Skip to content

The Adventures of Innes: Part One Finished. Part Two coming soon!

Comments

• StinkyStinky Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2014
    -- Innes Journal 2 --

Nashkel has been a welcome reprieve for me from the chaos of our travels, gifting unto me my first moments of relaxation in some weeks now. I am sleeping better than I was but I dream violently every night. They are so vivid in the moment but they go as quickly as they came. I have been getting recurring flashes of them during our travels – brief recollections of terrible images that shroud me in a fog of despair for hours at a time – but logically thinking I can't make any sense of them.

Last week Matthew suffered a grievous wound at the hands of a huge Gnoll as we stormed their stronghold. As I stood there struck dumb by my good friend and mentor's rent flesh the wound miraculously closed before my eyes and the others seemed to think that it was *I* who had been the cause. I have no idea why they attribute that to me – it seemed to me as though Eric or possibly Matthew himself had closed the wound. Usually they are quick to jump to our aid in such dire circumstance. Thinking back I really don't remember.

Sweet Eric is really finding his feet. His contributions to the group's actions are ever increasing much to his own surprise. He should hold himself with more pride than he does.

I have convinced the group (albeit with some difficulty) to assist me in finding the cause of this iron crisis that plagues the fair people of Nashkel and indeed the rest of the sword coast. I recognised quickly that I would have to appeal to their sense of guilt more so than their sense of justice - which is a shame because a little justice is exactly what these kindly people deserve by my reckoning.

As we were leaving, Dyrellei claimed reward for a previous service she had conducted for the village under the pseudonym Greywolf. Upon presentation of a hefty purse of coin her smile almost ballooned off her face and floated away into the sky. It is good to be in the presence of such an honest smile after these hard times. It lifts the spirits. I think I will endeavor to see the smiles of my companions more often.

We are to meet on the border of Nashkel and travel to the mines via a stop at the Carnival for Belben, who seems quite enamored with the prospect of some light entertainment. I got here early to write this entry – it is difficult to find time in which I can have some privacy now. Even at inns we often have to share rooms. Matthew is a good companion and role model in many ways but when stuck in the same room for up to eight hours his piety can really become quite grating.

I am looking forward to embarking on our task. If we do this thing we could really make a difference to these people's lives. They have been good to me. They deserve this.

Spirits are high.

Hah... our motley crew could be heroes!

Post edited by Stinky on
    Tetraploid
  • Matteo273Matteo273 Member Posts: 13
    -Matthew's correspondence to his paladin order-

Dear Lord Firecam,

My apologies for not responding earlier, my travels of late have taken a very dangerous turn. My efforts in this investigation have been slowed to say the least. The roads have become increasingly perilous. The movement of bandits in the region has escalated at an alarming rate, so much so that I have been unable to travel alone. As you have asked for full disclosure on my mission thus far and on those I travel with now, I will spare no detail.

Candlekeep for all of it's magnificent knowledge proved fruitless in our search. It seems that while having an immense collection of history and lore, the issues of today are a matter for the world outside it's strong walls. However I was able to join with a young elf named Innes and a group departing Candlekeep, traveling alone in these lands has become a death wish. The very night we set out our group was ambushed and overrun! If it were not for the sacrifice of the mage guardian of Innes, Gorion, I would not be here to write this. I pray he has found peace in the afterlife.

When the sun rose the next day, those of us who survived the attack regrouped. Eric a halfling cleric who seems plagued by self-doubt, but stands strong when duty calls. He seems tormented by some past experiences with his faith but there is much good in him, and his healing prowess has kept us alive on more than one occasion. He would make a fine addition to our order.

Thorain a half-elf ranger, always eager to leave populated areas for the forests. An outsider, proficient with his flails and quick to anger, a combination that would have severe consequences down the road.

Belben Graveltoe a gnome magic-user. While he may sometimes come off as aloof and perhaps not completely sane with his far-fetched claims of his "amazing powers" or how the others and myself are but mere "minions" to him. One look at the gnome in battle and I realized that perhaps those far-fetched claims are not so far. I can not begin to understand what goes on in his aged mind, but I feel his heart is in the right place. His antics have brought levity to our long roads and I have grown fond of him.

Dyrellei a lithe elf, as beautiful as she is deadly. Quick with her blades and her tongue, and perhaps just as sharp. Always looking to turn a profit. I would not exactly call her an upright individual, and I fear there have been a few minor transgressions on her part but still despite some of her views and actions, I sense good in her and her abilities and insight have proven invaluable to our group.

Innes an elf remarkably skilled with a crossbow. The young elf who lost his foster father on the first night he left his home. Thrust into a world filled with danger too soon. He has proven to be a loyal companion and my closest ally on this journey. A kindred spirit, I see much of my former self in him although I am not much older than he. There is clear potential in him for good and yet I fear there is an aura of darkness that surrounds him, as if death follows where he goes. I will pray on this.

After we regrouped, we decided to help Innes reach the Friendly Arm Inn, a veritable fortress where he was to meet some of Gorion's former acquaintances. It was on the steps leading up to the inn that the first assassination attempt on Innes since the ambush occurred. A human mage dressed in black asked his identity, threatened his life and began to cast. We managed to cut him down quickly thankfully. There was a bounty notice on the body that I quickly collected and hid from the others, only showing Innes. At the time I didn't know who could be trusted. We went inside and met the two Gorion had spoke of, Khalid and Jaheira. They were also interested in the iron shortage of the region and offered to aid us. Innes with the realization that there was a price on his head, didn't allow them to join with us for fear of their safety.

