Skip to content

Super simple beginners questions

Very new to BG. Trying to get the hang of combat. Couple of questions arising that I can't find the answers to.

1. If you attack an enemy with your sword, does your character keep attacking until target dies or you issue another command OR will he attack for his 6 second round and then just stop and do nothing meaning you have to order him to attack again?
2. If they do keep attacking, does that work the same for spell casters - do they keep casting same spell over and over until they 'run out' or you give a different order?
3. How long can a spellcaster cast a spell for before it has to be re-learned (re-remembered?)? Is it a set number of uses like "5 goes" and then you need to rest?

I know these are super simple but you know when you just can't find the the simplest answers on the web or in the manuals?! I'm sure they are in the manuals and I'm just missing them actually.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014

Very new to BG. Trying to get the hang of combat. Couple of questions arising that I can't find the answers to.

1. If you attack an enemy with your sword, does your character keep attacking until target dies or you issue another command OR will he attack for his 6 second round and then just stop and do nothing meaning you have to order him to attack again?
    2. If they do keep attacking, does that work the same for spell casters - do they keep casting same spell over and over until they 'run out' or you give a different order?
    3. How long can a spellcaster cast a spell for before it has to be re-learned (re-remembered?)? Is it a set number of uses like "5 goes" and then you need to rest?

I know these are super simple but you know when you just can't find the the simplest answers on the web or in the manuals?! I'm sure they are in the manuals and I'm just missing them actually.

1.) He will keep attacking the target until it's dead or you give him a different command.

2.) Once you have ordered someone to cast a spell, you'll have to order him again to throw another. They will not throw spells automatically.

3.) You can cast a spell once from your spellbook, or depending on how many spells slots you have chosen for that one spell. Your spells will be 'refreshed' every time you sleep (and your sleep doesn't get interrupted).

If your mage has 2 spell slots in his spellbook, you can chose which spells you want there. You can for an example pick 2 Identify or 2 magic missile. You can also pick 1 magic missile and 1 identify. You'll be able to use these once for every spell slot you select for that spell.

Spells in Baldur's Gate are rare, and you'll want to equip your spell casters with ranged weapons as well.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited April 2014
    1. Yes, he'll just keep attacking until the target dies or another command is issued. But you can set the auto pause to turn based, and it will pause after every turn so you can either issue another command or let him continue attacking.

2. No, they will only cast the spell once.

3. For every caster except Sorceror, you can only cast a specific memorized spell in a spell slot once before you have to rest and rememorize it. But you can have the same spell memorized multiple times if you want to cast it more than once in between rests. For Sorcerors, once you learn spells you can cast any spell you know of a certain level a specific number of times before resting based on your character level.
  • McMechanismMcMechanism Member Posts: 2
    Great. Thanks for the answers. I understand perfectly now.