Skip to content

First success against Doomsayer and I want more details about where the damage came from.

My Lvl4 Mages [Imoen and F/M Charname] Webbed him and Wand of Fired him once to begin. Followed by 5 Magic Missiles plus some sort of Magic Arrows and Darts of Wounding.

Jaheira was equipped with +1Sling and +1Bullets.

Kivan and Ajantis [Comp.Longbow+1&Shortbow+1] were firing Magic Arrows of some sort. I was not exactly sure where they came from except that I was trying not to use the Arrows of Biting. Some at least were Flame Arrows.

Branwen cast Animate Dead which served a vital screening function when Doomsayer finally saved against Web. She also was slinging +1Bullets.

Ajantis finally engaged him with Varscona and was healed twice by Branwen before battle ended.

Later I checked the awesome stats for Doomsayer and saw all those resistances. So I am not sure what tactics actually did the job. Perhaps it was just that the Web spell really held up well.

Any thoughts on what has worked well for you in full party playthroughs???

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014
    For solo runs, kiting, running away, kiting, ranged weapons, waiting for the critical hit, running even more to avoid the 1.2 insane spwaning rates, more ranged weapons, more running and ranged weapons kiting, taking Potions of Healing and sometimes using low-speed-factor weapons in melee.
    Basically, just RUNNING!
    Edit: worth mentioning that it takes lots of times, but this way you can do it with a level one PC in a solo run.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    Never use lightning or call lightning against it. I believe it has 127 resistance in lightning so it heals it (I'm not capable of checking to confirm this at the moment but it has at least 100 electricity resistance).

With a solo druid I distracted it with summons and then I think I killed him by using a number charges from a wand of the heavens (from Ulgoth's Beard). So I imagine in a party it would be something similar.

Edit: Turns out its 125 resistance to electricity.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2014
    I can't remember now if the Doomsayer (same as Doom Guard?) is like a Battle Horror (e.g., such as those which guard the natural bridge formation at Durlag's Tower)... but if so I have found that a wand of frost actually works great for them. Same with Skeleton Warriors, IIRC. I've been away from the game for a while, and my memory on certain things is a little hazy, so take with a grain of salt.

If I'm remembering this right, though, the frost wand is particularly nice to use also because those creatures don't have any loot drops.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Fire wand's scorcher is useful against Battlehorrors near Durlag. Two charges will bring one to near death or kill it. Blindness and slow also help if they stick. Magic missile is nice too.

I remember in old bg a player dispelling them so their flaming swords are dispelled and they attack unarmed:walk şn the park! I think this might have been fixed by the EE.
    edited March 2014
    These types of undead creatures (doom guards and battle horrors) can only be hit with magical and elemental damage, is that right? Skeleton warriors I think can be hit by magical weapons...? Sorry, it's been so long.
    The main difference between the Doomslayer and Doom Guards or Battle Horrors is that Doom Guards and the Doomslayer are both about 50% resistant to cold and fire, whereas a Battle Horror doesn't have this. A Doom Guard has no resistance against lightning and Doomslayer has 125% resistance to lightning. The major commonality they share is 100% missile resistance.
    Thanks @elminster. Do they take damage from magical weapons, or is it only elemental and magical energy?
    edited March 2014
    Its AC (-2) is such that I think you'd want magical weapons in order to more reliably hit it but at least from what I can tell normal weapons can theoretically hit them. Besides missile weapons of course.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2014
    Doomsayer being immune to lightning makes sense, he is a creature of the ancient god Kozah, afterall. (Who is known in the modern times as Talos the god of storms&destructive face of the nature)
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Thanks. In my case it must have been Magic Missiles and Ajantis with Varscona and several healing spells while Branwens' BFF-Skeletons shielded more vulnerable NPCs. I also had wondered about Dispel Magic if Doomsayer's weapon was essentially the same as the spell Flame Blade rather than a +2 physical sword.

@Lemernis : ~Wand of Frost, eh?? Nice item indeed then to be so casually bestowed. I tried it out on Mustard Jellies earlier--nada!! Wonder how many charges it has remaining when found?

Would have been more interesting if WoF could have been associated with perhaps a sort of homage-paying first visit to Ulcaster. Or at least something more appropriate in a narrative sense for a Mage.

As it stands it fits nicely into power-game themes such as winning in the fewest number of game hours, etc with almost zero RP value. Yada-yada-yada!! (lololol)

Or how about freeing Tamah and demanding a reward. Good players would cringe at the Rep loss and be disinclined to even explore the house when it turns out to be half-submerged. And yet for some reason they explore it carefully. Anyhow - another nice story element in Cap 1-3 that was not exploited fully.

Perhaps something adding depth to the extraordinary context of Minsc-Edwin-Dynaheir and the
    Gnolls. I still don't have a clue why Edwin was involved in the matter at all???
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Note: I replayed Doomsayer battle to try out Wand of Frost etc. This time I held off on ranged attacks because they scored no damage per discussion above. Almost fatal mistake.

In the earlier battle, even though the bullets/arrows scored little or no Dmg, they effectively stopped Doomsayer in his tracks long enough for Web to resolve. This time Doomsayer advanced enough to outrun Web. Animate Dead barely managed to corral him after a near-deadly attack on Imoen so that Ajantis [Varscona] and Kivan [Halberd+1] could safely melee with Magic Missiles and Wand of Frost from Imoen and Charname.

Next playthrough I plan to do half of Basilisk map before Sirines and Excavation so that Branwen will hit Level 5 and have Dispel Magic available. Much simpler... That will also allow 2 forward attackers Protected from Petr. when dealing with Greater Basilisks instead of doing them one-at-a-time just in case some random monsters caused delays.