With some not having a better path worth walking, some interested in acquiring riches, and some of us looking for answers we all headed south. A few skirmishes and evidence of banditry was rampant down the coast, we encountered slain individuals, caravans, and families. When we reached the town of Beregost tensions were high. As soon as we arrived, we intervened in thwarting Thayan wizards who were harassing a young mage, as well as defeating an evil sage called Silke who tried to manipulate us into attacking innocent men. Afterwards and needing rest, we made our way to the Red Sheaf Inn. Upon entering we were attacked by another assassin, this time a barrel-chested dwarf warrior. We managed to defeat yet another attempt, however this time the bounty on the elf's head could not remain hidden.

A lot of arguing ensued, the most vicious words exchanged between Dyrellei and Thorain. On the southern outskirts of town it got out of control. Dyrellei and Thorain's verbal sparring had reached its climax and they pulled weapons on each other. It all happened so quickly, Dyrellei was severely wounded and we were forced to intervene. I cut Thorain down myself before he could deliver a killing blow.. My fear is that I killed a half-elf who was misunderstood and not truly evil. Torm guide my hand, I pray that she proves worthy of this act.

Beregost was a violent place for us and we were eager to depart south. When we arrived in Nashkel, I saw a contingent of Amnish soldiers, giving credence to the rumors of potential war brewing between the Gate and Amn. We made our way into the local inn, weary from our travels. A woman cleric of evil faith was there waiting for Innes to arrive. After a lengthy fight we proved victorious, and we recovered another bounty notice. This makes the third assassination attempt not including the ambush on the night of our departure, in three different locations, all with increased bounties placed upon Innes.

Shortly thereafter I received your orders about the Dynaheir abduction, thanks to the leadership of Innes my companions agreed to accompany me on this task. The journey there was swift but the stronghold was not easily won, and I doubt I could have returned her safely to Nashkel without the aid of my companions. I was wounded by a Gnoll Chieftain during this endeavor and Innes somehow helped heal me with powers unbeknown to me. There is something special about this elf, I am certain.

I had to part ways with my companions shortly to return to Beregost and send word about the rescue's success. When I returned to Nashkel I caught up to my companions in the temple to see Belben dead on the floor, the priest of the temple hard at work reviving his spirit (There was a horrific accident at a carnival east of town) and Innes convulsing on the ground reiterating the same group of words over and over. "Chaos will be sewn in their footsteps". There was also a pale skinned elf with the group who travels with us now. I don't know much about him other than his name Malitias, and apparently he was a slave at one time. One day away and all this occurs! Innes awoke not long after it began with no recollection of what happened, Eric left the temple shaken by the events and he believes that what's happening to Innes has something to do with the Gods. I can't say I disagree with the halfling's assumption, but neither can I prove it.

Tomorrow we make our way into the Nashkel mines, hopefully I will be able to report on my findings soon. I realize our forces are spread thin, but please send word out and seek information about my friend Innes and how there could be a bounty on this innocent's head. May Torm the Loyal Fury watch over us..

Yours sincerely,
    Matthew Squire of Torm

MuttleyStinky
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Hi folks! Hope you're all keen for tonight's session.

There's a strong chance I will be running late tonight. I often attend evening seminars on Wednesdays but this week's one is being filmed so it might be harder than normal to sneak out early if it runs overtime! I will try to get a message on this thread or on Skype if so, but hopefully I won't be any later than 8.30pm. If you do decide to start without me, you've got my permission to keep Dy in the party as a trap-finder for the next area, but I'd rather not miss any of the fun!

See you soon!
    The Adventures of Innes, Bhaalspawn

------------Part Five------------

The mines led the party ever further downwards, until the paths were lit not by torchs but by the soft red glow of lava. Beset by kobolds, kobolds and more kobolds, not to mention the traps they had laid, the group persevered, eager to be done with this infested place. As if the yipping creatures were not threat enough, they also encountered ghouls and giant spiders, to Malitias' particular distaste. Speculation abound over what would await them in the tunnels' depths, with some even claiming it could be a dragon as the miners had feared! The truth, as is often the case, was both less dramatic and less simple.

A half-orc, apparently having tricked the kobolds into doing his bidding, was running an operation to taint the iron source. The mad Cyricist found no mercy at the end of Matthew's blade, and his minions soon fell alongside him. This solution to the mine's problems was only a piece of a larger puzzle, however, for his documents revealed that he worked for someone else by the name of Tazok.

Taking items of notable value or use - a new sword for Dyrellei and an enchanted cleric's ring for Eric, despite his insistence that he couldn't make use of such a thing - the group quickly hurried towards sunlight, eager to be free. Finally climbing out into open wilderness, they initially had no idea where they were...yet someone had known where they would be, all the same. A band of female warriors, claiming to work for something called the Iron Throne, attacked the group as soon as they heard Innes' name. Taken by surprise at yet another attack in so remote a place, the group fought back as best they could, but Matthew fell in the battle and was beyond both Innes' budding healing powers and Eric's absent magic to save.

Navigating by sun and stars, the five remaining members managed to carry the Paladin's body back to Nashkel's temple in order to revive him. The trip was, thankfully, less dramatic than the previous one, but Matthew awoke speaking of strange dreams. As he regained consciousness he described a sea of blood, and that Innes had been there...to which the young elf remarked he'd had a similar dream himself. Puzzled by this but agreeing to speak more later, the group headed for a well deserved rest at the inn, after collecting a generous reward for their efforts from the Mayor.

Once again, Nashkel Inn presented them with a battle at its doorway, this time a man proclaiming himself to be 'Nimbul'. He proved a minor threat compared to the previous attempt, but the letter on his body was far more interesting. This time, the order for Innes' death was signed, and it was a name they had seen before only recently: Tazok. Why the same name would be behind both the tainting of the iron and the hunt for Innes could not be determined, and Innes could offer no clue. Only one course seemed to suggest any answers: Tranzig, a man mentioned to be staying in Beregost, might know something about this Tazok and what he wanted. A return journey agreed upon, the group settled first for a rest.

