Skip to content

IGN declares Divinity: Original Sin Feels Like A Modern Baldur's Gate. Really?

2»

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    excited to see where this is going. hometown pride!
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    @Quartz‌

Production values do not equate to attitude buddy. And when I said professional I meant attitude and work ethic, not the production values that go into creating videos or the site.

And IMO The Escapist is very professional at what they do, which is be a website celebrating Geek Culture. They don't have pretensions of being something else or something "more" than what they are.

There is only one "journalist" on the Escapist that I would label a blogger pretending to be a journalist (Andy Chalk), the rest of them don't refer to themselves as journalists at all really.
    @jackjack‌

Old man? I think your older than me lol.

I'm only 30 (at the end of the month).
    jackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    jackjack said:

I don't think its accurate to say "a lot of reviews are bought and paid for". I certainly agree that some might well be but "a lot" is pushing it a little.

I'm sorry that you feel that way old man.
    I'm the only one that can say this!
    And to everyone on the forums! Mwahahahaha!
    AristilliusJuliusBorisov
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    @CrevsDaak‌
    how old are you?

CrevsDaak‌
    how old are you?

The double of the twice halved part of ten thousand minus it's doubled half which is then multiplied by three, reduced by seven and multiplied by two.
    elminsterjackjackAristilliusJuliusBorisov
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    i hate math sorry. I´m not making my head explode :D
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    CrevsDaak said:

CrevsDaak‌
    how old are you?

The double of the twice halved part of ten thousand minus it's doubled half which is then multiplied by three, reduced by seven and multiplied by two.
    You're -14? :D
    jackjackelminsterJuliusBorisovTJ_Hooker
    @ChildofBhaal599‌

I feel daft. lol.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

CrevsDaak said:

CrevsDaak‌
    how old are you?

I actually think that was right when we had a thread on this before. made me feel older among the forum at 18 lol (well the entire thread did. so many youngsters playing this game back in the day. i think my little mind would've been pushed away from the game)
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    Honestly, I don't hold any high hopes for Divinity, it seems like a cash grab showcasing the high points of the game, and will probably flop like Dead Island did.
    Still, I have high hopes for Pillars of Eternity and especially Torment - I lost all of my respect to Bioware after ME3, along with Penny Arcade and other gaming sites which supported Bioware in their ripoff gainax ending. Ech. Obsidian and InXile have the means to reconstruct what CRPGS were before the cash-milking method used today became commonplace, let us just pray they succeed in their mission.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2014
    From what I can see from the previews, it's not really that much like Divine Divinity: the Original, but is yet another attempt to hybridize elements from previous versions in an attempt to capitalize on a formerly successful title. I'll probably give it a fair chance, but still.

I loved the original Divine Divinity as a hack-n-slash, loot-based, action, D&D inspired, game.

The expansion was an attempt to hybridize it with a party-based game, and I hated it. (Dennis the 'Death Knight'? You have *got* to be *kidding* me! A "surfer-boy" Death Knight? Forced upon you for the whole game? *And* you have to construct your own spell progression? Skills are irrelevant, just construct your own? *Epic Fail*)!

Divine Divinity 2 was a console-based, "leap about and find the correct a-b-c-d button sequences to progress" game, and I *really* hated *it*!

This latest effort seems like an at least "heart in the right place" attempt to return to the aRPG roots of the series, thus my (so far) willingness to give it a chance.
    JuliusBorisov

CrevsDaak said:

CrevsDaak‌
    how old are you?

oh, crap, my mistake was multiplying by 2 instead of -2. thanks for spotting it :D
    Nonnahswriter

CrevsDaak said:

CrevsDaak said:

CrevsDaak‌
    how old are you?

oh, crap, my mistake was multiplying by 2 instead of -2. thanks for spotting it :D
    Wait wait. So I was RIGHT!?

:D I did math successfully! I'm a genius!!
    ((10000 : 4) x 2 - 5000 x 2) x 3 - 7 x 2

Actually, I did another thing wrong; 5000-10000 don't gives 0, so when you multiply by 3, you end up with -15000 - 7 x 2 which gives -14986 so... I made two mistakes you helped me to spot, but you made several mistakes too.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It looks a lot like BG, to me.
    FinneousPJ
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I was looking for something to play and finally tried Divinity OS (Chris Avellone works on part 2, so I guessed it wouldn't hurt to play part 1 )

I was wrong, this game annoys the hell of out of me.

A lot of minor things that bug me, like I start the game but can't click the first screen away with the mouse, have to use the keyboard or gamepad. \
    - party and inventory management are hell,
    - unrewarding crafting system, tons of items clattering my characters
    - elements from Diablo like identifying and repairing - I never experienced it as a bother in D1 & 2, but doing those things (for free btw., because its a character skill) for a party of 4 when I find every 5 min new stuff. Thats not fun, but a ton of work.
    - this whole games story is parody of a typical fantasy or what? This game is littered with unfunny jokes. Can't take this serious if the game can't take itself serious for a minute.
    - annoying voice acting. The speakers are great, but the same samples get played over and over again. Sitting in the market place of Cyseal, doing some shopping. Try it and keep sane, I was close to murdering the whole f.. town.
    - The whole combat systems is woven around those 4 elements. This gimmicky fighting was fine for a game like Magika, I don't enjoy it very much in D:OS (warming, or wetting triggers those same voice samples again :s
    - No formations and horrible party control. Either I link them and they follow me stupidly through the next gas cloud, or it gets painfully slow micromanaging each character..
    - casting a spell locks every character's action for the duration...
    - item highlighting was so much better in other and older games, why doesn't it outline other action items like chests and traps too ?
    - my stupid 2nd teleport-pyramid always winds up in my inventory instead of teleporting to it.

Graphics and soundtrack are rather nice, after some getting used to managing the camera that is.

And this was the enhanced edition, don't wanna know how the base game was. Not even close to Baldurs Gate in my book.
    JuliusBorisov