Skip to content

The Tamoko/Sarevok plot?

KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Hello! After having spent two nights browsing through the forum I finally decided to become a member. It feels incredible to be able to discuss your favorite game series knowing that things are being done to improve it as we're typing!

Having played through Baldur's Gate several times, I never really understood why Tamoko plays such a small part in the original game. It feels strange knowing that she only has two(?) dialogues with CHARNAME, and still manages to get mentioned in Sarevok's epilogue two games later. Did the developers run out of time? I think there's huge potential in exploring the relationship between our favourite villain and his little love interest. I can't remember if there have been mods trying to address the issue. What do you guys think?

Comments

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited August 2012
    The "Tortured Souls" mod I think adds some content about her (in BG2), making her a relative of Yoshimo. Also, since that mod allows to redeem Yoshimo and avoid his death, it adds new banter between Yoshimo and Sarevok about her in ToB. Needs confirmation about all this from someone who has played that mod fully.

Another mod extends Sarevok's diary/journal and she gets mentionned in there.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wouldn't mind seeing her role expanded, but I'm reluctant to see her be revealed as related to Yoshimo. I think she can be expanded without forcing that connection between the two of them.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Actually there's three conversations with her. Her initial conversation with you in the city gate district, her second conversation with you when she tells you about the diary, and her third conversation with you beneath Baldur's Gate where you have the chance to spare her life. (Although she's still dead in Sarevok's Epilogue ;_;) I think she still got an honorable mention in his epilogue because she was more of less the only person who love Sarevok for who he was. She wanted to save him from himself, and yet she still died despite her efforts. It's something I've always found really quite tragic.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I can see how she dies even if you spare her...

Tamoko : "Ahh, sunlight at long last. Although I wonder if they know I was a cohort of Sarev--"
    FF Merc : "Aaah surf da flammin' fist!!! I AM DAH LAWWW!!!!"

Seeing how they killed off Fentick (sp?) in NWN, I wouldn't wonder they had the same surprise ready for Tamoko -_-

Admittedly, knowing her more would be awesome really. Maybe some notes left behind, a journal...
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing her role expanded, but I'm reluctant to see her be revealed as related to Yoshimo. I think she can be expanded without forcing that connection between the two of them.
    I agree, BG is not a soap opera in which everyone knows and have relationship with everyone. :)
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    ... Ouch man... that's just... sooo ouch.

Although I still felt Fenthick was a completed idiot who deserved what happened to him >_> I mean especially if you go and talk to him before fighting Dester, he was half in denial STILL wanting to protect the son of a bishie, but I digress.

In the case of Tamoko, it didn't really seem like her involvement was quite well known enough that she'd be instantly picked up by the flaming fist, but the explanation is pretty good. (Especially your dialogue XD Oh man you kill me every time!) I still find it sad that she does die though.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Djimmy : thanks, now I can't remove this mental image from my head!

*party enters third floor of the Mae'var's guild compound only to meet an old acquaintance of theirs*
    Jaheira : *threatened* "Edwin!"
    Vicona : *hopelessly* "Edwin..."
    Mazzy : *with a mischievous grim* "Edwin."
    Aerie : *surprised* "EDWIN!"
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    edited August 2012
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I could have sworn that the original revs of bg2 had originally meant for tamoko to be yoshimo's sister. Granted I think it's name dropping (and perhaps so did they) so I don't mind on that part too much, but tamoko herself, I think was the most tormented npc in the game.

I would love her story expanded on (perhaps make her a bit of a double agent early on) but that might be against contractual agreements. For argument's sake, however, I think it is better that she survives and comes back in bg2 for some type of twisted vengeance, or you have no choice but to kill her. That did seem like a bit if a plot issue, even if it was small.

Now that I think about it, maybe she kills herself because her lover is gone.