Skip to content

The "Cut" content in BG2

JordOfTheDeepJordOfTheDeep Member Posts: 9
Hello there, I have only just recently had the pleasure of receiving the news that there will be an enhanced BG and BG 2 edition and I was wondering whether there are any plans to restore some of the material that was cut in Baldur's Gate 2 (Such as romancing Valygar and Haer Dalis and being able to keep Yoshimo etc.)

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    As far as I know, none of those things were ever in the game (ie: Yoshimo always dies) so they don't fall under the purview of "cut content".

Check out the BG2 "Unfinished Business" mod, they did a rather good job of restoring and fixing many components that actually were removed from the game. Whether or not the Enhanced Edition will incorporate this, however, is anyone's guess...
  • JordOfTheDeepJordOfTheDeep Member Posts: 9
    Yoshimo has a Hell dialogue at the climax of BG 2 (if you cheat and teleport to the area) and the files full of the original text for the Haer Dalis and Valygar romance can be found in the files. And thanks! I have yet to play through the Unfinished Business for BG2 so I guess now's the time to download.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    They won't be able to incorporate it as it will modify the original material (some of the components anyway). With some finesse I bet they could add in the Haer'dalis and Valygar romances (which would be a huge win).
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @JordOfTheDeep
    The finished Haer'Dalis romance mod
    http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/haerdalisromance

The Unfinished Yoshimo mod:
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/yoshi/#

There's talk of a Valygar romance mod here and there but I haven't been able to locate it. Seems to have been cancelled.
    Here is a list of content UB did not restore:
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=6c6466ee2bcf7b5176a1527b225ea4bd&topic=26544.0

It's probably incomplete.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=6c6466ee2bcf7b5176a1527b225ea4bd&topic=26544.0

Mind you, as that very link states, some of that content may have been cut simply because it wasn't very good. :)
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Keeping Yoshimo would be my biggest request for BG2 but there are contract restrictions:(
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Hello there, I have only just recently had the pleasure of receiving the news that there will be an enhanced BG and BG 2 edition and I was wondering whether there are any plans to restore some of the material that was cut in Baldur's Gate 2 (Such as romancing Valygar and Haer Dalis and being able to keep Yoshimo etc.)
    Welcome to the forum. None of those are possible. Good day. :P

Nah, just kidding. Well, to be fair, none of those are possible (sadly). Beamdog has an incredibly tough job in that their hands seem to be tied with what they can and can't do and big alterations to the original content is definitely one of them. Though personally those ideas sound great to me (especially Yoshimo, I would love to see him back some day).
    shawne said:

Mind you, as that very link states, some of that content may have been cut simply because it wasn't very good. :)
    I made no commentary on the cut content :D

Some of it looks like crap. Some of it I'd like to see.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I would KILL to see a conclusion to the Skin Dancer/Twisted Rune thing. That was always the biggest mystery of the game for me and I love the skinner investigations.
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    Wasn't there something cut in BGI also, something having to do with the Black Lotus flower you find near the entrance to one of the mines?
    Unfinished Business BG1 restores that I *believe*.
  • JordOfTheDeepJordOfTheDeep Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2012
    @Drugar thanks, I've been waiting for quite a while for that Yoshimo mod to come out because he is probably my favorite NPC in Baldur's Gate 2, I just find him and his tragic story so damned interesting. Oh and if you have the time I'd advise anybody to download and play the Yoshimo romance mod as it is probably the most well written and emotional mod I have had the pleasure of playing through thus far.
  • ValmontValmont Member Posts: 10
    I just found out about this project, but the Unfinished Business mods for BG1 and BG2 were my favorite "extra content" addons by a mile. I REALLY hope they put them in :)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I hear the Haer'Dalis Romance is actually very well written. I'm just hoping the ToB portion comes out soon
    Xavioria said:

I hear the Haer'Dalis Romance is actually very well written. I'm just hoping the ToB portion comes out soon

Hear'Dalis is another character I'm always happy to see more of.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    I would like to see a Yoshimo Nalia romance involving him helping her grow up and their mutual heartbreak. That woul be formative for the darker Nalia in BGToB.
  • SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 6
    What I'd like to know is if there is a possibility to add something to the areas between the return from the Underdark and Suldanessellar. Compared to the rest of the game those areas always seemed very empty. As if something more was planned but they ran out of time.

If they can add whole new content to BG1, it may be possible to simply recreate that.

I would like to see a Yoshimo Nalia romance involving him helping her grow up and their mutual heartbreak. That woul be formative for the darker Nalia in BGToB.

I think this is quite a good idea. You could have a friendship path with Nalia in ToB which centers on you either helping Nalia deal what happened in BG2 and keep her from getting too dark or toughening her up.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130

The inclusion of a proper Viconia quest during the Underdark where she can potentially betray you sounds like it would do alot for developing her character. She spends most of her dialogue complaining about surface life, and now she's gotten her chance to go through with it and return to her old life. Hells, it would be even better if the romance makes it play out differently!! I always wondered why she had nothing to say when you see members of her former house imprisoned in that tavern :S
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Technically, putting this in isn't 'altering old content' is it? Since it was meant to be there, I want to see Aerie turn into a bird, Viconia into a werewolf and everything else missing.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    I hope that they would add any "unfinished" story lines/business as side quests in a DLC.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    @JordOfTheDeep, welcome to the forums.

I would guess that the devs have looked into unlocking unimplemented content in the enhanced game? Perhaps it is literally "unfinished", i.e., requires more writing, and thus they are legally forbidden from doing anything with it.

Curse the legal restrictions placed by the licensors! Isn't it just like "suits" to squelch creativity by being overcautious for no particular reason? What are they afraid of? I don't see how they stand to lose anything monetarily by allowing the Beamdog team to do anything they want. It must have something to do with issues of greed and/or creative control of the product, i.e. they woke up and agreed that there was money to be made with this project idea, and then they decided to apply their own clueless management just to maximize their misguided ideas of potential profit for themselves and their managerial relevance, a la the "pointy haired boss" from the Dilbert comics.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In my view the "cut" nature of content that didn't make the game usually gets overstated. A lot of it is content that was never intended to make the game, perhaps due to it being low quality, or interfering with existing ideas for content.

I doubt that there is much content which the lead designer planned which wasn't included in the final release. Except ToB, but that's mainly cos it sucked :p

I would guess that the devs have looked into unlocking unimplemented content in the enhanced game? Perhaps it is literally "unfinished", i.e., requires more writing, and thus they are legally forbidden from doing anything with it.

Based on established precedent, this is unlikely: there is similar unfinished material in the first game that has not been restored for contractual reasons.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Xavioria said:

It is, as I've come to expect from Aeryn. I finished my latest SoA game today, with the Haer'Dalis romance mod. It's a lot of fun, and has a lot of content. I haz a sad that I have to wait for the ToB part.