Skip to content

Waylaid by Mysterious Doppelgangers in Green - what was that about?

Strange thing happened to me. I've been waylaid by some people in green, looking like random commoners, both thick and thin version. After a short explanation that "it's time" and "I need to be captured" they attacked me - previously changing into copies of my team. The fight was not much of a challenge and no interesting drops. There was no follow-up and I cant recall such encounter in un-enhanced version of the game, as far as I remember it was just after I escaped Underdark went to finish some side-quests before retrieving the Lantern...
Party members: mage/thief charname, Dorn, Hexxat, Viconia. Anyone? I'm very curious what was that all about.

Comments

• Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    To my knowledge it's just a different random encounter late game. I guess doppelgängers seemed more interesting than another round of bandits.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    They're in the original game too. But yeah just a random encounter with flavor.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I'm pretty sure it is part of Unfinished Business, as they seem to be looking for Charname. So for all intents and purposes (unless Beamdog changes it) it can be treated as just a random encounter, without any meaning.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    What Stasis_Sword and enqenq said. Its a random encounter that you can find in the original game (in chapter 6 and 7).
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    So apparently I somehow managed not to run into those guys during my previous BG2 plays. It seemed barely possible since I made at least ten runs in the past so assuming that it's a part of Enhanced Edition was logical. Thanks for explanation :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @winters yeah my first bg2ee play through I ran into them, but every other play through after that I haven't seen them since
  • Christian79Christian79 Member Posts: 48
    Thank god, I found this thread. I just was waylaid by that group the first time in 20 years and I was seriously worried that my mod setup was screwed up somehow.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A bit more on this encounter:
    - They're rakshasa. And from what happens in Suldanesselar, Irenicus definitely made a deal with a group of them. Just another low-key "maybe this'll deal with those annoying adventurers" scheme on his part.
    - The rarity is a side effect of flawed map design. Relatively few map links have any chance of a random encounter at all; mostly, it's just the step from Athkatla to somewhere else that can roll an encounter. And if you take the fighter stronghold, the chance of an encounter on that first leg from Athkatla to de'Arnise Keep drops from 100% to zero. Since the keep is on the shortest path to practically everywhere, the pathfinding algorithm routes through it and nearly entirely squashes random encounter chances for the rest of the game.