Skip to content

Why I haven't played BG2:EE yet.

It's true, I haven't played BG2:EE yet. It's not because I don't have it, I pre-ordered it. I've had it installed since it came out.

The reason is, I decided that the right way to play BG2, was with a character that has already finished BG1, and I don't have any saved games from BG1. I bought a new laptop a little while ago, and for some reason, I decided to delete my saved games.

The solution to this is pretty simple, I just have to play through BG1 first, and then I can play BG2.

The problem with that is that I'm a carrier of the re-rollers disease. I'm on my fourth attempt to finish, and it's looking good. I'm past the spots where I normally re-roll.

My first attempt was a dwarven defender, and he's still sitting in Cloakwood. He's not alone though, because my second attempt was a human fighter->mage, who's also sitting in Cloakwood. Long before I ever get to Cloakwood, I'm already dreaming up the next character. The linear feeling of Cloakwood often makes me go roll that character.

My third attempt was a Cavalier who made it to Baldurs Gate before I re-rolled. This is the second spot that I usually abandon characters. There is so much to do, and so much to see, and so much time spent traversing the maps of Baldurs Gate, I find it hard to progress the main story sometimes.

I've got an elven archer in the Candlekeep Catacombs right now. Soon, I should be able to actually try out BG2!

Comments

• GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    I know this feeling all too well. I began a Blade from scrath after deciding I loved playing Haer'Dalis.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    An excellent choice! (for whatever you're after...) ehm... I finished BGEE with elven archeress and switched her good alignment and class to neutral evil wizard-slaying marksman..so to speak.
    After what she had lived through in BGEE she doesn't trust anybody and succumbing to the power of her blood she'll do anything to become the new Lord of Murder!! xD
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    I did the same thing but my desire to play BG2:EE was so strong that it overcame the disease
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Play Multiplayer
    Anytime you want to reroll a character, go ahead and do it and just replace your main. The downside is that pc is much weaker and you'll lose bhaal powers BUT it does allow the story to progress while still trying a new character.
    A good way around this is to start with 2 PCs and switch only one of them out when you get bored with them.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    BG2 is so much better than BG1 in every aspect that, I really don't feel guilty if I start out with bg2 only. I just pretend my character has suffered amnesia thanks to tortures at the start of the bg2, and there are responses in dialogue options (like asking Imoen 'who are you?') so it is plausible to role play as well.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @lunar nice idea, I could use the same excuse.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    I've been trying to finish BG1 for 15 years because of Chronic Reroll Disease..........

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I was having the same problem, and then I made a half-orc fighter/thief that was skilled with two handed swords, and his name was: like a BAWSS, give it a try, and read all the dialogue you have with npcs and have some good laughs
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95

I've been trying to finish BG1 for 15 years because of Chronic Reroll Disease..........

Yeah, I've probably got about a 1% success rate on starts vs. finishes.
    sarevok57 said:

I was having the same problem, and then I made a half-orc fighter/thief that was skilled with two handed swords, and his name was: like a BAWSS, give it a try, and read all the dialogue you have with npcs and have some good laughs

rollin through the dungeon like a BAWSS! Slayin puny dryad hoes like a BAWSS! Eatin their acorns like a BAWSS! Leavin Jaheira in a cage like a BAWSS!

Yea, i could have some fun with that
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    edited February 2014
    Let's see... I started with a F/M/C and got bored as soon as I reached Baldur's Gate, then rolled a CE elf F/M and got bored as soon as I got to the basilisks, then rolled a C/R using a set of rules where I nerf the main character and all the NPC's so they all have horrible stats and may lose their classes, but that character basically lost (after a few reloads I'm out), and then I decided I really liked that system a lot so I made the SAME F/M/C as before, with the same picture and name but worse rolls that I actually got naturally (instead of 18's in all her mentals) and I put about 15 hours into her, then while simultaneously planning a gnome illusionist, a human conjurer, and a similarly nerfed reincarnation of my CE elf, I decided to go back to the first character and just finish - not to treat the game like a theme park, but just to beat Sarevok and have done with it. I think that was a good decision. Perhaps something to think about.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    My story of "Why I haven't played BG2:EE yet" is little different to OP's.

-First of all, I wait until BG2:EE will be patched.

-Second, I want to finish my BG1:EE playthrought first.

-Thrid, I won't even start my BG1:EE playthrought, because I'm waiting for Overhaul to finally show their full support for non-english language versions (meaning the dub for the original content from the original BG)

-Fourth, I'm waiting for the same thing to happen with BG2:EE (the translation time will do their job in time, since they're pretty dedicated. Overhaul will probably take like over a year to do what they should).

It's not like I want to be an ass about the situation with the dubs, but I can't really help it. I was raised on playing Baldur's Gate in my native language, and while I can enjoy playing in English too, it's different experience.

@hummer010
    I cheer on your Archer making it to the BG2!

My story of "Why I haven't played BG2:EE yet" is little different to OP's.

-First of all, I wait until BG2:EE will be patched.

-Second, I want to finish my BG1:EE playthrought first.

