Skip to content

So Bards...

viktorhviktorh Member Posts: 9
I never liked Bards. I mean i like the idea of Jack of All Traits and people person, but the whole "and you're literally harming/helping others with playing a guitar" is just absurd... I know about martial music in armies but that's something entirely different. Sure, we shouldn't take fantasy literally but I think we all agree that there are some boundaries. And for me, that boundary is crossed with a guy playing an instrument or singing while his party of buddies is torn to pieces. And he's actually making a difference! I just don't know how to interpret it. Hell, how am I supposed to imagine it without the whole thing not being absurd and ridiculous?? Am I missing something?

But... maybe I'm missing something. I would like to play bard some day but the absurd "combat music" always turn me out... So, I'm asking if anyone thought about how silly the concept is? and maybe found a way to make it believable and plausible somehow?

Thanks

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Play a blade, it's more fighter/mage.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited March 2014
    Remember, bards can cast spells as well. It's not a huge leap for them to have a magic song. There are many magic harps in the game. And all the pure class bard song does is protect from fear. That very close to feasible, especially in a world where people shoot fire out of thier hads, and are fully functional when 99% dead.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    And just wait 'til you get the harp that flings your enemies away from you three times a day!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2014
    Wizards use sound to convey magic all the time. Wail of the Banshee, Shout, Siren's Call. Pretty much every spell has a vocal component (which is why you cannot cast when you are 'silenced'). It fits in with the other characters. How many times did a prayer give you +1 to your attacks in real life? They are channeling magic through song.
    If you look at a bard the same way it will help you see him as fitting in with the setting.

Also listening to Blind Guardian helps. A lot.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    @Neecomancer yeah that guy is basically the reason I like paladins

@Heindrich the flute doesn't permit a saving throw its pretty op. Also the big bellies is actually how they can fly and breathe fire. They basically inflate themselves with gas in order to fly and exhale it in order to land and breathe fire(they can ignite it in there mouth). its also how the knight kills it as his super heated sword ignites the gas in the dragons belly. I actually quite like the concept
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Bards music is considered magical, I think. You can make a real life example about music giving people morale etc. But in the game the bard song goes beyond that, it counters magical fear. When a horror spell hits a victim, or a dragon uses its Dragon fear ability, or a demon/ghost etc. uses a fear ability, it is a magical attack. In pnp you just can not say 'I am fearless, I fear nothing, I will attack the ghost!' Your dm will roll your saving throw regardless. And if you fail he will have you covering or fleeing (and you also age when you see a ghost in pnp) Bravery or morale has little to do with these effects, it is pure magic.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I heard on radiolab that soldiers in Iraq would listen to ride on the Valkyries before going into battle. Music can be extremely powerful. There where also the drummer boys and picilos and trumpets/bugles in the American civil war. These also functioned as signals in a loud battlefield, but I'm sure they where used as moral boosters in and around the battles.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The Ride of the Valkyries thing is a bit of a rip-off of Apocalypse Now - Life imitates Art. I too recall hearing about music played loudly from attack helicopters, though the music the used often seems a bit out of place. I think the article I read mentioned the Rolling Stones being played in the second Gulf War.

Music does definitely have psychological impact though. The Men Who Stare at Goats (the book, not the film) has a few damning chapters about Psyops (Psychological Operations) and enhanced interrogation techniques involving sleep deprivation and deafening music.

Not that this really relates to bards, unless they're Cacofonix levels of bad.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    @Corvino You just gave me the *best* idea for an evil bard.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Things got better in 3rd and 4th Edition, when Bards could sing, fight, and then maintain their singing on conscutive rounds with free/swift/minor actions, depending on the ability and edition in question.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Bards making magic because... music, is just as believable (won't say realistic) as Clerics making magic because...faith and Druids because...nature.

Don't try to make sense of it. There's nothing absurd about it.

And Bards aren't just musicians or minstrels. That's just a Commoner or Expert that raises the Perform skill in DnD 3.5E.

And Clerics aren't just devout people. A Fighter could be really devout and be unable to cast spells.
    Bards are people that learned to channel their magic through music.
    They're not musicians that harm people with a lute (unless it's used like an improvised blunt weapon).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I agree that 3E onward changed Bards a lot. Their spell list was a bit limited but access to healing spells really did make them a jack-of-all-trades. I've played a bit of Temple of Elemental Evil recently and have seen forum suggestions that having a Bard instead of a Cleric or Druid can be viable.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    btw, new Blind Guardian album (supposedly) coming out in May
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    edited March 2014
    Corvino said:

I agree that 3E onward changed Bards a lot. Their spell list was a bit limited but access to healing spells really did make them a jack-of-all-trades. I've played a bit of Temple of Elemental Evil recently and have seen forum suggestions that having a Bard instead of a Cleric or Druid can be viable.

Bards in pathfinder are much better though, especially with archetypes that allow them to pick specializations (much like class kits).
    The biggest examples of bardic superiority in pathfinder are the Arcane Duelist, who is a gish on steroids reminescent of the Anointed Knight (can have Inspire Courage as well as the ability to have up to 5 enhancements to your weapon, heavy armor proficiency with casting included, fighter feats and full access to the bard spell list), and the Magician, which boosts caster effectiveness for the group up the wazoo (its main song boosts caster level and concentration up to 4 levels higher, a great boon on buffs, spell penetration and AoO prevention), as well as having access to the Wizard/Sorcerer and Witch (bests Save or Sucker in the game, with a level 1 debuff that forces the target to reroll on a successful save against your own spells) spell lists and a great potential for conterspelling and magical neutering, with the ability to use your performance pool to fuel metamagic as the big cherry on top, putting it firmly on the second tier of effectiveness, rivaling the sorcerer and oracle in single combat and far surpassing them when in a group (being able to easily replace the tier 4 rogue also makes them much more desirable).
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    I really want to create a Bard now. Pretty good song that Necomancer thanks for sharing it.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112

Bards aren't just players of music. Their songs are, in some way, literally magical. Either because of what they sing or how they sing it. Regardless, just picture bard music working for the same reason a mage can wiggle their hands about and speak in latin to produce balls of roaring flame when theres no object to be consumed and thus no excuse for the fire's existence.I can believe in the magic of song more then in the magic of making fire from nothing. It comes from a mystical force that few understand well.

Also, part of the reason people love bards is they are a bit absurd and ridiculous. They're a bit of light heartedness in a world filled with dark deeds and dark times.

More then that, when names are forgotten, when deeds are old, when books have wasted away, the bard song still remains. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tORtmKIjE

P.S. yes that last comment was just an excuse to post that song its awesome don't judge me.

Dude, can't stop listening to that band now. 100 points to you my man.