While Matthew and Innes spoke more intently about the nature of their dreams - similar, yet different in certain ways - Dyrellei introduced Malitias to one of the joys of the human culture: ale. Half a flagon later, as he gripped the edge of the bar for support, it seemed he might speak of his previous life, but if Dy had been attempting to coax a story out of him she was interrupted when the others joined their drinking. Besides, Malitias was already too drunk to focus on meaningful questions by this point. Innes was quick to join his intoxicated state, and for perhaps the first time in the journey so far, some of the tension was relieved if only for an hour or so. Dawn will bring fresh peril, no doubt, but a chance to celebrate what had been achieved so far was likely appreciated by all.

------------------------

Dyrellei - Letters Home

"Dear Da,

Do you know an elf named Xan? He may be returning to Evereska soon. If you know him, or meet him, perhaps he will tell you of how my friends and I rescued him from a mad half-orc and his kobold tribe! That's the second person we've rescued from probably death recently.

Things continue to be eventful here. I don't really know what to say, for now. There's a story here, I can feel it, an adventure more than just meanderings and wilderness encounters, but I don't know enough to tell it yet. Did I tell you about Innes, the elf I met in Candlekeep? He's involved in something big. I don't know what, and neither does he, I think. There's another elf too, joined us more recently, and he's...a bit strange. Says he was a slave, and I'm not sure he knows how to be a free man. He says odd things sometimes. So do all of them, mind you. The cleric isn't really a cleric, or at least not the kind that can perform holy magic, the gnome is clearly insane, and the paladin is...well, alright really, for a paladin. That's strange in itself. He's a bit keen on smiting evil and all of that, but I suppose he wouldn't be a paladin if he wasn't.

I'm enjoying having company on my travels again, to tell you the truth. After how the last group turned out I'm not about to let my guard down completely...but last time one of them attacked me the others came to my defence, not his, so that's definitely a reassuring point.

I don't think I'll be coming home for a while. There's too much going on here to simply walk away! Perhaps I'll try to make a trip to Evereska next year. Who knows, maybe some of my new companions would like to come with me. Innes was raised by humans, and I don't know how long Malitias has ever spent among his own kind.

Anyway, we'll be on the move again soon so that's all from me today.

- Dy"
    Stinky

------------Part Six-------------

Nashkel's bright dawn was not exactly welcomed by all members of the group as they awoke from their evening's merriment. While Matthew attempted to rouse Innes, who seemed the worst affected by the 'poison' of the night before, Dyrellei slipped out to return an engraved ring to a grieving widow. On her return, she helped the Paladin rouse the young elf, and together with Eric (who had missed the entertainment), Belben and an equally regretful Malitias, the group set off for Beregost as they had agreed. As they walked, conversation inevitably turned back to the recent events and how they could possibly all be interlinked. Matthew pointed out that one kind of person in particular stood to gain from corrupting an iron supply: someone with their own source of iron to sell. While his reasoning made sense, the scale of what was going on, and the assassinations...it all seemed too sinister to be simply a means of increasing profit.

No sooner had the group arrived in Beregost than they were accosted by people seeking them out, but this time they did not, at least, have to draw their weapons. A strange old man they had met on the road once before identified himself as Elminster and a friend of the late Gorion, to the group's surprise, but did not stay to reveal much more. He did sugest, however, that the answers they sought might lie with the bandits to the north-east. There was barely time to digest this potentially valuable information, however, before a second person demanded their attention. This time, it was almost the complete opposite: a young girl who said she'd been asked to send them to speak to an officer in a nearby inn. While this sounded suspicious, Matthew agreed to investigate, and it turned out to be nothing more than a plea for help hunting down the local bandits. While collecting their scalps sounded a grisly task, there seemed little point in refusing a reward for the bandits they would no doubt be seeking soon enough.

Despite the apparent safety Beregost had offered so far, things were about to take a turn for the worse.

First of the battles that faced them was an infestation of giant spiders in a local home. Though horrifying, the beasts were no match for the six of them, and it was recalled that a gnome had mentioned a reward for the cleansing of her home. Some personal items were taken to return to her, along with a body of a spider as proof, to Malitias' dislike.

The Feldpost Inn proved a second danger, and not due to the enemy they sought. A local man, Marl, drunk and grieving the loss of his son, took a dislike to Innes. Unable to talk him down peacefully, the two soon came to blows. Defenceless against his armed combatants, the unfortunate peasant fell all too easily, and Innes was reprimanded for letting it end in such a way. A heated debate soon sprang up, and it became rapidly clear that although these people fought and killed alongside each other, they had very different ideas over what was morally acceptable in their violence-filled paths through life. The situation became more complex still when Matthew, quick to criticise the peasant's death, stuck Tranzig down mercilessly without giving the mage even a chance to yield, had he been inclined to. Dyrellei objected to both deaths, Malitias to neither, while Matthew held that Tranzig's death was justified but Marl's was not, leaving Innes in a somewhat confused state.

No clear solution was agreed upon, and once again Dyrellei slipped off to return some lost trinket to its owner. By the time the group had visited the smithy and gathered together, the argument had more or less subsided, though one could not really say the air had been cleared. Nonetheless, there was no time to stand and debate morality: Tranzig's documents had confirmed the location of the bandit camp, and their destination was clear.

Stopping briefly at the Friendly Arm Inn as they headed north, Innes noted that Khalid and Jaheira, once so quick to offer their assistance, had moved on. Meanwhile, a reward was collected for the slaughtering of spiders. With a brief night's sleep but no time or inclination for merriment, the group promptly carried on towards the forest known as Peldvale.

Throughout the forest, as they carefully approached the bandit camp, bandits accosted them from within the trees, but these small roving groups were easy prey compared to what awaited them. The bandits' camp was a mass of tents large and small, prowled not only by the Black Talons they had encountered before but also by hobgoblins and even a large group of gnolls. One tent in particular stood out as being the most likely place to finally confront this 'Tazok' person, and, having cleaned the camp of everything valuable, the group prepared to face the next link in this sinister chain.

