Skip to content

Flesh to Stone

Is there any way to protect against this spell as a divine spell caster that doesn't involve Shield of Archon? There is always a tiny chance that it'll go through your saving throws, so what to do other than Archon?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I guess there aren't any potions of mirror eyes in BG2 (or if there are they are either a random drop or nobody on Gamebanshee/Mike's RPG Center seems to know where specifically they are).

Technically there is no such thing as a critical failure when it comes to your saving throws. That said some of the innate Flesh to Stone abilities don't allow for a save, so your saving throw won't help. Others sometimes even use a "kill target" effect rather than a petrification effect, so protection from petrification won't help (you'd probably want Death Ward active instead).

But for the level 6 wizard spell version provided your saving throws are at 0 they should always work against it (save vs spell in the case of Flesh to Stone).
    SionIVjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I just completed BGEE with my cleric team, and i'm going to take them into BG2EE. I'm just worried about traps. There is one in bridge, another in Temple and a third in Watcher's keep level one. I'm sure there are other ones i'm forgetting as well, just don't want my run to end because of them.
    elminsterBlackravenjackjack
    Another option is to remake Lyssa (My evil Talos Elf) to a dual classed Rogue (7) Priest of Talos (8) to solve it. Or i'll just send her in first and let her get the stoned...
    elminsterBlackravenjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Make a skeleton. They are immune.
    CrevsDaak
    Tresset said:

Summoned creatures don't trigger traps?
    jackjackmeagloth
    edited April 2014
    SionIV said:

Tresset said:

Summoned creatures don't trigger traps?
    Oh, this is about traps? I didn't read everything.

I know potions were already mentioned but I know that the magic shielding potions make all your saves automatically successful (by giving you a massive bonus to saving throws). I think those are a bit more common (and longer lasting) than mirrored eyes potions.
    SionIVCrevsDaak
    edited April 2014
    Some of the petfrification traps I know let you make the save but I don't know if all of them do.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
    I know that there is at least one that does not allow a save, but that one (spellhold bridge trap) seems to do so more for plot reasons than difficulty reasons.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I also recommend using Neera's starting belt, "Adoy's Belt" if you are playing the EE and the "Necklace of Form Stability" that can be found in Mekrath's Lair, with both items you get a -10 to Polymorph/Petrification save.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovSCARY_WIZARD
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    elminster said:

Yea I guess there aren't any potions of mirror eyes in BG2...

That's absolutely absurd if it's true.
    winters
    edited April 2014

elminster said:

Yea I guess there aren't any potions of mirror eyes in BG2...

That's absolutely absurd if it's true.
    Well I've looked online and outside of mods and item code lists nobody seems to have brought it up. Including the websites that typically tell you where items are.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    It would be cool if Morul from the Mage stronghold can make those potions that were available in BG1 here (namely potions of mirror eyes and magic blocking).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    CrevsDaak said:

I also recommend using Neera's starting belt, "Adoy's Belt" if you are playing the EE and the "Necklace of Form Stability" that can be found in Mekrath's Lair, with both items you get a -10 to Polymorph/Petrification save.

Umm, most flesh to stone effects (spell, trap, beholder ray) require a save vs spells. Basilisk gazes (in BG1) do require save vs polymorph, though. Adoy's belt is still useful for a wild mage when a wild surge:polymorph into squirrel (or wolf) occurs.

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    @ Elminster, You cannot get a critical failure on saves? Are you sure of that.
    This one is quite huge actually. I always planned my no reload for never having to roll a saving throw but that would mean i can plan them differently now.
    mumumomo said:

@ Elminster, You cannot get a critical failure on saves? Are you sure of that.
    This one is quite huge actually. I always planned my no reload for never having to roll a saving throw but that would mean i can plan them differently now.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/232366#Comment_232366
    JuliusBorisovSCARY_WIZARD
    That's great. Thanks a lot for the info.
    what is funny is that most people in that thread assume (like i did) that 1 was anyway a critical failure.

A dwarven defender can really be completely unkillable :
    - physical immunity from stance/hardiness/natural boost/DoE
    - with proper equipment (+2 ring, ring of gaax, helm of balduran -> +5 bonus), shorty bonus (+5) and stance (+2), his spell saving throw would be at -4 (= immune to every save-allowing effect) from level 13!

He would only fear elemental damage (not a big problem with d12 HP and negative ST) and maze/imprisonment

Maybe i will start one for my next run.
    elminsterCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    @mumumomo Defensive Stance may not be used in conjunction with Hardiness.
    CrevsDaakelminstermeagloth
    If stance stacks with DoE and the natural resistance that's still 90% resistance, which is very close to complete immunity (especially with regeneration). Can somebody confirm if these stack?
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @mumumomo‌ I can :) I think that you'll have to equip DoE before casting Defensive Stance but that's OK I guess.
    jackjackelminster
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    SionIV said:

Is there any way to protect against this spell as a divine spell caster that doesn't involve Shield of Archon? There is always a tiny chance that it'll go through your saving throws, so what to do other than Archon?

Buy a Scroll of Protection from Petrification; they should be available at most temples. The protection scroll is significantly better than the spell because it lasts for 6 hours.
    TressetSionIVlunar