Skip to content

Disappointing enhancement

I am playing BG2EE these days. The game itself is still awesome. But I am afraid the graphics and gameplay enhancement is not as great as it could be. It seems to me nothing really improved besides the resolution. Actually there are so much could be done with minor efforts. What if they just improved the character models and shadow effects like those in NOX, which was published in 2000? What a shame.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    Quick, someone give a Promote to the panda!
    @Troodon80 thanks for the full explanation :) you're awesome sir!! Plus there are around 700 more monsters that have all those animations numbers, plus the Spell-casting animations for all those classes ;)
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    Whoah! Hmmm... approximately, how many artists it took to animate all the sprites? Considering the amount of work, pixel by pixel, and all the creative work before doing it on computer - how long did it take from the makers of the original game? I can only suppose that they did base some of their know-how on the legendary Golden Box AD&D games of SSI...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Troodon80 said:

To cut a long-winded and very boring story short: they decided that it wasn't feasible.

Throw in the fact that high end graphics was never the point of the game, nor is it the reason why the vast majority of players play the game in the first place.

• ljwljw21ljwljw21 Member Posts: 22

Troodon80 said:

To cut a long-winded and very boring story short: they decided that it wasn't feasible.

Throw in the fact that high end graphics was never the point of the game, nor is it the reason why the vast majority of players play the game in the first place.

Hi guys, maybe I have been naive. It is true that most BG plays does't really care about fancy 3D effects. However I still think the character model and a good avatar system is keen to any RPG simply because it brings more sense of role playing. And people like to see their characters gets pettier with awesome gear.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @ljwljw21 - everyone gets something different out of the experience. I for one grew up playing text games where you had pretty much nothing but your imagination. As a result, no video game is ever going to come close, no matter how awesome the graphics. And with a game like BG, there is so very much that 99.99% of the rest of the games out there don't have, it really takes me over the top regardless of the graphics resolution. But that's simply my perspective on the topic. Yours may be very different.

Given the explanation above about the level of complexity associated, I've personally got no qualms about Beamdog/Overhaul taking a pass on that much effort as being "not worth the lift". It is quite simply a cost/benefit analysis. As you say, the majority of players might "Like" better graphics, but aren't going to fault them for not having them provided that other things were improved. They were, so the majority are happy.

If you aren't that's a valid point of view. However, you may not find a huge amount of sympathy towards that line of thinking, particularly if you are souring the entire game based on that factor alone (which would seem to be the case based on the wording of the thread title).

All simply my opinion.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I'm of the opinion that Overhaul should have re-modelled everything working from reference.

I realize that would probably have been beyond their budget though.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited February 2014
    I would have been nice to have the enhancements you mentioned for sure, but it was probably beyond their resources. I wouldn't go as far as remodeling everything, because this kind of graphic style is timeless and awesome in my opinion, but everything in much higher resolution would have been perfect.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited February 2014
    Troodon80 said:

But, unfortunately, there are two points regarding that; first is that it costs money, probably more money than up-scaling the images they have, and second is that new models would look out of place quality and appearance-wise.

There's a third point to consider. Apparently, from what I've been reading, the deals they made with the various parties who hold the rights to these games restricted them from making anything but minor changes to certain parts of the games. I'm not sure what those areas are, but they're legally bound not make many of the drastic changes that some people seem to expect.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014
    ljwljw21 said:

Troodon80 said:

Hi guys, maybe I have been naive. It is true that most BG plays does't really care about fancy 3D effects. However I still think the character model and a good avatar system is keen to any RPG simply because it brings more sense of role playing. And people like to see their characters gets pettier with awesome gear.

True but I kind of feel like this is a game thats selling into a niche market. Improved sprites, etc, would have definitely helped distinguish it from other version of Baldur's Gate out there but its really a question of whether or not the added cost could be justified given the increase in sales they could expect out of it. I'm guessing based on what Troodon80 wrote that it probably wouldn't have made any financial sense.

To also draw upon my utterly terrible computer knowledge the other issue I'm thinking would be about how the change would have impacted their ability to put the game on tablets. Higher resolution sprites means it takes up more hardware space and both of the games are already a pretty big games. At least by tablet standards. Plus the games already had issues when it comes to lag. How would higher resolution sprites impact the availability of RAM for instance? It might not be an issue out in the wilderness areas but in places where there are a lot of commoners (or commoners and the possibility of area of effect spellcasting) it might have been an issue.
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    It would have been nice if they could have updated the graphics look, but for me it is no big issue that they weren't able to do it (regardless of the reasons behind it). IMHO Baldur's Gate is still the most realistic looking game I have played. 3D techniques (even the high end graphics of today) still make me look and think yeah it looks uber realistic, but I still now and can see (to a certain degree) that this is computer generated. In Baldurs Gate I get the perfect graphics. The game's view is just far enough from the characters for me in order to not try and see if everything looks realistic enough in 3d, all the while the game shows everything in the same amount of detail and graphical looks so nothing looks more realistic then the other.
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    I completely agree with the OP.

No doubt, delivering the promise (since December 2013) on giving us a new patch soon, I have not yet picked up any announcement that the "latest" patches for the BG:EE and BG2:EE will be arriving or not?

Not just that, but even the Mods (for BG2:EE) are not yet updated to meet with the enhanced game since December 2013

I'm disappointed and tired of awaiting for the staff speeding up with the fixes, plus there are issues that the last patches introduced other bugs, which then need to be rectified, and still pending.

Any reasons for the delays or excuses, as such??
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    shrekdj said:

I completely agree with the OP.

No doubt, delivering the promise (since December 2013) on giving us a new patch soon, I have not yet picked up any announcement that the "latest" patches for the BG:EE and BG2:EE will be arriving or not?

Not just that, but even the Mods (for BG2:EE) are not yet updated to meet with the enhanced game since December 2013

I'm disappointed and tired of awaiting for the staff speeding up with the fixes, plus there are issues that the last patches introduced other bugs, which then need to be rectified, and still pending.

Any reasons for the delays or excuses, as such??

Patches are in the making. Everybody knows that. Even then, the games are totally playable in their current form, from start to finish so it's at best a few minor annoyances.

The only *big bad bug* is in the iPad version of game (Might have been patched by now, don't have the game on iPad)

Mods are made and sustained by modders. Can't blame BG:EE for that.