Skip to content

[Multiplayer] Custom spells not working

Keldorn_firecampKeldorn_firecamp Member Posts: 50
edited February 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Multiplayer custom spells not working.
When you import an existing character with a custom spell to multiplayer game, the spell wont show up.
I would like to get this fixed, as custom spells were allowed back in enhanced edition i.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• Keldorn_firecampKeldorn_firecamp Member Posts: 50
    bump
    Gate70 said:

Not sure exactly what you mean. Have you done something like add a standard priest level 1 spell Cure Light Wounds to a wizard, or created a new spell such as Rumbling Stomach.

& where do scripts fit into this.

The Multiplayer Permissions > Options menu doesn't seem to include either of these, the options being Statistics, +Experience, or +Items. Have you got the widest option selected.

What i mean is that all of my self-made spells won't show up if i make a multiplayer game.
    Custom spells do work in Baldur's Gate 1 but not in Baldur's Gate 2.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I can denote that custom scripts (BS) don't work also, making impossible to cheat my friends *sigh*...
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited February 2014
    Did you share your new spells with the other players?
    Otherwise I believe the reason is simple: you need to have the same configuration of game/mods on both sides if you want the multiplayer game to work.
    Let's assume your new spell conjures a new demon using a custom animation. When you use the spell, how is your mate game supposed to display the demon if the animation is not installed on his/her end. If the demon starts attacking his/her character since it's not protected against evil, is your mate going to see an invisible monster ripping his/her character? When his/her character strikes back, how it his game going to handle the new demon AC to see if it manages to hit?
    Isaya said:

Otherwise I believe the reason is simple: you need to have the same configuration of game/mods on both sides if you want the multiplayer game to work.
    Let's assume your new spell conjures a new demon using a custom animation. When you use the spell, how is your mate game supposed to display the demon if the animation is not installed on his/her end. If the demon starts attacking his/her character since it's not protected against evil, is your mate going to see an invisible monster ripping his/her character? When his/her character strikes back, how it his game going to handle the new demon AC to see if it manages to hit?

Yea but that spell doesn't use anything that is custom. Everything has been created based on the content that is available.
    Isaya said:

There is no point of sharing the scripts since even when i started my server, my custom spell did not load. What is the point of sharing something that will not even load by itself?
  • VallahadVallahad Member Posts: 10
    Well this is news to me. Are the custom spells written by you, or did you get them from a mod? But I digress. This might be wrong, but if the custom content your using is all made with content that is available in game, how does your friends game know where to look for that content? In most cases, computer scripts are stupid. You have to spell out to it exactly where the content its supposed to use is, or it wont work. Try sharing the content, like Isaya said and I'll be willing to bet that it will work.
  • VallahadVallahad Member Posts: 10
    And if you don't want to share it because that will tip your friend off to the joke, may I recommend going nuts with EE Keeper if your the host.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Keldorn_firecamp: I think the issue most people are having here with your question is how did you create "custom spells", as there is no option within the game to do so, the question is what/where/how did you create these things.

Once we get past that question, the next question is how do your friends computers know how to get a hold of whatever custom content you've created?

You suggest that BG1 allows this: When did you try it? Have you tried it recently?

I ask because with the release of BG2 BeamDog has moved to an internet based game matching concept where your games are being hosted through a BeamDog server (at minimum BeamDog's servers are acting as a broker between you and your friends when the game gets initially setup), there's a possibility that if the server doesn't understand your content it may not be allowing it.

Does your BG1 Installation/Multi-player still support your custom content?

As it is, I am moving this thread to the Modding boards. We cannot support bug reports on a custom modded game unless it is reproducible in the base game, and by definition problem with custom content cannot be reproduced in the base game. :)

Good luck to you, hopefully the folks watching the modding forum can help you.