Skip to content

Seems a lot harder to find good male portraits...

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Would help to know what race and class you're looking for. There are also various topics in Fan Creations for portraits in general.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Can't help other than to say I feel your pain... There is a good thread in the off-topic, fan creations room I believe, if that helps...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I just use the pic I use for my profile. I scarped it off of an old "Hobbit" web site and then adjusted it appropriately. It's a little grainy, but it suits.

There are several spots (though I can't point to any) that have a large variety including the IWD pics. I want to say gibberlings, though don't quote me.
    thespace said:

Would help to know what race and class you're looking for. There are also various topics in Fan Creations for portraits in general.

I mainly like playing elves/half elves, maybe human. Rangers, ranger/clerics, thieves, swashbucklers are favorite classes of mine. A good portrait can inspire a character's direction, I've found.

With those races, you'll probably get lucky on a bigger archive. Like stated above, for hallings and gnomes, it's more difficult.

Mostly hit and miss, but I assume you already checked the dropbox, so here are alternatives:

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/baldursgate2/portraits.shtml
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_portraits.php
    http://portraitcity.blackwyrmlair.net/
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @thespace, did you name the portrait files appropriately? They have to have less than seven characters in the name, no special characters, and the last letter has to be an "M", (for BG:EE), or an L or S (for original BG), or the program won't recognize them as portrait files.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @thespace

You also need to restart the game, if you haven't done that.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

and the last letter has to be an "M", (for BG:EE), or an L or S (for original BG), or the program won't recognize them as portrait files.

? I've been using nothing but "L" portraits since the 1.2 update and never ran into any problems with either EE game. Both programs display and resize my large portraits just fine.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Deviant Art has lots of great portraits. Check out the galleries of SirTiefling or Enkida for example :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I don't even need to use a filename with 'm' or 'l' at the end with bg2:ee. I just convert Isandir's portraits to bmp, and name them like 'PAL' (for a a paladin looking guy) 'BER' (for a berserker looking guy) or 'PRI' (for a priest looking guy) and the game recognises and resizes them to correct proportions. On Ipad, no less!

Here is my party fighting against a cadre of vampires. From top to down: Cavalier, Cleric/mage, Shadowdancer, Archer, Monk, Thief/mage.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    lunar said:

I just convert Isandir's portraits to bmp, and name them like 'PAL' (for a a paladin looking guy) 'BER' (for a berserker looking guy) or 'PRI' (for a priest looking guy) and the game recognises and resizes them to correct proportions. On Ipad, no less!

@lunar
    That's because Isandir's portraits were created specifically for these games, so the proportions are correct already, and the game only need to adjust the size appropriately.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Just be careful. Remember when converting to bmp, BG1/2 can't handle the highest level of detail in a bmp file, if say, you're using photoshop to do the converting and have options on it. You have to take it down to I think 32 lvl detail, not the 40 one. Man, it took me forever to figure that one out. Someone on the gibberling 3 forums had to spell it out for me. ;;
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Artasprophe's portrait pack solved all my portrait desires.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    What @ReadingRambo‌ said. Check out her stuff on Deviantart. She's awesome and so are her portraits. Sadly, as far I know, she doesn't do commisions anymore... but you can still download her portrait package(s).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited February 2014
    Have a look at LadyRhian's Too Many Portaits Thread in the fan creations section. Does exactly what is says on the tin.

They're unsorted and uncategorised but if you spend ten to fifteen minutes scrolling through then you'll find any race/class/alignment/armour combo you can think of. There are a lot of pages of pics there.

*Edit* you'll need to crop and resize them yourself, but that's not hard.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It's a shame that whenever I see the thread title, it cues in my head the line "So hard to find decent folk nowadays."
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    edited March 2014
    @thespace‌: Most of my portraits already have bitmap versions that I make available on the website, though I'm sometimes behind in the most recent ones. (It's usually in the top description on each portrait's page.) The large, medium and small versions are all included in the compressed file. I typically recommend against relying on BG:EE's automatic sizing, as it creates pixelation in the small portrait that shows up in the game. The bitmap versions are also often cleaner than the .png files, as I occasionally go back to fix small details without updating the website image.

If you are looking for a particular portrait--race/class/look, etc.--I can also make one based on your request. I've had less time to make them lately, but I tend to be more willing to take on projects when someone has something very specific in mind.

Finally, you may want to check the custom portraits thread, the one that preceded it and the artist links (see the first post). You'll find a huge number of images from multiple artists.
    Some might be commissions that are only on the page for display.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    edited March 2014
    Drystan was one of a pair that I created for a mod; I typically don't add the downloads for those ones. Feel free to use it, but be forewarned that if you do use NPC mods and eventually add that one, you may eventually run into yourself.

Elvaniel I must have just missed, so I'll add the bitmaps today or tomorrow.
    Post edited by Isandir on
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    there is little in the realms as rare as a good Halfling portrait
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2014
    @‌lunar what patch are you playing with? that screenshot looks whack
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2014

@‌lunar what patch are you playing with? that screenshot looks whack

@EnterHaerDalis‌ 1.2 Ipad version. Have some mods for bigger fonts and Shadows of Amn logo for pause button, among other things. I guess that's what you meant as whack? Male Portraits from the skilled artist @Isandir all are of exceptional quality and merge well with the bg2, that was what I wanted to show off. ^^