Skip to content

The Tales of Sima Jin - Black Pits 'Blind' Let's Play

2»

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @FinneousPJ‌
    Oh? Which video/parts or just in general?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Pretty much in every video. In the latest video, very beginning, I wouldn't have known what you said if it didn't read protection from evil in the log.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Actually, I think he (or she?- sorry, I don't know) is right. Going back and forth between your ToB videos and these ones, I think the ToB ones are a bit clearer. You always sound very low to me- I have to turn up my sound pretty far to make out what you're saying, but I can do it- but you do sound a bit more muffled.
    @FinneousPJ and @Twani‌

I just randomly compared these two videos, and the volume is about the same.

I'd appreciate it if you/somebody can let me know if there is a big difference for you, as it then might be hint at a systemic problem that is not being picked up on my own machine.

I changed my recording setup a little bit between ToB and BP 1... @Troodon80‌ noticed fairly obvious distortions in my audio, and we figured out that it was because I had set my microphone boost to max (+30 db), which results in quite a lot of white noise. When I remove that white noise, it distorts the rest of the recording as well, such that the odd word is not very clear.

So I reduced the microphone boost to +20 db, which very significantly reduced white noise, and so I feel that the recording is more faithful now after I process it (it sounds more like me and less 'auto-tuned'). However it is also a bit quieter, so I use Windows Movie Maker to increase the commentary recording volume independent of the game audio recording (Despite tuning down the game audio compared to default settings, I noticed that it is still significantly louder for BG:EE compared to BG 2 Vanilla, which is probably part of the problem).

It might also just be the case that I am not speaking very clearly sometimes... when I am thinking, I tend to grumble... very bad habit for a Let's Player, very hard to rectify. :D

Other than trying to speak louder and clearer more consistently, I can reduce the game audio further... I hesitate to put mic boost to max again.

Of course, I'm also open to other suggestions, and thanks for pointing it out in the first place. :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds like you need a better microphone and/or a preprocessor/amplifier type of thing to boost your signal.
    Part 18 - Tier 2 Replays (Battles 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10)
    Tier 2 Replays:
    Battle 6: Bugged
    Battle 7: Unfriendly Neighbourhood Spiderman
    Battle 8: Thicket of Thieves
    Battle 9: Gift of the Ogre Mage
    Battle 10: Red Shirt Wizards

Part 19 - Tier 3 Other Prisoners

As Lilly and company continue to accumulate victories and rewards, they earn a degree of freedom... Namely the freedom to wander around the prison complex that held them in Baeloth's Black Pits, no longer confined strictly to their cells in between battles.

Although they could not discover any means of escape, this greater autonomy gave the group more opportunities to communicate with the Duergar merchants servicing the Black Pits, as well as Baeloth's other gladiators and prisoners, including a Beholder...

Yes, it is incredible, and rather embarrassing... but it never occurred to me to walk around before. I had always just assumed that everything that mattered was in the merchant chamber leading to the arena, and never actually investigated the cells...

CrevsDaakDelvarianJuliusBorisov
    Part 20 - Tier 3, Battle 12
    Tier 3
    Battle 12: A History of Violent Beatings

With the rather vague warning from the Beholder that the company will need enchanted weapons for the challenge to come, they step into the arena to face whatever Baeloth has in store them...

It's Clay Golems! Five Clay Golems! And a colossal Shambling Mound! The Beholder was right about the enchanted part... but he missed out a key word... "blunt".

Part 21 - Tier 3, Battle 13
    Tier 3
    Battle 13: Ice to See You.

The Beholder warns Lilly and the group about the danger of cold... Although not entirely trusting of his advice after his rather critical omission regarding the Clay Golems, the company buy a few appropriate potions in preparation of the next battle.

Waiting in a unnaturally cold ring, as the Beholder hinted at, were a group of vicious Ice Salamanders, led by cleric...

Part 22 - Tier 3, Battle 14
    Tier 3
    Battle 14: Catching Fire

Perhaps rather predictably, the Beholder next warns the group to beware of fire, and so Lilly purchases appropriate fire resistance potions in preparation for Baeloth's next challenge.

In the arena they find a mighty Fire Giant, another rather omission by the Beholder, as well as a group of fiery Fire Elementals...

CrevsDaak
    Part 23 - Tier 3, Final Preparations

Having defeated Baeloth's challenges one by one, and outlasted all previous champions of the Black Pits. Lilly, Jin and company continue to build influence and support amongst the Duergar and Baeloth's other slaves, whilst also preparing themselves as best as possible for the inevitable clash with the Drow sorcerer himself.

Part 24 - Tier 3, Battle 15

With the dawning realisation that he was losing control of his own Black Pits and Lilly and company continued to whip up dissent and resentment against him, Baeloth reveals that he himself will step into arena to face the courageous heroes.

No doubt Baeloth aims to wipe out the latest champions of his arena to extinguish whatever hope his slaves had for survival...

CrevsDaak
  • SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
    in the middle of watching your play through, well done! Sound is a little better around the 6th video.

How did you multi-class with specialized kits - Shadowkeeper? Would love to be able to do that also.
    @SirBaldur‌

I am glad you are enjoying it. :)

My illegal multi-classes were possible thanks to mods kindly created by @CrevsDaak‌. They go beyond just creating kit multi-classes, but also includes bonus skills that'd be very op if I used characters with min/max'd stats.

For example one of the characters was developed in this thread...
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/458174/#Comment_458174
    CrevsDaak
  • SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
    oh cool, didn't notice all those innate abilities. It's a lot of work setting up special chars.

I once adjusted all the NPCs in orig pc version of BG1. I think imoen was an assassin, garrick a skald, jaheira totemic druid+fighter. That in itself took a long time, and that was starting with their base chars.