Skip to content

What edition should bg 3 be and, in detail, how would YOU like to see it play in that edition?

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
Ok I'll just start off by saying that alot of fans, including me (especially me!), have very high expectations of bg 3 if it ever comes out. I would very much prefer that bg 3 plays like bg and bg2 but with 3rd edition rules. My opinion on the other 2 editions is...well...lets just say I have some likes and dislikes. 2nd edition is a dead ruleset and frankly no longer has no place in present society. 4th edition is good and bad in some ways. It just feels too easy to learn and your choices are very limited at best. I do however like the unique abilities you get as you level up your character in 4th edition but you don't have much "character customization" as you did in 3rd edition. For example, say I'm playing a sorceror in 3rd edition and when I level up I have all these really cool lists of spells to choose from whereas 4th edition I can only choose from like 3-4 new spells every level and can only have like 6 spells ready I believe. Also these spells from what I understand are limited to damage dealing and field advantage. Also I dislike having the option to play as other planar races or planar races integrating themselves within present society. Imo I preffer the standard races: elves, humans, halflings with their subraces included. And it also justlacks variety in what you really want your character to grow out to be.

3rd edition gives you much in the way of variety and you can pretty much be just about any character you can imagine and it makes playing your character fun and powerful! The features that you gain with each level of your class make you feel like "Omg! I got this really cool and unique feature to my character". It is imo still the most popular and vastly superior edition of all the editions just because its fun whereas 4th edition is just a dumbed down version to help newbie players understand the game easier.

These are just my opinions anyway. I'd like to hear some other opinions out there and if you have a moment to share please do so. :)
  1. What edition should bg 3 be and, in detail, how would YOU like to see it play in that edition?150 votes
    1. 2nd edition
      53.33%
    2. 3rd edition
      38.00%
    3. 4th edition
        8.67%
Post edited by xLegionx on
Lirik

Comments

• AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    BG 3 will be whatever Edition is out when the game starts production so either 4e or 5e, it's presently impossible for it to be 3rd or 2nd.
    GrandeCMoomintrollThe_New_Romance
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    It could only 2nd ed otherwise it wouldn't be the same.
    AndreaColomboMordecai
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    2nd ed, 2nd postage. EPIC AS!
    AndreaColomboMordecai
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    3.5 is the best D&D Edition ever. Only 3.5 can improve the gameplay in the nex gen BG
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    4th, yo. 4E needs a video game. It's the only ruleset that hasn't had one, if I recall correctly. It's perfect for a tactical combat game along the lines of Temple of Elemental Evil or the Warhammer 40K tactical RPG.
    mercyfulfate1988
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    What edition did NWN2 use?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Excalibur_2102 : 3.5 to my knowledge.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    By voting for 3rd edition, I meant 3.5. Quite frankly... I hate 4th edition... I think it was a bad design and kind of ruined dungeons and dragons for me. This opinion of mine is probably not popular, but I really just can't help it. Many of the things they implemented just make no sense to me. Personally, I'd like to see it in 3.5 because that's what I'm most used to these days, and because I feel AD&D is a little too outdated. I'm still okay with pretty much any version they want to go with... so long as it's not 4th -_-
    actionjezus6Corgano
  • OlorinOlorin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 142
    I voted 3rd, meaning 3.5: that's possibly the best edition of D&D so far. But I'll enjoy it even if it sticks to be 2nd. 4th is great, if you're looking for MMORPG material. It could made do for any other Single Player game, but not for the BG series.

BG3, if it ever comes out, needs to maintain the "feeling" of 1&2. That sensation of actual challenge, starting from character creation, where you knew every class was actually different from the others and you had to pause and think where to allocate that lone 18 dice roll to some of you "must-have" characteristics, in order to take advantage of the bonuses and contingencies that spawned from that tiny choice.

Of course, BG series needs to move forward in terms of accessibility, allowing even non-hardcore pen&paper players to enjoy its beautiful story. However, I'd like to see it stick to its roots and keep an eye on old-school RPG, as opposed to the ongoing "cool action-top notch graphics" drift that's affecting every modern RPG.
    Corgano
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    OP you should add ed. Next (5e) to the poll options, as we've been advised by Philip Daigle to expect that the game will use whichever ruleset is current at WotC at the time of BG3's release. "Next" is currently being openly playtested.

