Skip to content

Config Utility for Enhanced Edition

Is there any way to bring up the Configuration Utility that the original games had for the Enhanced Editions? Specifically, I was looking to change the setting which allowed you to increase the pathfinding nodes, which usually resulted in better pathfinding. The pfing for EE seems to be even worse than I remember it, maybe it's just nostalgia but I would like to be able to improve it. Any opinions?

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited March 2014
    The configuration utility from the old games will not work due to the overhaul in the format of configuration/initialisation file. The original was a simple standard INI file, whereas the new version uses a SQL (schema) table format for the settings. I worked on a configuration tool some time back, but never released it. I thought about making one via Java, but that never amounted to anything either. Someone else out there might have a go since there is interest by multiple people.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Specifically, I was looking to change the setting which allowed you to increase the pathfinding nodes, which usually resulted in better pathfinding.

Just look in the game's ini file, you can adjust the pathfinding nodes there. The format is a bit of a mess though, you'll be best off using the Find function. I found though that having the path nodes at 400000, like I did in the original game, would cause a lot of stuttering and lag in certain areas where there was a rather difficult path to follow.

• DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    It starts at 32,000. What do you think is a good setting? I have actually noticed lag and stuttering even at that level when they get to a narrow area.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    You'll just have to experiment. No one can say how much lag you're willing to put up with, or how picky you are with the pathfinding. I personally don't have a problem with the default value now, I just make sure to keep an eye on my party as they're moving so they don't something really stupid, and to only select short distances for them to travel to.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    It's weird, I added a zero to it and so far it doesn't seem to have affected the lag.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yeah I have used 400000 since I first got the game, and lag has never been an issue for me.