----------------------------

(I'm going to cover the actual battle etc in the next update I think once we've had a chance to talk about it in game. See you all on Sunday!)
    Stinky
    edited February 2014
    Hi everyone. Our next session will be ***Sunday 23rd February at 9pm GMT***! Please try to either be there on time or let us know if you can't make it since we had to cancel today's session due to lack of people :(
    Muttley

-----------Part Seven-----------

Weapons ready, the group entered the large tent and were almost immediately set upon by the men inside. Without Belben's magical assistance, the fight was a challenge, but eventually they triumphed over their aggressors. However, in the absence of any kind of introduction, there was no way to know if any of the bodies was that of Tazok.

Fortunately, a prisoner by the name of Ender Sai was able to provide the party with useful information in exchange for his accidental rescue. Firstly, that both groups of bandits were in the employ of the Iron Throne, a name they had heard before. Secondly, that Tazok may be hiding in Cloakwood, far to the west. With many questions still unanswered, there was nothing more for the group to do but to head back the way they had come.

Belben's body was retrieved, thankfully having been mostly left alone by the wildlife, and the group returned to the Friendly Arm Inn to resurrect their companion and rest their own wounds. As they entered the inn's walled grounds, however, they were stopped by a familiar face: Elminster, who once again had come to give vague advice and even vaguer warnings. One of his comments prompted a jest from Dyrellei about her intentions to leave the group penniless overnight, but Innes, no doubt under significant strain from the events of the past days, was in no mood for humour, and the conversation soon turned serious. Despite the Elf's assurances that she would never actually do such a thing, he was reluctant to trust her words.

As the party settled in the Inn for the evening (Belben asleep on the floor, apparently preferring magical methods to the comfort of a bed), there was none of the celebratory mood that had followed their success at the Nashkel mines. It seems unlikely that the dark, foreboding trees of Cloakwood will improve the atmosphere, but the dangers therein may at least keep the group focused.

---------------------------------

See you all Sunday, 8pm GMT!
  • MuttleyMuttley Member Posts: 65
    [Apologies for not getting this up sooner]

Dear Mam,

It's been so long since I left Baldur's Gate. I know I had to leave in a hurry to CandleKeep, and things haven't really slowed down at all. So much has happened since I left. As soon as I arrived at the keep, Gorion and his son Innes said we had to leave(for some reason I can't remember). We were attacked the second we left and Gorion was killed in the fray. So whatever it was I was supposed to be learning whilst under his watch, I now have to figure for myself. The Gods still seem to have forsaken me too. Everywhere we turn it seems trouble is following. Not me this time I swear but Innes. I am certain though that the Gods are involved in this somehow. He has been having strange visions and such. And someone, or something wants him dead it seems. I hope the bakery is going well, I miss eating your sticky buns, the best in all the district.

I'll try write soon
    Love Eric
    StinkyGate70

-----------Part Eight------------

The dawn brought confusion and disarray as the group discovered the 'Magnificent' Belben dead, apparently a victim of his own chaotic magic. It seemed a fitting way for him to pass, and the group prepared to move on without him (although not without his magical rings, which someone carefully pocketed). Eager to make a start on the next stage of their meandering journey, Innes went to rouse Malitias from his sleep, but only to find an empty bed. With no clue as to where the elf had gone, the four companions were forced to set off regardless of their reduced numbers.

It seemed like a night's rest in soft beds had done little to improve the mood. Innes seemed to have barely slept at all, and Dyrellei was in a particularly argumentive mood, challenging his decisions doggedly yet refusing to leave and go her own way. Apparently insulted by the elf's lack of trust, she claimed she was determined to prove him wrong.

While Dy's attitude towards fellow party members scarcely improved as they made their way to Cloakwood, a lucky find of an enchanted garment on the body of a Tasloi brightened her day. It would be one of many such creatures to assault them in these ominous woods, alongside several spiders of horrifying proportion - perhaps it was for the best that Malitias had disappeared, given his dislike of such things.

Even what seemed a friendly enough encounter soon turned to violence. Approaching the group for assistance against local druids, a merchant claimed they had killed a friend of his. When the druids arrived, however, they claimed they sought vengeance for the death of one of their own. In the face of inevitable violence once again, Dyrellei jested that one of them must surely have desecrated a shrine to Tymora in order to earn such poor fortune. Her comment prompted an unexpected reaction from Eric, the Halfling Cleric, but before they could talk more on the matter they had to deal first with the druids. The four of them were matched for numbers at first, but massive panthers sprang seemingly from the very shadows, turning the fight into a more difficult one than they had anticipated. Dyrellei only survived the battle with healing from Matthew and Innes, whose strange gift seemed to be growing stronger with time, and her gratitude may even have improved her treatment of the group had Eric not attempted to help as well. Offering a potion which he no doubt believed to be restorative, he inadvertently poisoned the elf, much to her anger.

In need of rest, the group used the hunters' nearby lodge, though once again Innes' sleep seemed troubled. He claimed it was nothing more than dreams, although Matthew called them visions, and Eric remained convinced that this was somehow the work of the Gods. Talk of such things reminded Dyrellei of a previous conversation, and she swiftly angled the discussion to focus on why, exactly, Eric had been so nervous about the prospect of offending a deity. Confronted, he managed to stammer out his story to the Elf's mirth and the Paladin's reassurances. When all had been told and there was nothing left to say for the time being, the group ventured on once more, headed deeper into the maze-like forest.

See you all next week!
    Stinkybhat491
    Welcome aboard. Just a quick note. Game is at 8pm GMT not 9pm
    Roughly how late is 'a bit late'? Just so we have an idea of when to expect you! Rerolling probably makes sense seeing as we'll all be several levels below you :)
    Cool, hope to see you online tonight when you get back!
    Meet us on Skype first, I sent you my Skype name.
    edited May 2014
    -- Innes Journal 3 --

It has been a very very long time since I have written in this journal.

