Skip to content

Where do Xzar&Montaron/Khald&Jaheira go when you kick them out of the party? (Solved)

filip989filip989 Member Posts: 5
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here, I have a question that is in the title of this discussion... where do they go? The reason I need to find them is...

*minor spoiler alert*

... I've lost Merianne's letter. Yeah, I managed to loose it. I found it before exploring Beregost and getting the quest from Merianne, and when I finally got to her, she told me her husband's missing, I ended the dialogue and talked to her again, but nothing happened. I checked my inventory, noone has the letter. I've checked with every shopkeeper, inkeeper that I've sold items to, and I've checked Xan who I kicked out for Neera... I'm pretty sure one of those 4 guys was left with the letter by accident, and I really would like to find them.
Post edited by Heindrich on

Comments

• casualtcasualt Member Posts: 35
    If you dismissed them before doing the Nashkel mines then they are gone for good.
  • filip989filip989 Member Posts: 5
    I've found Xzar and Montaron, they were at the Nashkel fair where I ditched them. Khalid and Jaheira were ditched (I remembered where I left them after writing the post) when I took Dorn into the party, that mid-area between Nashkel and the mines. Both before the mines.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If u haven't found the letter, don't worry too much about it. The reward for that quest is tiny and insignificant. If you want to do the quest anyway, u can edit it in with CluaConsole or EE Keeper.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2014
    I believe if it's after Chapter 2 and they are NOT in the party, both the Zhents (if they are at the wooded area outside Candlekeep) and the Harpers (if they are at the Friendly Arm Inn) will leave and be gone forever.

Found this out the hard way as I usually make my "base" at the Friendly Arm and once dropped K & J there to pick up some other NPCs for a bit. Both just up and left forever with all of their equipment and I was very near the end of the game...

I'm unsure if it's the same in the EE version however.

EDIT: Okay, looks like they won't just up and disappear in the EE, unless you haven't had them in the party. That's good.
    Post edited by Blucher on
  • casualtcasualt Member Posts: 35
    The reward is a ring of protection +1 which is always handy.
    @Blucher I'm not really sure what's chapter 2 or any other chapter in this game. It just transfers my quests from one chapter to another. Since the beginning of the game I went to Friendlyarm Inn, went to Nashkel and cleared the mines and that's it. I did a few quests along the way, and it says chapter 3 in my journal.
    I've never played BG before, I got Icewind Dale for Christmas 13 years ago, and I installed it a week ago to finally finish it (I was a kid at the time I got it). Then I saw Baldur's Gate and bought that too, so I really don't know how long the game is in terms of chapters.

I don't actually mind not finishing every quest in this run, since this is my first time playing the game, and I do it by the feel, I'll do a good and a bad campaign later, but not being able to find two of the most important (since Gorion send us to meet them) characters of the game if I ditch them before a certain part of the game just seems kinda stupid.
    edited February 2014
    Two posts one after another, but... I just traveled from Beregost to Nashkel mines and was ambushed by a few NPCs at the same spot you meet Dorn for the second time (when you get to add him to the party). Khalid and Jaheira are here, standing at the top of the map. So they're not gone, they're just in a random-spawning part of the map... I don't really care about the letter anymore, I just want to share this with you guys, if you dismissed someone in this part of the map, you can run into them again.

Edit: Khalid had the letter, so as far as I'm concerned, this topic is closed. However, seeing that I found characters that should be gone, maybe this can stay and admins/mods can rename it appropriatelly
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    That's very odd, I've never seen that happen before. Usually when I drop some party member, they stay put where I left them. I've certainly never had them reappear in some random map.
    It's not a radnom map, it's just... a random appearing map? Like those small areas when you travel from one area to another and get ambushed. They were in that ambush area, but I couldn't access it every time.
    filip989 said:

It's not a radnom map, it's just... a random appearing map? Like those small areas when you travel from one area to another and get ambushed.

Yes, I realized that.
    filip989 said:

They were in that ambush area, but I couldn't access it every time.

I understand now. When you picked up Dorn they got stuck there and couldn't leave the area.

@Belanos and OP.
    filip989 said:

However, seeing that I found characters that should be gone, maybe this can stay and admins/mods can rename it appropriatelly

This is actually 'expected behaviour', even if it is not perhaps the most realistic.

Essentially Jaheira and Khalid stayed in place because you told them to, they are not supposed to be gone forever. But because you happened to have left them in an area that randomly spawns, you wouldn't normally run into them again unless you repeatedly travelled between the two areas to try to spawn a 'You have been waylaid and must defend yourself' event.

I will just add a solved tag to the title.
    Heindrich said:

Essentially Jaheira and Khalid stayed in place because you told them to, they are not supposed to be gone forever. But because you happened to have left them in an area that randomly spawns, you wouldn't normally run into them again unless you repeatedly travelled between the two areas to try to spawn a 'You have been waylaid and must defend yourself' event.

It might not be a bad idea for Beamdog to add some kick-out behaviour so that players can tell characters to go to a specific location. SCS has a routine that does this, so it's not like it's impossible to do.

@Belanos

The BG:EE characters already have this function. (They go to the Friendly Arm Inn). I am not sure if a feature request has been submitted for the other characters or if there might be technical or other difficulties in implementing this for all the original characters.

This is of course standard for BG 2, where you can tell all characters to stay put, or go to their regular place.