BG2:EE will be released next year. I don't think there would be a BG3 until 2014 at the very earliest. My guess would be 2015 or later if they build the new game from the ground up. By then 4e will almost certainly no longer be the current ruleset on the store shelfs.

I voted 2e because this is my fantasy for BG3:

1) BG3 gets made using the BG/BG2:EE Engine. (And as such it uses the same 2nd ed. AD&D ruleset with kits.) The engine is then already designed and perfected, so that obviously saves time and money.

2) WotC makes a bold decision to exploit its nostalgia/retro market by commemoratively re-releasing the 2nd ed. AD&D tabletop resources alongside its current product line with the release of BG3.

This would be an acknowledgement by WotC that with the BG series near perfection was achieved for the CRPG experience. They conclude that are enough fans who don't want "new and improved" foisted upon them to warrant this plan. On the contrary, this particular fan base wants an even slicker, more polished, and finely tuned classic. I.e., WotC exploits and grows this niche market.

I am greatly encouraged by the number of young fans even now who are so strongly devoted to this beloved game. I just hope that BG/BG2:EE grabs enough new younger folks who play on platforms other than PC to make this dream a reality.
    Tr_ondSon_of_Imoen
  • PaladynPaladyn Member Posts: 23
    Voted 2E as it is my beloved: I started playing AD&D with it. I don't like 3E, it is way too much complicated, 4th E is nice but doesn't fit with me as well, as AD&D 2E.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2012
    I like all editions of D&D but I voted AD&D. Simply to stay true to the original. Unfortunately that will never happen because it will get made in the current D&D ruleset which will most likely be D&D Next which we can't even vote for. Because it is highly unlikely that BG3 will be released before D&D Next (5e).

What edition did NWN2 use?

NWN2 is 3rd (3.5 to be precise - NWN is 3.0) edition which is persionally my favorite table top edition.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    A new Baldur's Gate with 3rd edition rules will be great! Imho :)
    I think they will do BG3 with D&D NEXT ...
  • gereygerey Member Posts: 4
    Voted for 2E.
    If there will be a BG3, it will probably use the BG2:EE engine (money and time saving) with the kits and all the stuff from BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, IWD2:EE. (big hopes, crossed fingers) :)
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    It will likely be DnD Next in order to popularise the new DnD expansion, its the only way I think they could get the license from Wizards.
    MalbortusCorgano
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Never 3e! Multiclassing rules and class balance in general were atrocious in that edition. In order to play an effective character you'd need to dip a few levels into 4+ classes. For BG3 I want to be enjoying the story, not spending hours researching builds for my characters.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2012
    Either 2nd or 3.5 would work great with me. I never really liked 4th edition.. so it would proably put me off buying the game if they used 4th edition.

But, I dont really think our oppinion matter, sadly. BG3 will be made with whatever edition WotC are running at the time they make the game. We can just hope for 5th edition to come out so we dont have to run trough it in 4th edition :p

PS. This is not an all out bash on 4th edition.. its simply a personal oppinion.. I dont like 4th edition at all!
  • CadmusCadmus Member Posts: 7
    BG is already a pretty intense game rule-wise, 3/3.5 make it even more complex and it'd probably only appeal to D&D 3.5 fans.

I feel like 4e would change the feel of the game too much, it just wouldn't feel like BG imo.

Stick with 2e or modify the latest version by picking and choosing what aspects of the rule set will be in the game in order to keep the same feel.
    Mordecai
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    As @Cadros pointed out, the next entry in the BG series will be based upon the most recent iteration of DnD; DnD Next. From what I've seen, DnD Next attempts to combine the flexibility of 3rd edition with the tactical options of 4th, without becoming a rules heavy mess. Only the playtest packets have been released so far, but from what I've seen, they're fairly streamlined without robbing the players of options.

