Skip to content

Windspear Hills *spoilers*

Ok, a quick question to all you BG fanatics out there :

Doing Windspear Hills, is there any way (other than using the console) to NOT kill the Paladins-disguised-as-monsters and still get to enter the dungeon?

I have tried everything I can think of, and used just about every spell that could possibly be considered viable and...nothing. They remain monsters. So it doesn't look like there is a way to "turn them back" into paladins...or at least dispel the illusion (assuming that is what it is).

I even avoided them, and went to the dungeon, only to find that they are blocked!

So how do they get "unblocked"? Who clears out the debris so that you can enter the dungeon? And WHY when I have accepted the quest, is it not possible to enter the dungeon WITHOUT killing the paladins?

That brings us to the next question - just what spell in the Nine Hells was used to create this illusion? Because it is incredibly powerful...about as powerful as the one used in the Circus, I would say.

And who is creating these illusions?

Let us put aside for a moment the absolute horrible railroading here, and try to come up with an ingame reasoning for this.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I always assumed Firkraag is responsible for the illusions. As for avoiding the fight, I'm not sure of a reason for treating those ogres as anything other than a clear & present danger, but you make a point - it all is rather railroaded.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I never got the impression that Firkraag was a powerful Illusionist; I am sure that he would be able to enlist the aid of one, however. The question is, what spell was used, and who is the Illusionist in question?

As for the reason behind treating the monsters (there are more than just ogres, there is also an ogre magi and a gnoll elite) suspiciously are the manner in which they speak (which is strange, because one would think that the illusion would be powerful enough to change that as well) - one of the replies from them obviously gives you a clue that they see your party as monsters as well, not to mention that the words that they use are not ones that would typically be used by an ogre!

And especially after the Circus quests, I don't know about you, but my Charname has become very suspicious of illusions, so any clues that may indicate such are immediately picked-up on.

It is also strange that to a Detect Evil (and Know Alignment) spells, that they do not "respond" to these spells (and magical abilities)...so that is one very powerful illusion!

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    It is my firm belief that there's an OOTS panel/strip to explain every odd aspect of BG. This one, for example, is motivated by the last panel of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0251.html
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @WebShaman: The game is full of stuff like this, if you stop even for a minute to consider. You're simply wasting your time, and a lot of it.

1) What in-game mechanism are the cowled wizards using to monitor spell casting in Athkatla? Why does it only work in some areas?
    2) What is the exact illusion spell that the guy in the circus tent uses?
    3) How is it possible that many shopkeepers have infinite spells of identify at their disposal? If they cast them, how is that possible? If it's an item, why doesn't it exist?
    4) How can Jon Irenicus cast so many spells so quickly in the cut scenes - but not when you finally fight him?

And so on. And so on some more.

You're also meta-gaming. Within the game, you shouldn't even suspect it's an illusion. Yes, it is railroaded, but an awful lot of the game is, for rather obvious reasons. (It's only in ToB that the railroading gets too heavy for me.)
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    3: And where is their inventory and their gold. They have tens of thousands to spend on buying my items, but if I kill them they have ten gold.
    4: Would you WANT to wait for him to kill them within the rules?
    @enqenq:

4: No, I would not. I was simply trying to point out that WebShaman's complaint is much ado about nothing.
    As for the shopkeepers, Roger the Fence is particularly illogical. Alone, in the sewer, with infinite amount of money to buy your stuff and a whole lot of potions to sell. None of the potions exist, however, if you kill him. And neither does the money.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    You're also meta-gaming. Within the game, you shouldn't even suspect it's an illusion.
    No I am not! I am responding to both the illusion that I ran into before (the Circus) and the strange responses I get from these "monsters"...it is entirely logical to think that something is not right (due to how they converse, and what they say), and to try to find out what it is.

Not that I did not kill them, in the end. You have to. You quite literally have no other choice, if you wish to find this "Firkraag"...

As for the Cowled Wizards, that is better explained in the FR Souce Books for Amn. This is not something that Bioware made up.

As for the Illusion, I am beginning to suspect that someone (or something) is powerful enough to make these illusions. The Gnome in the Circus alludes to such before dying (as he was obviously not powerful enough to cast such, and even says so along the lines of "I was promised...blah blah"). I also suspect the same Illusionist did the one for Firkraag.

So there is something connecting many things across the land, it would seem. Is it the Twisted Rune? This "mysterious" Hidden?

It really would have been interesting if one could have found and investigated this thing, instead of encountering it piecemeal.

As for Shops, obviously they are "simplified" in order for Charname and Co. to have easier access to them. Certainly it would be better if they were only available at certain times a day, with "limited" gold, etc...

And yeah, if one does kill them, one should be able to get access to all their treasure, or at least that in stock...I rather suspect that many of the "items" are hidden away, or in a special storage place, and they have it brought to you (this is not simulated ingame due to the added time, etc it would require).

The Fence in the Sewers is exactly something along this line that I suspect does this. Still, alone in the Sewers...definitely not a healthy place to be, awaiting for...who? Can't be many customers down there!
  • SlandeSlande Member Posts: 23

@WebShaman:
    3) How is it possible that many shopkeepers have infinite spells of identify at their disposal? If they cast them, how is that possible? If it's an item, why doesn't it exist?

I always assumed the shopkeepers had a high Lore rating, enabling them to skip the Identify spells completely. There were mods available for vanilla which made non-clerical/priestal shop-keepers having quite low lore rating, so they could only identify simple stuff, and requiring you to find the "smart" identifiers for the good stuff.