Skip to content

Fighter or Barbarian

SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
Which is better: Fighter (any kit but Kensai) or Barbarian?

I've found the Fighter is favoured by online communities. In the long run, I think Barbarians are better.

My thoughts:

I love Barbarians because their high HPs make them tanks against anything - melee damage or spells. They also have physical resistances which effectively magnify their HP totals. With a high Con stat, Barbarian rage + any Con buff spell (like Draw Upon Holy Might), they can actually regenerate in battle. Barbarian Rage is also better for damage than Berserker Rage. If your starting Str is 19, Barbarian Rage grants a dmg bonus (+11) that far exceeds that of the additional weapon specialiciazation + berserker rage (a total of +3). The movement is useful for kiting and soloing, and the resistance to backstab also helps.

Low armour is only really a penalty at low levels when AC is most important. Later I've found anything hits you, so I'd rather have the HP.
  1. Fighter or Barbarian171 votes
    1. Fighter
      60.82%
    2. Barbarian
      39.18%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2012
    I'm going with the fighter because they can get better armour. That said both classes have their uses.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm voting fighter because I like being a civilised, well-turned out chap in nice shiny armour; not some uncooth, hairy-arsed brute who feels the need to yell Raaargh!!! before he goes into every battle.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I like both a lot, but I voted for Barbarian to help give that class a fighting chance. It's an underrated class.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I voted Fighter because you can duel and multi class a fighter, while you cannot with a Barbarian. That and I think fighters can get more proficiency points? I can't remember whether or not that's true. Plus I like a lot of the fighter only equipment that a barbarian cannot use. You brought up some excellent points about the barbarian, but I think I still have to go with a fighter.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Technically the barbarian is a fighter kit as far as the game is concerned...
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    I'd pick a barbarian over a pure (i.e. single class) fighter. Considering dual and multi class options fighter would be better imho.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Considering weapon proficiencies with the default game in BG2, Barbarian would be the way to go. Grandmastery ain't SHEEET.

As far as armor goes, Barbarians can handle it with the extra HP. Extra HP makes them more resistant to magic, whereas the extra AC from some heavier armors would not.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    fighter because of dual classing options
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    Barbarian for BEAST MODE!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Gameplay-wise I would pick Barbarian, since this class is more interesting to play.
    Sentimental-wise I would pick Fighter, due to discipline in honing his skills.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Fighter as it get some great kits.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Barbarian for me.

''And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers''
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    I think I will play Barbarian on my 1st BG:EE play through.

I used to be really love fighter since they can get full plate.Losing a few AC is Ok with amount of the extra HP and immune stuff you get from the rage.The HP really adds up once you get to higher levels.
    I do like all the fighter kits , I kinda wish Barbarian had some kits , even tho Barbarian is really just a kit of fighter.

RP wise I personally prefer Barbarian too.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Different warrior classes are made for different purposes:
    Fighter - the well rounded warrior.
    Paladin - Better at defense than offense.
    Ranger - Better at offense than defense.
    Barbarian - Better at offense than the Fighter, but not the Ranger, better at defense than the Ranger, but not the Fighter.

It all depends on what exactly you want your character to do, and how you want to roleplay. If I had to pick whether I get a fighter or a barbarian for my party, I would most likely prefer the fighter.
    @Doom972

How do you figure the Ranger beats Barbarian in offensive might?
    Hell, how do you figure the Ranger beats the Fighter at offense?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Fighter, because they can dual/multi class, and I don't want to be a hick barbarian.
    Awong124 said:

Fighter, because they can dual/multi class, and I don't want to be a hick barbarian.

Your dismal, ignorant choice of words aside, Barbarians aren't necessarily all Uthgardt tribesmen. For some being a Barbarian is just a fighting style rather than a way of life. It says so right in the class description.

• Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yeah, we need a barbarian kit that can dual missile weapon as axes, daggers, darts (and a new 1hand spear?). Call it 'The Savage'. ^^
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Both the berserker and the barbarian have their advantages: the berserker can achieve grandmastery, and wear surperior armor, whereas the barbarian has innate damage resistances, no post rage drawbacks, and an increased movement rate.

At the low levels, when AC is vital to survival, the berserker easily trumps the barbarian (better armor, AC bonus while enraged). By the beginning of ToB however, the barbarian comes into its own: the net gain of 18hp, the significant reduction in physical damage, and the lack of post-rage drawbacks all make him a better warrior than the berserker.

Granted, the difference is insignificant (as the berserker still gets +1 to hit and +2 damage from Grand Mastery), but the barbarian is ultimately the more powerful choice.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    @Sceptenar: If barbarian were actually a fighter kit, it would be able to dual class. And that seems a big issue for some. A lot of people prefer fighter because it can dual class.

