8. Amelyssan
        0.78%
    9. Midnight/Mystra
      22.48%
    10. Other (please state!)
      20.93%

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    The big El is so badass he doesn't have to flash it. Understated class act.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Going to have to give it to the Goddess of Arcane Magic and Controller of the Weave, assuming that it is a fairly logical conclusion. There is something to be said for Karsus here, although I think we have to disqualify the spell circles that are not unreachable. Furthermore he still ended up getting himself killed, so he can't be that hot on the Goddess' tail ;)
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Voted for Elminster. Mystra would be the obvious choice, but Midnight? confused me.

The best would be Ao or his Master
  • @Yamcha, Mystra is killed during the Time of Troubles in 1358DR and Midnight, a mortal mage, takes her place :)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I dont know - i am not sure about the power of a godess in comparison with mortals. I went for Irenicus with the gut feeling, mostly due to incredible ambition.
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    Obviously not Gorion...getting himself killed in the first chapter isn't a good way to show how strong of a mage you are :P
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    Though not of the Forgotten Realms, I voted for Raistlin - casting the ever-useful fireball once and again. then travelling time, challenging the goddess Takhisis, even though the results, perhaps, were not so flattering... I always remember the Dragonlance novel series fondly, and I don´t really recall reading about any memorable mage from the Forgotten Realms.

If I were only to pick one strong mage from the Baldur´s Gate saga, the choice would be very hard - both Amelyssan and Irenicus come close of being the strongest mages. All the liches are very powerful, and the dragons are quite formidable magic users too (or, rather, fighter/mages).

The most amusing magic users with cutscenes are Sendai from ToB and Gulnan from Neverwinter Nights 1. There is just something hilarious in advancing through the drow enclave, all of a sudden being stopped by the cutscene where the drow captain informs Sendai of the incoming troublemaker. Gulnan, on the other hand, sends a projection of herself, telling of having seen visions "of the scaled ones will rule".

• MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Mystra is without a doubt the greatest mage of the company, if only for the fact that - being a personification of the Weave - she controls and provides it to its users, and could very well and without effort shape it away or around a single user, an area, a city or an entire nation. The fact that she doesn't, doesn't necessarily mean she won't or she wouldn't if pressed. And once Larloch, Karsus or Ammon Jerro (seriously?) cannot access the Weave, they are only humans after all. Plus, she's a kick-ass deity. There's no contest here.
    I would just point out that arguably the second most powerful mage of the FR (and likely the first most powerful non-deity mage) is this guy here:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ioulaum

Just an exerpt: "great archwizard of Netheril [...] When Ioulaum abandoned Netheril [...] panic spread at the news of his disappearance, leading to Karsus casting his spell “Karsus’s Avatar"." This means that his presence alone was what kept Karsus at bay. And just as a reminder, Karsus was almost in par with the old Mystra (Mystril) since she sacrificed herself to block Karsus.

Plus, Ioulaum invented this *epic* spell: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ioulaum's_Longevity.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm not D&D geek and I'm also not very knowledgable about it... But from what I read about Larloch, he seems to be a ULB. Ultimate Litch Badass.
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Amelyssan the Blackhearted one step away from godhood? I'm sure she could hand over half of the list their asses by doing so much as sneezing on them.
    Furthermore, her attributes corroborate her claims, as according to her character sheet she not only has one more level of mage than Elminster, BUT ALSO 30 levels of Cleric and 10 of Deathstalker, which puts her on a higher league than deities such as Azuth, Helm and Waukeen and on par with Lathander/Amaunator!
  • cythoncython Member Posts: 1
    Although some may say Larloch, or Ioulaum, I think Srinshee can beat them with one hand!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Kamigoroshi irenicus can bench 1200 in the slayer form no sweat :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Yeah, but how about imagining Xan as a Lich. "It's all so hopeless!"
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    Elminster is massively powerful but he's pretty much hit his peak when the events of the BG series take place. Larloch, at the time of TOB, is still growing in power... who knows how far he goes.

If he had survived the events of SOA, I'd say Irenicus, due to the combination of his innate magical talent and his scientific devotion to acquiring power from nature, divinity and the arcane... and he'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling Bhaalspawn. Seriously, imagine he'd pulled off his plans - which he only missed by a hair's breadth - then we have an already powerful mage, fused with the power of the great tree and harboring the soul of a god. The power... the POWER!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    With 6000+ years of experience wielding magic in the realms, I can say without a shadow of doubt, Mystra is the most powerful arcane magic user as she is in fact magics essence and character given form.

A close second not on this list is Azuth, the lord of spells.

Personally in a spell duel, I would have had 'im. But unfortunately, in the semi-finals of the Spell Duel Cup, I faced off against Savras who basically cheated by summoning a horde of monsters to fight me. I say he cheated because he payed them. If he had summoned properly, I would be a less bitter gnome today.

Anyway, he ran out of money fighting Azuth, who shafted him for me. Literally shafted him. Azuth turned that wooden shaft into a staff... Still uses it today... (Until late Edition when something strange happened, spellplaguey and we all got shafted...)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    Ioulaum. 41 level (31 Wizard/5 Archmage/5 Netherese Arcanist), Elder Brain Lich.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ioulaum

And I think putting Mystra (a god) on the list is cheating. Because then I will use my Ao/Lady of Pain card.
    Lady of Pain can keep gods out of her city and that includes Mystra. That makes her far more powerful.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited February 2014

Elminster is massively powerful but he's pretty much hit his peak when the events of the BG series take place. [...]

I am not sure that Elminster hit the peak during the 1370s. After the events reported in "Elminster enraged" I had the distinct impression that he will ascend to some sort of godhood in the nearest future, possibly taking over the mantle (and staff) that was once Azuth's.

Edit: I have to agree with Archaos. Placing Mystra on the list kinda feels like no contest. I stick to my choice, but had Mystra not been on the list, I would have voted for Ioulaum, for the aforementioned reasons.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Afraid i'm not up on my D&D lore so can't make an informed choice.
    So I pick Tiax - because Tiax rules all.
    edited February 2014

Tiax isn't even a mage, kiddo.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Loub said:

Tiax isn't even a mage, kiddo.
    My bad! thought he was in spellhold?
    @TwoWayFinesse
    He was. But his classes are Thief and Cleric, no scent of magic whatsoever.
    I think he was there because he is batshit insane. I was always under the impression spellhold was also a bedlam house?