I'm perfectly okay with DnD Next being used for BG3; It will be familiar to new tabletop gamers, and fixes many of the issues that 2nd Edition had (namely the numerous sub-system and occasional arbitrary rules). It could be argued that 2nd Edition rules don't interfere with gameplay because the computer does the heavy lifting, but for this game to succeed it must appeal to modern gamers, many of whom are unfamilar with 2nd Edition mechanics.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    It was nice in IWD2, NWN2.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    3rd would work as I like how it plays in IWD2..I also like it ToEE but I do not like radial menus..
    2nd ed would also be cool. Anything other then that DISGUSTING ABOMINATION known as 4th.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I'd like to see Baldur's Gate 3 be no part of the Bhaalspawn story, and thus not be a "Baldur's Gate" game. I'd like another Infinity engine game set in Faerun utilizing AD&D 2.0. Icewind Dale did it without adding to or tampering with a story that has been completed, and I'm sure there is room in Faerun for more.
    Sophia
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    5e (D&D Next) should really be an option on this poll. I would like to see 5e for BG3. Since Next is supposed to be modular and have different levels of complexity and the ability to create the game that you want, I would like to see the rules implemented as closely as possible to BG 2nd Edition. As I'm playing through the original game again, I really appreciate the simplicity and how each class feels unique. Options are nice, but I don't like to be overwhelmed by them and always feel like I need to pick the "best" option. Honestly, leveling up a fighter in BG is kind of nice, you get more HP, and sometimes a proficiency * to add somewhere.

One thing I definitely want to see is the challenge of playing at a low level (I hope that BGIII will offer low level play). I love the feeling of being scared to venture from the road at level 1 and the anticipation of danger when exploring, followed by accomplishment as you defeat your foes (or disappointment if you die). Then the satisfaction as you slowly increase your capability. One of the things that's fun for me right now, is when I have to run away from a fight gone bad, then return later for vengeance.
    Anton
  • SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    I'd like to see more 2e. There's so much material out there they could make BG 3 fresh by including more kits/options etc. but keeping to the core ruleset we all had in BG 1 & 2. I didn't mind 3e and enjoyed NWN (persistant world perm-death RP server play anyway ;) ) but over time I've come to realise I didn't particularly like the direction later editions were going. The way classes play drastically differently and develop in power in different cycles is something current rulesets try to iron out and keep everything a constant level playing field. However for me things like that help keep characters unique.

It's nice to see the majority of people on the poll agree 2e is the way forward - but I think it's unlikely as I'm sure I read on Trent Oster's twitter feed that he preferred 3rd edition. Also can you still licence old editions of the AD&D ruleset or do WoTC insist you can only use the 'latest and greatest' ?
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    I vote for the unavailable option of edition 5, because that is what I would like to see :-)
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    3.5 please, IWD 2 was very nice (for its combat), but lacked the npc's of BG...
    Sargiel said:

I'd like to see more 2e. There's so much material out there they could make BG 3 fresh by including more kits/options etc. but keeping to the core ruleset we all had in BG 1 & 2. I didn't mind 3e and enjoyed NWN (persistant world perm-death RP server play anyway ;) ) but over time I've come to realise I didn't particularly like the direction later editions were going. The way classes play drastically differently and develop in power in different cycles is something current rulesets try to iron out and keep everything a constant level playing field. However for me things like that help keep characters unique.

It's nice to see the majority of people on the poll agree 2e is the way forward - but I think it's unlikely as I'm sure I read on Trent Oster's twitter feed that he preferred 3rd edition. Also can you still licence old editions of the AD&D ruleset or do WoTC insist you can only use the 'latest and greatest' ?

Dev Philip Daigle has said that we should expect BG3, if there is one, to use WotC's current ruleset at that time. By the time BG3 is ready for release that figures to be 5e.
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2012
    I don't know much about D&D rules

but why is 4th rule set so unpopular

I would have thought that things would have improved with each version?

(I was forced to vote just to view the poll)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited August 2012
    Probally doesn't matter what anyone vote here, the games must be made in the current edition of WotC if i'm not wrong, so they probally gonna use the 5° edition that was annouced in january of this year.

By another side, BG is an already launched franchise that already use AD&D rules.

So, BG3 will be AD&D if the franchise dictates the rule set or 4°/5° edition if based in which moment the game is launched. But i believe that no votes gonna change that.
    omria3
    kamuizin said:

Probally doesn't matter what anyone vote here, the games must be made in the current edition of WotC if i'm not wrong, so they probally gonna use the 5° edition that was annouced in january of this year.

By another side, BG is an already launched franchise that already use AD&D rules.

So, BG3 will be AD&D if the franchise dictates the rule set or 4°/5° edition if based in which moment the game is launched. But i believe that no votes gonna change that.

Exactly. Although I wonder if BG/BG2:EE is highly successful and establishes a robust enough 'nostalgia/retro' market niche, if that isn't something that WotC could find valuable and exploitable as well.