@Doom972: Interesting way of looking at it. I find rangers are more versatile fighters because they get to dual wield for free, allowing them to branch out. But both paladins and fighters can get this too. A fighter does more damage than paladins and rangers when he achieves the (albeit mediocre) grand-mastery, so I'd argue he's better at offense than all of them, at least when it comes to weapons that are not bows or Holy Avengers...that are not backstabbing something...lol.
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    Fighter because i always play as a fighter and i like this class, but i haven`t any bad word about barbarian. Barbarian is to offensiv and he look any battle to show how strong he is, he only follow a rage path. Fighter is more tactical, he can wear any armor and take any weapon, we can mix fighter with any class to make more options in battle. Well i really want see pvp barbarian vs pure fighter :).
    Xar105 said:

Fighter because i always play as a fighter and i like this class, but i haven`t any bad word about barbarian. Barbarian is to offensiv and he look any battle to show how strong he is, he only follow a rage path. Fighter is more tactical, he can wear any armor and take any weapon, we can mix fighter with any class to make more options in battle. Well i really want see pvp barbarian vs pure fighter :).

Barbarians can also use any weapon.
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    True warrior classes become pointless after the 20. level (THAC0 0 is reached).

Thus, for BG2/TOB I'd not choose any barbarians/paladins/rangers but fighter. Fighter is great dual base in that case.

For BG1 barbarian will do as an alternative to paladin or ranger.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to do some PvP simulations, I think. Depending on the level, I think the Barbarian may have an advantage - particularly when we're at the point where most attacks hit. However, PvP is kind of a bubble reality and doesn't reflect the whole game. At low levels, that Berserker AC is a tremendous advantage. Plus tanks look cooler.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    @Silence
    If you fiddle with the game a bit you can actually dual class a barbarian. From a purely technical standpoint, the barbarian IS a fighter kit in the game engine, but is treated as a separate class in the class selection screen with dual classing disabled. But I've been able to dual class it into a mage and a thief with little trouble. You just need to know the ins and outs of the infinity engine.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I personally prefer berzerker since the immunities are more comprehensive (and specifically include immunity to imprisonment), you get potential for full proficiencies and the armor. The extra hit points don't amount to much, but I do love a barbarian with boots of speed. That is insane speed.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Barbarian, Because i look like one. Cheers!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    edited August 2012
    @Doom972

My theory on the classes was always this

Fighter - Well Rounded. His sole focus (outside his personalty) is improvement of himself and how he and his weapon interact with each other, trying to become one.

Paladin - A slightly more defense option (usually) than a fighter, but his offensive power when fighting creatures of evil (ignoring the standard paladin in BG since they weren't given smite evil) is greatly increased. Does a much better job versus evil and undead than a fighter (usually).

Ranger - A consummate scout, tracker and woodsman. I feel he has a more tactical approach to general combat than a fighter due to this. Also tends more to focus more offensively in either ranged or tactical stealth based combat (see archer or stalker). He is definitely at his best though when faced with hordes (or high difficulty versions) of his favored enemy. Beware if you're a dragon, vampire, mindflayer, etc and this guys favored enemy.

Barbarian - Hulk. Smash! But in general I view barbarians as the most brute forced approach to combat. Find something, rage and hope enough of them are dead by the time rage is over that you're still alive. There is no asking your god for powers (but you might yell out to tempus), there's no stealthing around summing up your opposition, there's no (this is my longsword, there are many like it but this longsword is mine). There is pure unbridled fury, throwing yourself into combat just for the sheer joy of being in combat.

Blackguard - This is the paladins mirror. Gone is hope, replaced is fear in your enemies eyes as you walk close. You don't just want to kill someone, you want to kill them and make anyone behind them piss themselves. Then you want to kill those behind him too. It wouldn't be surprising if you left one person alive at the end of a battle, not out of mercy, but purely to make sure that the next group you face is already in fear of your reputation before you get there.

Honorable Mentions:
    Monk - You don't wear armor but that's fine. You wear the famous yellow parachute pants of MC Hammer (+20). Unlike the Barbarian you don't necessarily throw yourself into combat. But when you do engage in combat you run around like a 90s beat box going "Neh neh neh neh, neh neh, neh neh, CANT TOUCH THIS" and proceed to counter them with your fists and feet. You do think about combat, thinking about dodge, parry, block. But more than anything you get a little giggle inside everytime you go "nah nah you missed me"

Blade - Nothing yet

Swashbuckler - Nothing Yet
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Never liked fighters. They are so... so utterly boring! True... sometimes, heavy armour *can* be nice. And having the advanced weapon specialization trait ain't bad either, but other than that? Nothing but boring discipline.

*I* don't care about discipline, militaristic training or traditions when battle calls. All I need is my bloody axe, some dear ol' enemies and my devastating fury! True to the motto of an nameless and legendary warrior: "Me will crush you! Crush you to GOO!"
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    The barbarian feels too gimmicky. Rage is 5 rounds of ownage, and you trade plate for damage resistance. Way too strange for me. I'd rather have advanced weapon mastery and full plate any day. I also like dual and multiclass options, as my name would suggest.