Skip to content

HLA: War Cry

bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
Has anyone picked this as HLA over other abilities? I used it once just to see the effect but didnt bother afterward. Is this any different from the mage spell Horror? (as indicated by http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Epic_Level_Abilities) To me, it seems that this HLA bypasses MR.

I'm thinking about roleplaying as a Samurai and getting this ability for free at every 4 or 5 levels. Would this be too op?

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Ah crap, I realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Can someone in charge kindly moves this thread to the general discussion section?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    It seems like it would be really cool to have mod that gave barbarians an improved version of this ability. It seems very much in line with what you'd imagine from a barbarian warrior.

I actually did pick this in my first time through ToB for Minsc, but I don't remember ever using it. It was only my second time picking an HLA (after charname's first) so I didn't really know much about what to pick. I feel like my first time using it was against Gromnir's party and it didn't really do anything so I kinda ignored it for the rest of the run.

It would be nice to have it for a skald too.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2014
    It is kinda the most useless fighter HLA, maybe with the exception of Resist Magic for a Paladin (but that one is maybe handy for others), but it's Role-playing value is immense. It bypasses does not MR and acts like Horror, not very good but it will make everyone run away and leave you in peace for a while, at least if you casted Greater Malison before and no one has MR.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited April 2014
    Weird. I looked it up in the game files and it says it doesn't bypass magic resistance. So I'm not sure whats going on there.

In any case it needs a save vs spell with no penalty. Its just not worth it imo especially since panic is a pretty common immunity.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I've never tried it. IIRC it has no save penalty, so I thought it was unlikely to work on anything at epic levels.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @elminster‌ oh, thanks, I kinda updated my post. I think it should bypass MR, it's a scream after all.
    elminster said:

Weird. I looked it up in the game files and it says it doesn't bypass magic resistance. So I'm not sure whats going on there.

In any case it needs a save vs spell with no penalty. Its just not worth it imo especially since panic is a pretty common immunity.

I recall using it at the moment when I fought against the final guardians against demogorgon. They have immense MR and I remember it worked on 2 of them. Maybe I got lucky that time.
  • RandyMcStudRandyMcStud Member Posts: 71
    Totally OP. Needs a nerf. Buff some undercooked HLA to compensate, like greater whirlwind for example.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I think it should be reworked into an HLA given to classes that can rage, working similarly to NWN's Terrifying Rage.

While the Barbarian, Berserker, Grizzly Bear, or Minsc is raging, any enemy with less than the rager's hit dice that comes within 10' of him must make a save vs. Paralysis or become panicked for 1d6 rounds. Opponents with up to twice the rager's HD will not flee but will receive a +2 penalty to THAC0 and saving throw rolls. Creatures with more than double the rager's hit dice are not affected by the rage.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    jacobtan said:

It should be renamed as "Harpy's Shriek" for Jaheira, since she is a Harper. For Mazzy, "Little Boombox". If Shar-Teel is in the game, "Butch's Bellow".

Jokes aside, without any save penalty, it's a bit hard to justify taking this over other HLAs :)

I would pick it on Mazzy if it came with that name.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    you don't take this power for any other reason than because its cool, and that should be enough

you end up with so many HLAs I usually take one just for fun
    Would getting it for free at low levels (every 4-5 levels starting level 1) OP?
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    bbear said:

Once in five to ten levels beginning from L10 should be okay (I'm for ten). Before L10, not advisable. Crowd control works wonders in BG/BGEE and having too many castings will be quite OP.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    bbear said:

I don't see an issue with getting it every 4-5 levels though I wouldn't grant it on the first level (just levels 5, 10, etc). Its basically no different than a horror spell and you potentially get those innately.