Skip to content

How do you explore maps?

QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
This question mostly pertains to BG1, since BGII has very few open areas.
  1. How do you explore maps?67 votes
    1. No black fog of war on my watch!
      37.31%
    2. I go directly to and from all of the important quests, caches, etc. and ignore the rest.
        2.99%
    3. I explore almost everything -- if it's a small corner that is black that I know won't contain enemies etc., I don't bother.
      32.84%
    4. I mostly just do the important things, but wander a little bit for the extra couple of fights and thus EXP it will grant me.
      11.94%
    5. I don't even bother with open exploration areas.
        2.99%
    6. Something else. (please elaborate)
      11.94%
CrevsDaakbooinyoureyeselementMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    edited March 2014
    If outdoor, cast Clairvoyance. It reveals the entire map. Use Farsight in indoors.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Thank goodness for Clairvoyance letting me get those last few blobs of black cleared out. I'd go mad without that spell.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    first time I used to explore it all now I just clairvoyance and go check out interesting things
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Haha I knew I was forgetting something when I made this poll ... Clairvoyance! D'oh!
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If I have good reason to explore, then I explore. If I am trying to escape from somewhere dangerous, then I just get out when I stumble on the opportunity to do so. Thankfully the game is designed such that I don't miss out too much by roleplaying like this.

I also like Wizard Eye.
    SilverstarJuliusBorisov
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    I always open up ALL maps, fully, even that dark corner that is only 2mm long! Well, only exception is areas with sea, or dead zone that can't be trodden. In BG1, i always import a personally created party, with best rolls possible on all characters, so obliterating everything i wish and target had never been an issue for me!

I explore all maps FULLY, kill EVERYTHING, as long as it does not yield reputation loss (or other penalty), only exception is Drizzt and one or more others (that i currently don't bother remembering). It takes really long, but nothing beats the feel of adventuring the first titled so masterfully delivered...
    QuartzFredjoJuliusBorisov
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    honestly, cluaconsole. played this game too many times to ignore the scenery. that and ctrl+j are the only cheats i use just to speed it up
    booinyoureyes

nothing beats the feel of adventuring the first titled so masterfully delivered...

Hallelujah, amen.
    booinyoureyesjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I mostly do this since it feels incomplete if I don't and that just bothers me deep down in my soul. It is like an itch in your lower back that you just can't reach no matter how far you stretch.
    When it is not possible to explore the whole map (damn you roof of De'Arnise Keep!!!!!!!) I will just CLUAConsole:ExploreArea() the damn thing and be done with it.
    QuartzNonnahswriterJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I used to have everything explored with my "main Charname" years ago, but nowadays I focus on getting stuff done.
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Played the game too much to explore entire areas where I know there isn't anything

If I forget the specifics of certain areas then I will explore most of it
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    If I can walk there, I do. I'm an explorer at heart. This leaves some random dark spots on many maps, but that just feeds my inner masochist.
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Woops didn't even read this "I mostly just do the important things, but wander a little bit for the extra couple of fights and thus EXP it will grant me."

I certainly clear up everything that is notable :P I basically don't skip anything but I don't go out of my way to clear the fog when I know it is baren
    Quartz
    jackjack said:

If I can walk there, I do.

Gives you more time to deliver inspiring songs to the party too eh?
    jackjackelementbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited March 2014
    exploration just isn't the same with out dimension door I used to love that spell
    SilverstarQuartzJuliusBorisov
    @CrevsDaak Hahahahaha what the hell
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    I remember exactly where everything I'm interested in is on every map. In both games. (ToB less so.) Unless I'm running new mods, i go objective to objective. I consider treasure- or xp-heavy encounters as objectives too, though.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I use the CLUA command to remove the fog of war. But as to where I go on a map it depends on the type of game I'm playing. If it is a RP style game then it'd depend on what I imagine motivates the party. If it is in the tactical challenge vein then I'm more utilitarian, and go wherever I need to get XP and loot, or find a new party member, etc. I don't sweep the whole map, though.
    JuliusBorisov
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    At the begining I explore everything (it's always fun to meet vampiric wolf at level one), later just click Neera -> click NRD -> click clairvoyance/farsight.
    JuliusBorisov
    Ollmer said:

later just click Neera -> click NRD -> click clairvoyance

That is my primary use of NRD.
    OllmerJuliusBorisov
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Thinking about it, I play the games differently. In BG, I don't tolerate any fog of war except maybe in a corner where I know there are no enemies. But in BG2, I don't bother to fully explore open areas like the Umar Hills, Temple Ruins and Windspear Hills - I know where the interesting stuff is and seek that out first. I don't feel like I *have* to kill every goblin, shade wolf or ankheg. By BG2 such encounters aren't dangerous and they are more of a nuisance than anything.
    JuliusBorisovQuartz
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I agree with @Lemernis : it depends on what type of run I'm on. In most cases I try to roleplay so every little piece of a map should be revealed to find that last enemy or treasure. But when I'm on a no-reload run with some difficulty enhancing mods I try to be the most effective so I go only where I know what I want to find.
  • casualtcasualt Member Posts: 35
    I have to clear every map even if I know there is nothing there.
    Necomancer