I'm about to walk into a place of peril unlike anything I've yet experienced and I will likely die. I will be remembered publicly as a villain. And that's okay. Maybe I am one.

A lot has happened. I have lost myself. You are the one incorruptible thing that still gives me hope. Your smile... Hopefully this will find it's way to you.

You, at least, will know the truth behind the lies they have told.

I will try to recount all of the relevant events since my last entry to the best of my recollection, though the days since have been many and long.

After the Nashkel Mines (which turned out to be full of semi-organised kobold – usually barely more than a nuisance) we headed back north through Beregost hunting leads on the bandit groups that were plaguing the region. We killed or hurt a lot of folk during this time, most of which deserved it.

Due to the incompetence of our quarry we quickly discovered the location of the bandit camps and killed them all. We found evidence of a second encampment nearby and so with this strong gust of wind in our sails we resolved to continue following the trail into the Cloakwood.

I learnt a lot during this time. They have always had my back in tough times and I will always be there to protect theirs but perhaps “Friend” isn't the right word. Words came easier to me once. My “Friends” taught me much of the world in that damned wood.

Dy taught me to be selfish. That nothing is sacred and anything is possible.

Matthew taught me that there is always a justification for violence. And to enjoy it. Take pride in being good at it. He also taught me that law - even holy law - can be as flexible as soft leather in practical application.

Mal showed me how soft I was and made me hard. I remember it like looking into a dark mirror and seeing my exact opposite.

And Eric... Sweet Eric... Taught me never to give up.

In hindsight I appreciate this for what it is – the truth of things – but at the time I was confused and felt conflicted. I was clinging on to something before we entered that place. Gorion's stories had always made it seem so easy to tell the difference - the line between right and wrong was so clear. Yet so quickly and cleanly was it cut and crumpled into a new abstract that I was left empty. For a short time at least.

In the midst of all this was a tree that bore the best apples I have ever tasted. I wonder if it's still there.

Post edited by Stinky on
    Muttley

-----------Part Nine------------

As the group moved through Cloakwood's winding trails, a familiar voice stopped them and they found themselves reunited with Malitias, who clearly had found tracking them down worrying simple. The previous night's alcohol was to blame for his absence, during which he had apparently got into a fight with a gnoll and no doubt other such mishaps. The group was glad to see him back, however they warned him that they had encountered many spiders in the forest so far, and would certainly encounter more.

Though arachnids of various sorts roamed the forest freely, one cavern in particular was home to a large number of the creatures, including a grotesque woman of some sort who seemed uninterested in speaking with the group. Her pets slain, she soon joined them in their fate, and her web was discovered to hold the body of a young man and a powerful sword. The corpse belonged to the brother of a man they had met nearby, and so was returned, but the sword remained in Matthew's hands.

Continuing, the group was met by a lone man claiming to be a messenger with information from the Iron Throne. Seeing the opportunity for a ruse, the party claimed to be affiliated with the group, hoping to intercept the message, but it turned out they had themselves been tricked! Believing their lie, the druid attacked them, and was rapidly cut down. The Shadow Druids, as they called themselves, seemed numerous in this part of the woods, and it was hoped the others would not discover the cause of their companion's death until much, much later. The next encounter they had with one of the members of this grove was handled more delicately, and the group was asked to deal with a man and his wyverns in a nearby cave. These wyverns were only half-grown, but were a significant threat even so. To Inne's admiration, Matthew dispatched the beasts and their trainer, with help from the others, and the group moved on towards the heart of the Druids' grove.

The Archdruid, making his home in a massive tree, gave the group a hint to their direction, claiming the men they sought resided in a fort to the North-East. While he addressed the group, Dyrellei's quick fingers found some items of use in his home. Perhaps surprisingly, Innes objected more to this than the nearby Paladin, who even encouraged the thievery.

Moving on, the creatures of the forest proved an obstacle, and the group was attacked by an enormous bear, enraged by their unfamiliar scent. In the battle, Eric hit the beast with such fury his weapon snapped clean in two: the problems caused by the tainted iron still plagued the group, it seemed, and it would likely be some time before the matter was fully resolved.

Another cave loomed before the party as they continued North-East, and this one stank of death. Inside, a pair of fully grown wyverns and their brood attacked the group hungrily, and though the beasts may not have been true dragons, there was certainly a sense of achievement when finally their bloodied corpses lay still. Taking a head as a trophy, the group moved on, their morale sustained by their ongoing victories...but the fort that lay ahead of them was likely guarded by far worse than a cluster of bandit tents or a scattering of kobolds. They would certainly need every shred of strength and skill to prevail here.

Dyrellei: Letters Home

"Dear Da,

It has been a while since I last wrote to you. I wasn't really sure what to say. A lot has happened, and there has been little chance to sit and think about it all. There's no chance of finding a courier here in Cloakwood, of course, and it will be longer still before I get this letter sent on to you.

We have defeated an entire camp of bandits, we have slain wyverns, we have fought our way through innumerable foes...one day I will tell you of my adventures in full, I promise! It seems our victories stack up day after day.

My companions are interesting, if frustrating at times. Innes doesn't trust me, though I have done nothing but aid his cause even though he currently seems more hunter than victim. I risk my life in battle daily, and it seems unfair that he and the others watch me so carefully, as if they expect betrayal at any moment. Matthew, the Paladin, is surprisingly relaxed about many of my moral decisions though I can't say I feel the same about some of his. He has such certainty that the men he kills are evil and deserving of death, but how can you know that of someone you have only just met? I cannot forget that, had we met under different circumstances, he would probably have killed me with as little remorse as our enemies. Eric seems so out of place in this life. He lacks confidence, though he fights well enough for a halfling. He talks a lot of Gods, and seems to think he has been cursed for offending one of them, or something like that. Malitias seems out of place too, in a different way. He alone doesn't seem to judge me. If he suspects me of being false, he at least keeps it to himself.

