Skip to content

Cannot kill trolls with poison damage

OATP1B1OATP1B1 Member Posts: 1
New to this forum, so I was not sure where to put it. I'm currently playing with a solo monk, and am currently going to do the d'Arnise hold quest. However, I cannot kill any trolls. I've tried both with the Scarlet Ninja-To and poisoned throwing daggers. Am I missing something? Is it just acid and fire that can kill them? Because I've read on several websites that those weapons can be used to kill trolls. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    You are correct. You can use any weapon to do damage to trolls, but you need acid or fire to actually kill them for good. Poison damage is different from acid, therefore it doesn't work. You need to find a weapon or some other means that deals fire or acid damage. I don't want to spoil the fun of figuring out a way to do this for you, but if you're tired of looking for a way, click this button:
    - In Athkatla, you can buy a longsword that deals fire damage from the Adventurer's Mart in Waukeen's Promenade or from Bernard in the Copper Coronet.
    - In Trademeet, you can buy an excellent club that deals acid damage.
    - Also in Trademeet, you can buy a necklace with a magic ability that deals fire damage.
    - Some potions can be used as weapons in combat. An Oil of Fiery Burning, a Potion of Explosion, and a Potion of Fire Breath all deal fire damage. You could stack up on those.

@Troodon80: Could you move this topic out of the Bugs section, please?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Hurricane in vanilla BG2 (completely unmodded, with ToB and it's last (good) patch)
    Roger's Sea Troll in the sewers can be killed by Poison, I've set a Thief Trap and lurked him into it, and he died because of the poison damage (when he was already regenerating on the ground) from the trap after some time.
    @CrevsDaak: Nice tactics! :D I was not aware this was possible in vanilla BG2. Regardless, you can be sure that trolls in BGII:EE cannot be killed by poison because this was fixed by the Fixpack. ;) I just compared the relevant files and the poison immunity is indeed missing in vanilla BG2 but is there if the Fixpack is installed and is also present in BGII:EE.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Hurricane, are you sure this is a bug? As you said, poison is different from acid and fire. Can you confirm?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80 this is not a bug, Hurricane said that the poison immunity was added by the BG2 Fixpack.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @CrevsDaak, all right, moving to Not An Issue. Thank you for the confirmation.
    Yup, BGII:EE is working as intended. Thank you Crevs, and Troodon for moving the topic to NAI.