Skip to content

#6691 [DORN] - Viconia casting Turn Paladin affects Fallen Paladin Dorn

GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Seems this should be a bug. Dorn loses all the good (um, relatively speaking) Blackguard abilities and perks. He loses all spell casting. Yet Turn Undead --rather its cousin Turn Paladin-- makes him run around in a panic.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @LiamEsler Do you know how this is supposed to work?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Not sure. @CamDawg?
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    Dorn is a Fallen Blackguard not a Paladin, of course.. oops. But the effect is as described.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Paladins are supposed to be turnable by high-level evil clerics. Fallen paladins and fallen blackguards both get moved to the same paladin 'kit'--the turning of paladins should probably include an alignment check since the assumption that paladins are LG is no longer accurate.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @CamDawg / @LiamEsler: We've got 6691 in already for this. Take a look at that one and see if we need to change status on the bug.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Illydth - Yeah, I've un-WNF'd it. It'll need repro steps, but yeah :)
    edited December 2013
    @Gawdzilla: Can you do us a favor and post up a saved game and what steps to repro this? Should be easy but with all the work going on any thing you can do to help us would be appreciated.

ANY saved game with Viconia capable of turning Dorn and tell us what to click, I'll get the rest together. Do me a favor and @Illydth me in your reply.

Tagged and Locked into the Consolidated Report. I'll update the bug report once we get a game and repro steps.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    Sure, here you go. Just have Vicky "turn undead" -- after a cycle or two of that, Dorn will start to panic.

I reproduced the effect here & re-saved the game (first saw it happen during combat earlier, so doesn't seem to matter if you're in combat/exploring, in dungeon/in the city..).

Thanks!

@Illydth
  • SmilerSmiler Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2014
    Dorn should be immune to this anyway because of his kit's "immunity to level drain and fear" bonuses, but for some reason he does not have this in Throne of Bhaal (just checked and he has the Negative Plane Protection and Resist Fear icons on his portrait in BG:EE and BG2:EE, just not in Throne of Bhaal).

Just tested this and found that player-made cavaliers and player-made blackguards (and any paladin under the effects of a Remove Fear spell) are both immune to the panic effect of an evil cleric's rebuke paladin ability (the user interface still said "Viconia - Turned Paladin" and the character sprites both produced the noise and white flash signalling they'd been turned though).

Ensuring ToB Dorn has his innate resistance to fear would fix this issue - you'd still get the "Turned Paladin" sound, but it wouldn't actually do anything.

EDIT: Just checked and ToB Dorn is also vulnerable to level drain.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Smiler said:

Dorn should be immune to this anyway because of his kit's "immunity to level drain and fear" bonuses, but for some reason he does not have this in Throne of Bhaal (just checked and he has the Negative Plane Protection and Resist Fear icons on his portrait in BG:EE and BG2:EE, just not in Throne of Bhaal).

Just tested this and found that player-made cavaliers and player-made blackguards (and any paladin under the effects of a Remove Fear spell) are both immune to the panic effect of an evil cleric's rebuke paladin ability (the user interface still said "Viconia - Turned Paladin" and the character sprites both produced the noise and white flash signalling they'd been turned though).

Ensuring ToB Dorn has his innate resistance to fear would fix this issue - you'd still get the "Turned Paladin" sound, but it wouldn't actually do anything.

EDIT: Just checked and ToB Dorn is also vulnerable to level drain.

sounds like he became a Fallen Paladin (Backguard).
    I updated the bug report with the Saved Game and Repo Steps, that should be the last thing needed for the devs to work with this.

@Smiler: I noted the Fear/Level Drain issue in the ticket as well. Once the next patch comes out, you might want to check on whether Dorn is still affected by level drain and fear again. I'm not separating this as it's own bug as there's every possibility that fixing Dorn to not be turned may fix this issue. If not, re-open it as a bug at that point.
    @CrevsDaak - Good suggestion, but it appears he's still a full-on Blackguard, not a fallen.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    @Smiler do you have a saved game to upload? do you have any mods/did any edits?
    EDIT: have you played with Dorn in SoA and with the twists of his storyline made of him a Fallen Blackguard in SoA? maybe a variable from there is reaching ToB.
    @CrevsDaak - No, this bug only seems to be affecting a Dorn from a fresh ToB game - any Dorn imported from an SoA game comes with all the correct powers and immunities.

A non-imported ToB Dorn from the Fate Spirit lacks the level drain/fear immunities, but is still a regular Blackguard (is not listed as a fallen on his character screen or in EEkeeper, still has Blackguard powers and comes equipped with the Ur-Gothoz abyssal blade).
    No mods installed, posted a save file in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/464754#Comment_464754
    NOTE: The linked thread, while a duplicate of this bug, has a good saved game posted for this bug + more information.