Tomorrow we attack a fort, guarded by countless men, on the rumour of a single letter and a few words from strangers' mouths. We don't truly know who our enemies are, or why they are our enemies, for that matter. This whole affair is madness, but I cannot walk away now. I hope, when we find our answers, they are worth all this bloodshed...and I hope Innes speaks true when he claims he has done nothing to provoke the attacks that have plagued us. He may not trust me, but his story leaves far more doubt than any of mine.

Save me some of the wine from this year's harvest! One way or another, there will be a tale to tell when it is all over.

- Dy"
    MuttleyStinky

-----------Part Ten-------------

The bridge leading into the fort was guarded only by a pair of poorly-trained lookouts, easily dispatched by the five companions, but shortly after the group was confronted by a band of skilled mercenaries. Clearly, they had been expected, and once again they found themselves unable to talk their way out of conflict. As both parties clashed swords, a mage in the shadows cast an enchantment upon the group that clouded their minds, affecting Dyrellei, Eric and Matthew particularly. In the confusion, the Paladin lashed out at all around him, and it was only as the spell wore off that he suddenly realised he had been attacking his friends. Equally unaware of his actions and hence unable to defend himself, Eric had been slain, to Matthew's dismay and Innes' anger.

Despite being so close to their goal, the group chose to return immediately to the Friendly Arm, bearing their friend's body. Raised by the Priest and filled in on what had happened, Eric seemed to bear his accidental murderer no ill will, but Innes seemed unable to forgive the Paladin for his actions. Having not been under the mage's spell himself, it seemed inconceivable to him that Matthew had truly had no control over his actions, despite assurances both from the paladin himself and from those who had also felt the magic influence their minds.

In the midst of the argument, Eric, while gathering his equipment, made the error of trying on an enchanted ring. The ring - obviously cursed - twisted his small body into a grotesque and shambling creature, but fortunately when both the curse and the ring were removed he regained his normal form.

The argument failed to come to any happy conclusion, and the group moved on to the Inn to rest their wounds before returning to Cloakwood. Knowing their target would make the return journey a shorter one, but it is unlikely anyone relished the idea of going back to that spider-infested forest. Nonetheless, they made their way back to the fort as before, and descended into the mines. Somewhere lies their next target, Davaeorn, but it remains to be seen whether or not he will truly hold any answers for them.

------------------------------
    Stinky
    Just a reminder we are on for tomorrow night. 8pm BST(GMT+1) as the clocks went forward in the UK on Sunday.
  • BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
    ah i cannot wait to have leveled up a bit to join the multiplayer it would be enjoyable!
    @BGEFanatic‌ Our host can give you the extra exp via EEKeeper if you want to join us! PM me if you're keen and I'll give you the details.

Everyone else: Sorry for the delay on the narrative, I've been pretty worn out this week. Might get something typed up tonight.
    BGEFanatic
  • Darek_DeathDarek_Death Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2014
    I'm interested in joining. Tell me what type of character you need for the group and I'll make something up. Let me know what experience to give them / what level to put them at and I'll add it with the CLUAConsole. I'll also make their bio account for the experience.

-----------Part Eleven-----------

The workers at the Nashkel mines had been a somewhat sorry bunch, but the group were alarmed to discover that the Cloakwood ore was mined entirely by slaves, under the watchful eyes of a rather extensive guard. Something about this dark underground lair and the pitiful state of its inhabitants seemed to upset Malitias, and he left the group to return to the surface. As the remaining party ventured deeper and deeper through the tunnels, it seemed they were attacked at every turn by more and more of Davaeorn's hired men. Although the group survived each battle, they soon found themselves fighting injured and tired against a seemingly endless number of foes, and eventually they were forced to rest despite the danger surrounding them. A secret door, well hidden but no match for Dyrellei's sharp eyes, led them into a cluster of prison cells, and here they paused, hoping that no one would think to search for them here. While they tended their wounds, they spoke with other inhabitants of the now-open cells.

A slave claimed to be able to lead his fellows to safety, if he only had enough gold to bribe the guard at the top, and the party gladly provided him with the means to do so, but it was another of the inmates that proved more interesting. A druid by the name of Cail shared his tale with the group. He had come here with a party seeking to end the evil of the mines, but the mage Davaeorn had killed his friends and left him here to rot. Keen to seek vengeance, he joined the group as they headed onwards.

The majority of the guards were human or hobgoblin, a mixture of warriors and archers, but as the party ventured on they encountered not just one but two skilled casters...and one was a ogre! While Matthew dealt with the beast, the human mage cast a spell at the group that once again left several members in a confused state. Dyrellei, apparently not in control over her actions, lashed out at Innes and wounded him, but thankfully came to her senses before doing serious harm. Innes was perhaps understandably distrustful of her assurances that she had not intended to attack him, but Eric, having been similarly affected, was able to convince Innes of the spell's power. Backing down, Innes apologised and the group continued onwards.

