they are Githyanki, not Githzerai. If anything they would probably try to kill the wielder of a Zerth blade rather than teach them.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
    edited January 2014
    but githyanki have the same knowledge of shaping karach as far as i know. no?

edit: after googling a bit - you're right. githyanki and zerth blades just don't go hand in hand.

are there no githzerai in the game? (prolly not, can't remember any)

edit2:
    @Corvino okay i have a solution:

- you can unlock the blade after meeting the group of gith in the planar prison *who will be made githzerai* in this mod
    - after that, you don't have to meet anybody to upgrade it further, you just need WIS and xp
    - you upgrade the blade via dialogue interaction (same as lilarcor)