-Thrid, I won't even start my BG1:EE playthrought, because I'm waiting for Overhaul to finally show their full support for non-english language versions (meaning the dub for the original content from the original BG)

-Fourth, I'm waiting for the same thing to happen with BG2:EE (the translation time will do their job in time, since they're pretty dedicated. Overhaul will probably take like over a year to do what they should).

It's not like I want to be an ass about the situation with the dubs, but I can't really help it. I was raised on playing Baldur's Gate in my native language, and while I can enjoy playing in English too, it's different experience.

@hummer010
    I cheer on your Archer making it to the BG2!

Well dude, you might be waiting a while. I think they're still focused on getting the game as is to all of the platforms first, and after that patching, and after that....who knows
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    I decided to wait to play BG2 until second update for BG2...to my peril.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    I'm not sure if the devs ever mentioned that they're planning to remake the localized overdubs.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Fredjo said:

I'm not sure if the devs ever mentioned that they're planning to remake the localized overdubs.

From what I've read it's indeed planned to at least dub BG2:EE into German. And thanks to the 1.2 update some of us can finally enjoy to play BG:EE completely in German too. I haven't heard about plans of dubbing other languages for either game though.

Anyway, I'm currently also waiting for the upcoming BG2:EE patch. The bugs I encountered with Edwin, Hexxat and Dorn within my last playthrough were unbearable to continue. That, and I'm still eagerly awaiting @Ardanis' Divine Remix update. :'(
    @ZaknafeinBaenre
    I know, but I am more than willing to wait before I buy BG2:EE. I am not amused, since even if it comes to BG1:EE alone, fans were able to do workaround for the dub in just one day, while Overhaul can't in even more than year. If they have promised full multi-language support, I have right to expect minimum. I don't really care about the dub for the new content, I just want the old one.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I did BG2:EE with a Dwarven Defender. Wasn't bad, but I probably would of went with a caster of some sort
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014

@ZelgadisGW

Of course it's a personal thing, and I'm not sure which language you are referring to, but for many games and works of fiction, I think it loses something when you translate it into another language, due to lack of cultural context and lack of exact translations.

I have seen some Chinese translations for BG, and though they are very good, and clearly the result of a lot of hard work, some of it looked pretty weird to me. I can't imagine what Minsc would sound like if dubbed in Chinese, lol. I'd certainly recommend my Chinese friends to play in English, unless they really struggled with it.

That said, most European languages are a lot closer related, so it's probably easier to translate without losing some of the meaning.

Edit:

Oh and on the original topic... I haven't played BG2:EE much cos I was already in the middle of a BG 2 Vanilla playthrough. I don't suffer from restartisis, but I do take ages to get started with all the faffin' around with portraits and backstories. I also tend to take my time with games, and I am a bit ocd about starting from the beginning and going to the end, so each of my playthroughs is gonna take ages...
    @Heindrich
    I am aware of it all that. But that's not reason for developers to ignore something they promised before shipping the first Enhanced Edition. After months of fruitless waiting I feel cheated, to be honest.

Also, as I mentioned above: playing BG in english, while still being enjoyable, is very different experience from what I get used to and love. It's not like I can explain it to you entirely, there is just no way.

@Heindrich
    I am aware of it all that. But that's not reason for developers to ignore something they promised before shipping the first Enhanced Edition. After months of fruitless waiting I feel cheated, to be honest.

Also, as I mentioned above: playing BG in english, while still being enjoyable, is very different experience from what I get used to and love. It's not like I can explain it to you entirely, there is just no way.

I think you need to understand that they are the only people out there that are trying to support and further our favorite game, Baldur's Gate, and they have a whole lot on their plate. Instead of trying to hold them hostage by not giving them your support until you get what you want, you might find that by supporting them now, they'll be able to satisfy all of our demands faster. You are forgetting that Overhaul is on our side. And they're doing as best they can, and we should really appreciate them for bringing this franchise back from the dead, and support their efforts. What you are doing...it isn't helping anything at all.
    @ZaknafeinBaenre
    You reminded me that I ought to be grateful for what I already have. Thank you. Seriously, what I just wrote might sounds turgidly, but it's true.

I disagree one one point, thought. It's not like what I am doing isn't helping at all. It's more like I'm not doing anything. Because and frankly, what I can do? I'm not a beta tester, and I'm not even knowledgable about D&D and Inifinty Engine. So, naturally I'm quite useless fan.
    I support them by playing the game and posting here my support for it. I bought the game on Steam too, and GOG before enhanced edition. I come to the forum and participate, helping foster the image of an active and thriving support base for the game. That creates a market for the product we hope they will make (BG:Next!). You can do the same and that would help.
    That's one wide definition of support.
    it is the only support a customer can give. That and, of course, positive amazon reviews
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    I've had a bad case of restartitis as well. But at least I have an excuse. I've been modding my game to add some more bags and to tinker with the AI of my party, and I keep needing to restart because of changes I've made along the way. I think I pretty much have it now though. Unfortunately I'm a long way from completing the changes. I need to add a trap script to every container in the game that doesn't already have one, and there are a lot of them.