Finally, their quarry had nowhere left to run: the mage Davaeorn faced them in the lowest part of the mines, his magical defences already prepared in anticipation of their battle. Although more powerful than many wizards they had faced before, Innes' determination and the support of his companions put an end to the slaver once and for all. Gathering all they could of his valuable possessions, and learning what they already suspected from his apprentice - that the Iron Throne was behind all this - they left the mines for good, but not before ensuring they would never before we used for such evil deeds. With the slaves freed, the plug separating the mines from the lake was released, allowing the tunnels to be literally and figuratively washed clean of their dark past. Heading first to the now-familiar Friendly Arm Inn to rest, the group now turns their gaze to the huge city of Baldur's Gate.
    Stinky
  • DJUptonDJUpton Member Posts: 20
    Cail
    Human Avenger
    True neutral

" Born in Baldurs Gate Cail was always and charasmatic and charming child with a hidden anger. At the age of Six years old Cail ran from home after his parents found out that he killed another child that was bullying him. Flaming fist mercenaries chased him into the forests of cloakwood where he found the druids who told him he had great potential and said they could help cast away his angry heart and help him find true balance. He lived many happy years training in with them and he truly felt at peace. Until one day when people from a unknown organization started to move in and disturb the forest, resurrecting the old mine . Him and his foster parents went out to seek who was behind it when they where attacked by a Mage named Davaeorn. Although they fought bravely they where outmatched and he killed Cail"s foster parents with no trouble. But he himself was captured and thrown into the cloakwood mines prison cells. He now seeks vengeance upon him and the entire organization.
    Muttley
  • Darek_DeathDarek_Death Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2014
    Reading through everything in here. Since it seems to be a theme I thought I'd have Patrick write a letter home as well. Also there was request that I include my biography here as well so here it is.

Biography
    "Patrick hails from the city of Scornubel. In his home town he excelled at everything he set his mind to, though he only set his mind towards intellectual pursuits. Though he was still young he was not satisfied with learning what he could from his home. He wanted to study with the masters, at Candlekeep. So with not but the most fundamental supplies that he could afford, and his late fathers compendium of illusionary magics (intended to gain entry into the city of Candlekeep) he set out. With not but a brief stop in Elturel along the way he headed strait for Candlekeep. Believing he was too smart for any monsters or bandits that he might encounter along the way. "

This letter is written in the Gnomish Language, Gnim. (Appearing here in common for those of us not fluent in Gnim)
    "Good well being mother. I promised I would write when I arrived in Candlekeep, but now I do not know when that will ever be. I am writing to you from Baldur's Gate. After I left Elturel I traveled straight to Candlekeep through the wood. But the woods proved... more difficult than I had expected they would be for me. I managed to make it out alive but exhausted, I stopped at the Friendly Arm Inn before continuing towards Candlekeep. But while there I was robbed, fathers compendium was stolen from beneath me nose. I called out for help when I first noticed, but I fear the thief may 'ave been long gone by this point. I searched, and a group who'd been there at the time also offered assistance but was no help at all really.

A druid in their group offered me a magical ring of considerable value which has helped with me magics, perhaps a karmic compensation from the gods for me loss. Of course as luck would have it, the next morning when I awoke the ring was gone from me finger! Despite this loss; making the second theft of the most valuable thing upon my possession within this Inn; having no way to enter Candlekeep and with nothing better to do I agreed to travel with the druid and assist him with his endeavors to repay the debt. To my surprise, when I spoke to him of the loss of the cherished gift he'd given me, he simply gave me another.

I smell something afoul in this, it is a surprise that a group as poor as this lot looks; and in particular a Druid no less; would have a single item of a value such as this, much less 2 of the SAME valuable item... Combined with the remarks which followed my annunciation of a thief within the Inn, I suspect a thief within this very group which to my dismay my new associate seems to be following. I've little else of value, so I think I will be fine for now. And traveling with adventurers is a good way to learn practical application of my magics and hone my skills, as well as potentially discover more powerful magical items such as this ring...

The journey has already both been perilous and fruitful. Gods know why, on the way to Baldur's Gate the group decided to climb into a giant hole in the ground that echoed the sounds of monsters. It seems they had little trouble though, I just sort of stayed out of the way. But the best part was when we passed through the gates of Baldur's Gate and I met Elminster himself! Well, not so much met as listened while he spoke with the leader of the group, an Elf named Innes. This fellow knows Elminster, and seems to be hunted by some powerful group yet feigns innocence. There is something strange about him, he is no innocent; and if I should die, I fully expect it will be his fault.

I hope you're in good health mother, and I look forward to the next time I see you.
    Sincerely,
    Patrick Errlenig"
    Post edited by Darek_Death on
    MuttleyGate70
    edited April 2014

----------Part Twelve-----------

What might have been a gentle evening of rest and recuperation at the Friendly Arm Inn following the groups exploits in the Cloakwood was abruptly shattered by the shouting of a gnome, who appeared to believe he had been robbed. Innes was keen to aid the poor fellow, despite his suspicion that the culprit may be one of his companions, but when the mage lamented that without his tome he would never get into Candlekeep, the young elf mentioned his origin their to Dyrellei's exasperation. Thankfully, the gnome - Patrick - didn't seem to be an assassin, but Dy was quick to caution Innes on the dangers of making his past known, and he agreed not to say anymore on his situation without her permission.

Rarely would 'not being an assassin' make one instantly worthy of trust and generosity, or at least not to the majority of people, but the druid, Cail, saw fit to give a valuable magical ring to the gnome, claiming to the group that he would surely assist them in exchange. Other people were quick to question the logic behind this, as well as wonder why he thought they needed his help at all, but what was done was done. For now, sleep beckoned to the weary travellers.

The soft beds of the Friendly Arm should have offered far better rest than the cold stone of the mines, but Innes woke with a shout, blood trickling from his nose. He claimed it had been nothing more than an unpleasant dream, but as the group mused over this, they recalled the incident in Nashkel's chapel and the strange things he had said there. Innes remembered similar words being spoken by Chanters in Candlekeep's grounds, and suggested they might have answers for him. He was keen to return and find out, but without a book of significant value (which Dyrellei insisted she didn't possess) they had no means of entering, and so they agreed instead to seek the Iron Throne in Baldur's Gate. Patrick, perhaps driven by a sense of obligation or perhaps hoping their path would eventually lead back to the great library he sought, accompanied the group as they headed North.

