Skip to content

#7599 [CORE] - Shocking Grasp leaves behind a "magical weapon in use" restriction when it wears off.

theleethelee Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Expected: when shocking grasp wears off, I should be able to manipulate a character's equipped weapons.

Actual: if you let Shocking Grasp wear off on its own, you are stuck with the "magical weapon In use" restriction so you can't manipulate your equipped weapons, only de-equip them. This is particularly confusing because your character will still be attacking with a weapon normally, though you cannot switch weapons. The only way to fix this (no amount of rest works) is to cast Shocking Grasp again and this time try to attack someone (anyone). This time you'll get a weapon unusable prompt and you'll be able to equip/change weapons as normal.
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014
    I tried and couldn't replicate it. Could you upload a saved game? Their are in Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/save, it's a folder named 00000000000 and the name you gave to the save. Zip/rar it and use the attach a file option under comment box.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    It might also involve an interaction with a quick save/load, if I replicate it I'll post a save here.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @thelee @CrevsDaak, don't worry, I've already been able to replicate it. :-)
    1. In BG:EE, start a new game with a mage that has Shocking Grasp memorised.
    2. Cast Shocking Grasp.
    3. Quick save (also happens on a standard save, it doesn't need to be a quick save).
    4. Quick load.
    5. The character will still have the effects of Shocking Grasp, but the items (such as sword or fist) will display instead.
    If you remove the equipped items in the inventory, such as sword or shield, and then try to put them back it will say "Magical weapon in use." There are two ways to fix this, use CTRL+R to remove the effect from the character or cast Shocking Grasp again and wait for the duration of the spell until it wears off.

Logged as #7599.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    All delayed effects (removal of magical weapon in this case) suffer from this. Eventually they should prevent saving until they're applied.
    @lansounet, interestingly, Ghoul Touch, Chill Touch, Flame Blade, Spiritual Hammer, Shillelagh, Melf's Minute Meteors, and Black Blade of Disaster do not appear to suffer from this, and after saving and reloading the effects wear off after a certain length of time and allow re-equipping of weapons or shields.

All of those type spells that involve magical weapons will have to be tested.

Sol's Searing Orb also suffers from this. Once I'm finished testing and I find the offenders, I'll use this topic as a hold-all for public reference as to what spells are going to require re-casting or use of CTRL+R if a quick-save and reload during the spells' effect is required. That way, we shouldn't end up with a single topic for each spell being reported.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Only disparity I could find (with NI) is that offending spells' (Shocking Grasp/Sol's Searing Orb) effect #111 (Create Weapon) parameter 1 is > 0. Obviously it has to be > 0 for spells that create more than 1 weapon (MMM/SSS) except that MMM is probably an offender too, it's just not supposed to wear off with time so it works fine.
    @lansounet, I had already tried that before you commented (though I edited in DLTCEP). Sol's Searing Orb is still problematic when saving and reloading.

I did find that by removing the 'Used Up Item' for the Searing Orb item, while the effect was still the same when saving and reloading, it did remove the message stating "Magical weapon in use" after reloading.

I'll keep testing spells, though.