Skip to content

Plantar vs Deva

I believe it's only possible t have one present at any time (right?), so which do people prefer?
Can anyone enlighten me as to their respective attributes (stats, abilities, spells, equipment, etc)?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Planetar is better.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Any particular reason?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Much better... though if you have a paladin it's worth taking a one or two devas
    abacus said:

Any particular reason?

Yes, personal experience using both.
    Helpful...
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I can't say anything for their stats (I assume they have the same), but the Planetar knows more spells than the Deva.
    Thanks @Corvino.. That's pretty much what I wanted to know. :)
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Planetars have better spells, better THAC0 and resistances, are better fighters and have vorpal swords. There is a good reason why Deva is a 7th level slot while Planetar is a 9th.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2014
    An old debate was related to the enchantment weapon they got.
    Not sure about the enchantement level they have in BG2EE. Do they hit as +3 / 4 / 5 ?
    The Deva may have an advantage here.

Planetars also benefit from better saving throws. It is a serious fighter with a heal spell to last longer (+ good regeneration rate).
    IIRC Planetars have more APRs.
    Post edited by Musigny on
    Lathlaer said:

There is a good reason why Deva is a 7th level slot while Planetar is a 9th.

Like Gate & Energy Blades?
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    Planetar is the next level up from a Deva. It's like having an earth elemental or a greater earth elemental.
    There's no question - Planetars do everything a Deva does, but better.
    @abacus Well...not every spell is well designed for it's level :P

HLA are difficult to compare to normal spells — cleric gets Gate and Deva as 7th level slots and it's hardly a choice. Of course you have to wait for the Deva to reach 3 mil, but still.

@Musigny I'm not sure about Deva but I assume it's the same as Planetar. Planetar's Silver Sword hits as +3 (2d10+3 and that's also the enchantment).

Which is ridiculous considering that summoned Fire Elemental hits as +4 (even Elemental Princes hit as +3...)
    Taear said:

Planetar is the next level up from a Deva. It's like having an earth elemental or a greater earth elemental.

I didn't know this... Thought they came from different planes/spheres or something. Thanks for the Lore.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I think devas have the mace of disruption +2 which hits as +5.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    kryptix said:

I think devas have the mace of disruption +2 which hits as +5.

I will put it to the test.
    Great against all Golems.
    edited February 2014
    abacus said:

Taear said:

I didn't know this... Thought they came from different planes/spheres or something. Thanks for the Lore.
    Deva < Planetar < Solar

I'd link you the forgotten realms wiki article about it but nowadays a Deva is just a really REALLY good Aasimar and a Planetar is a straight angel. Before they were different levels of angel heirarchy - there's some images if you look around of the three of them in the same picture looking bigger than one another.
    Post edited by Taear on
    @Taer Don't you mean it the other way, lol. Now you're saying Deva is greater than the rest...

@Taear Don't you mean it the other way, lol. Now you're saying Deva is greater than the rest...

Can't think what you may mean!

• ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    I am not entirely sure about that mace of distruption thing. In BP2 neither devas nor planetar were able to harm the Ravager (while my monk was able to), so it seems that they hit only as +2 weapons.

Nuff said their casting abilities are very good. Especialy planetar with instantcast 3x revive and 3x heal
    edited February 2014
    @Tear He is most likely referring to mathematical symbols you used to illustrate how the celestials compare to each other in terms of power :)

@Arizael Yeah, from what I noticed the Planetar, when badly hurt, tends to cast Heal on herself super fast (with speed of 2 or 3 tops).
    Lathlaer said:

@Taear He is most likely referring to mathematical symbols you used to illustrate how the celestials compare to each other in terms of power :)

Yes I know, I edited it and was making a joke.
    edited February 2014
    Ok, my DLTCEP is telling me that Deva's Mace of Disruption +2 (item code: DEVA) has enchantment +3.

What's interesting, I don't see Haste as equipping effect there. I have not summoned a Deva in a very long time, but is she hasted when she enters?

And well...I was wrong, apparently they are closer to each other in terms of physical combat capabilities than I thought. Planetar has one attack over Deva. Their weapons deal similar average damage (3d6+3 deva vs. 2d10+3 planetar), their stats are similar (deva has even higher Dex and Cha). I don't remember if Deva is automatically hasted so that could be winning point for Planetar (albeit a small one, since you can buff easily).

Really, apparently most of Planetar's advantage comes from spells.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited February 2014
    Plantetars casting heal is instantaneous.
    Planetars are the reason druids are better than clerics overall. The reasoning goes like this:
    - you don't need two divine casting npcs but you do need one for a "normal" playthrough
    -- you pick druid (jaheira for example)
    --- later, you get a cleric (planetar) that is better than any cleric npc
    ---- you have swarms and chan and some sweet zero casting time cleric spells
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    bob_veng said:

Planetars are the reason druids are better than clerics overall. The reasoning goes like this:
    - you don't need two divine casting npcs but you do need one for a "normal" playthrough

Blasphemy. My priest of helm hobit was one of the most powerful character I've ever rolled.
    @bob_veng
    Actually, you don't want Chan. Planetar can emulate him easily (Globe of Blades). You want Sunnis, who has double Planetar's HP, is much stronger physically and casts Stoneskin :)
    Arizael said:

bob_veng said:

Blasphemy. My priest of helm hobit was one of the most powerful character I've ever rolled.
    Haha! Thread synergy... That slots nicely into my non-archetype builds thread too.
    Colour me happy.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2014
    abacus said:

Lathlaer said:

There is a good reason why Deva is a 7th level slot while Planetar is a 9th.

Like Gate & Energy Blades?
    Precisely!

I vote planetar.

• DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Planetar has more attacks and more spells.

3 attacks with silver sword

Deva is only 2 attacks with a mace of disruption.

Same hp, thaco and ac otherwise.

110 hp makes them all in all pretty good.

I have a hard time insisting a lvl 9 spell on the planetar, but it's worth 1 memorization. Just remember if you like to use AOE spells if the Planetar turns on you odds are it will vorpal hit one of your characters compared to the deva who isn't that hard to just kill with your party.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Lathlaer said:

@bob_veng
    Actually, you don't want Chan. Planetar can emulate him easily (Globe of Blades). You want Sunnis, who has double Planetar's HP, is much stronger physically and casts Stoneskin :)

you're right, sunnis is much better, but i'm used to mentioning chan when reffering to prince summons because once i thought that he was better.