The city lay on the other side of the river as they followed its banks, and it was there the group were stopped by three fishermen begging their aid in dealing with an evil priestess living North of the city bridge. The party agreed to lend what assistance they could. Before they could find the woman they sought, however, they were set upon by numerous giant insects - ankhegs - and decided that a little extermination would be a worthwhile diversion. Amid the burrows of the monstrous creatures, they found the body of a boy, which they recovered in order to find him a more peaceful grave. A nearby farmer recognised the body as that of his son, to his grief, and the party gave him the corpse as well as a small sum of gold to help tide him over the winter. Moving on, they encountered the priestess they had been warned of...only to discover she was a mere girl. She claimed the fishermen had killed her mother and stolen a sacred bowl. Unsure what to make of all this, the group left both girl and fishermen be for the time being, and headed into the city. Somewhere in this vast settlement lay the Iron Throne, and hopefully the source and end to all their troubles.

(Part Thirteen coming soon!)
    Post edited by Tetraploid on
    Darek_DeathStinky

----------Part Thirteen----------

As the party crossed through the gates into the bustling city, a now-familiar face approached: the wizard Elminster, now open about his interest in Innes' activities, came to offer advice and warnings. His advice was to make an ally of the Guard Captain Scar, while his warnings spoke of 'bad blood' but remained vague. There was much to grasp the attention of the travellers as they took there first steps through the crowded streets, drinking in the sights and sounds, but before they delved into the dangers no doubt awaiting them, a little home comfort was in order. Eric, who came from Baldur's Gate himself, eagerly showed the group to his Mother's bakery so that he might introduce his friends to his family and to their handiwork. Eric's Mam's famous sticky buns did not fail to live up to their expectations, and were thoroughly enjoyed by all, especially Innes!

Cail, also a previous resident of the city, was far less eager to be home. Mentioning that he had run away at a young age, but firmly refusing to share the specifics despite excessive probing from Dyrellei, he seemed somewhat unhappy with their choice of destination.

Tiring eventually of pestering the Druid, the Elven thief made a start to her exploration of a city no doubt filled with riches, and was not disappointed. Within moments, she had ingratiated herself with the local thieve's guild and then immediately helped herself to some of their more interesting treasures. 'Honour among thieves' clearly wasn't a factor. Among her findings was a bound tome, which a local mage helped her identify as a magical book, one which could increase the reader's dexterity significantly. Despite its obvious value to one of her profession, Dyrellei offered the book to Eric instead, suggesting his need was far greater than hers. Of course, such a generous gift would not be freely given. A future favour was the price, though she did not say what form it might take. Innes and Matthew were highly suspicious of such an deal, but Eric accepted the terms when he read the tome and found it to do exactly as predicted.

In the midst of all this, the stress of the city - either due to his past or due to his druidic upbringing - became too much for Cail. Leaving suddenly with his new companion Patrick at his side, it was unclear to the group whether or not he intended to return. The remaining companions pressed on without the Druid and Mage, seeking out Scar as Elminster had suggested.

(More to come.)
    Stinky
    edited April 2014
    Just a reminder for any folk that happen to pass through here that there is currently one spot open and we're continuing with the same group into BG2EE. The thread title is updated regularly to reflect our current status. :) Holler if you're interested in joining! It's a lot of fun!
    Tetraploid
    edited April 2014

----------Part Fourteen---------

A desire to 'see the sights' of Baldur's Gate led the party to a tavern, which turned out to boast one interesting sight at least: the city's worst bard. Levin, a Half-Elf Blade who claims to have slain twenty ogres but also claims that they grant wishes when hugged, sang like a strangled cat and did unspeakable things to an innocent lute, but Innes was enchanted by...well, something about his performance. The rest of the group were less convinced by either his musical ability or indeed any other ability, although Matthew seemed to think his company would be entertaining. As Eric and Dyrellei were unable to convince Innes of his obvious folly, the bard became the newest member of their troupe.

When, finally, the group made it to Scar, they were rewarded for their efforts: the Duke himself asked them to investigate the Iron Throne! A task such as this suggested the need for subterfuge rather than brute force, and Innes suggeste that the group's resident thief rise to the challenge. Unfortunately for Dyrellei, the guards at the Iron Throne proved slightly too well trained to be turned aside with a lie and a smile, and it was with a trail of bodies behind them that the group finally reached the final floor of the imposing building.

A band of men well verse in combat both physical and magical opposed them in the grand hall atop the Iron Throne, and it was against all odds that the group managed a victory, albeit a narrow one. The Halfling Eric did not survive the encounter, and even though their goal seemed so close, it was decide to have him resurrected as a matter of priority. Leaving the Iron Throne and rushing to a Temple to Tymora in the Northern part of the city, the party had the clerics revive their friend before returning once more to finish what they started.

Thaldorn, a cowardly man hiding upstairs, was quick to tell them what they wanted to know, though it was not the news they hoped for. Rieltar, the supposed leader of the Throne, had gone to Candlekeep with a handful of others for unclear reasons. Letters in a nearby desk seemed to confirm this, though one of the correspondences stuck out as unusual: A man by the name of Sarevok had written to Rieltar to assure him that Inne's group had been dealt with personally. What he sought to gain from such a deception was unclear, and his letter claimed he would not be joining the others in Candlekeep, so that seemed to be a mystery left for another day. For now, the group must track down Rieltar in the very place their journey began.
    Post edited by Tetraploid on
    Stinky
  • notonoto Member Posts: 14
    Hey I'd be interested in joining up if you guys still have room. That said I will provide a nice bio about my character if I am given the privilege to join your group :)
    Brilliant. Im pretty sure the others will be keen to have you on board. What time zone are you in? We normally play Sundays 8pm BST and make up the shortfall on a wednesday is we have to postpone a sunday for some reason.
    @noto Yep, we're definitely keen!