Skip to content

#7208 [CORE] - Hexxat in Hell (selfishness trial)

bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
edited January 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
EXP. BEHAVIOR': on core difficulty hexxat gets chunked

*alternatively*

EXP. BEHAVIOR'': on core difficulty hexxat doesn't get chunked; she is killed and resurrects normally (which would render the demon a bit stupid but oh well, maybe he doesn't know she's a vampire)

CURR. BEHAVIOR: on core difficulty hexxat doesn't get chunked; she *doesn't* get killed either, even tho her HP is reduced to zero, furthermore:
a. she is held, permanently and undispellably
b. she starts regenerating
c. if removed from party she doesn't initiate dialogue, since she's been held
d. when the player initiates dialogue and reaccepts her she remains held (which implies she's been talking even tho she's been held, but that's an absolutely microscopic issue)
e. when she's forcibly reduced to 0 HP again (by uhm whacking her with daystar) nothing happens, she doesn't vaporize
f. when she's forcibly reduced to 0 HP and then removed from party, she vaporizes and her gasseous form "dies" after a second or two
g. if the player quickly initiates dialogue with the gasseous form before it "dies", he can reaccept her; she will then grey out at 0 HP and function normally afterwards

THE UNEXPECTED RESULT: the player can now, on core difficulty, pass the selfishness trial going the evil path without losing an NPC, but not without fiddling with the opaque mechanics of permahold, attacking your own characters, discovering mortal gasseous forms etc.

A PROPOSED RESOLUTION: implement the permanent NPC loss solution; powers of hell are greater than the powers of vampirism, and demons aren't stupid
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited January 2014
    @Illydth
    Wow, it seems i've accidentally posted this in the fixed section (sorry!). Or has it been moved?

edit: maybe this can be fixed by making the effect expire after a short time.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @bob_veng: Moved back to the bug reports section from Fixed as it sounds like this is not fixed. :)

NOTE: The last time I played/completed BG2 was over 12 years ago, so I don't remember the exact circumstances here.

Let me make sure I understand the basics: In the trial of selfishness you are supposed to irrevocably lose Hexxat through a choice you can make. Due to the way Hexxat is being handled, however, she cannot "die" so weird effects are happening...culminating in a way to "cheese" the Selfishness trial without losing a character?

Can you post up a saved game prior to the trial and the choices you're making to initiate Hexxat being gibbed?
    Got it, tagged for 7208 and marked now in the Consolidated Report. Thanks guys!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Illdyth you've tagged it ToB while this is End Game of SoA :)
    Fixed. Thanks.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    Gate70 said:

3) Forum feedback indicates Hexxat is always selected, not verified.

Just to confirm that's not the case - Korgan was picked for me.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Gate70 said:

Taear you had Korgan and Hexxat in your party at the time? (sorry, need to be certain)

I have Korgan and Hexxat in my run, I'll give this a try when I reach that part of the game.
    Tomorrow I'll see if I can reach Spellhold.. STILL in Chapter 3...
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    Gate70 said:

@Taear you had Korgan and Hexxat in your party at the time? (sorry, need to be certain)

Sorry yes. Korgan, Hexxat. Korgan was second in positioning after CHARNAME and Hexxat was fifth.

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Need to isolate how it selects the held character. It took Minsc for me and he was in second slot. You'd think it'd have taken the NPC I was romancing...