Skip to content

Role playing Baldur's gate with 4 people while drinking...(SPOILERS)

2»

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    While some people may find this offensive, it certainly isn't intentionally malicious, and there's worse things in the comments of pretty much every YouTube video ever. This kinda stuff is really the internet smallest problem when it comes to offensive material.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I
    jackjack said:

Unfortunately, that's true. And there are plenty of LPers who flagrantly cross the line to a much further degree, a number of whom sadly enjoy a large following.

I had to google LPer. "Let's Player" yes?
    I've never watched many of those, but whay you just said is pretty saddening.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014

I

jackjack said:

Unfortunately, that's true. And there are plenty of LPers who flagrantly cross the line to a much further degree, a number of whom sadly enjoy a large following.

I had to google LPer. "Let's Player" yes?
    I've never watched many of those, but whay you just said is pretty saddening.
    It is blown a bit out of proportion. Most LPers aren't that bad. People also need to understand that if you're going to watch something on the internet (youtube, google, forums) you'll have to be able to reign in your own feelings on certain subjects.

Racism is a real thing indeed and there are people out there who will make fun with it, people out there pick fun at everything. You won't find a single subject that is 'taboo' that people will leave alone, the more 'taboo' it is the more they will go for it, to get a reaction or just because they CAN talk about it.

But the point is that you'll have to grow a backbone and just accept it's out there. I found the video very entertaining, this doesn't mean i support 'racism', it means that i can watch it without letting that get to me. I don't even think it's that bad to be honest, i've heard much worse.

This is the internet in 2014, if you're going to let a 'minor' thing like this affect you, you're in for a rough trip.

I'll probably get loads of shit for this post, but relax everyone, it's harmless fun until people turn it into something it's not and blow it out of proportions, like we see here.

And for your information i'm a mongrel and have suffered from both racial slurs and physically beaten for my 'heritage', it still doesn't bother me because i'm not going to let it.

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @SionIV wow I'm impressed with your relaxed position, considering what you've been through. I'm glad for you that you manage to not let your bad experiences get to you.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The one thing I still very much need to hear is reactions from Asians, who are the "target" of the (unintentional?) racism in this video. We had one very negative reaction from @Twani, and he or she was told more or less to "F*** off." (I did not appreciate that, by the way. If he or she gave a vitriolic response to something that hurt him or her to the core, even if it was "over the top", or "rude", he or she should have been treated with respect, compassion, and kindness.)

Also, the "N" word was used at the beginning of the video, so I'd also very much like to hear from any people of African descent about the use of that word by white people.

If this entire discussion is happening among only white people, then it is meaningless. Please, any Asians or Africans, I really, really want and need to hear from you here.
    edited April 2014

@SionIV wow I'm impressed with your relaxed position, considering what you've been through. I'm glad for you that you manage to not let your bad experiences get to you.

Would just like to add that i'm not trying to paint myself as a victim, because i don't feel that i was. Yes it wasn't always easy but i'm certain that there are other people out there who have had it much worse.

I'm just trying to say that in my opinion they have won the moment you lash out and make a big deal out of it. People will always find something to pick on, if it isn't race it'll be something else. You just need to learn to not let it get to you, because they are wrong, we're all the same in the end and we're all beautiful creatures. Why spend time getting sad and depressed about what some people might say when you know it's wrong anyway?

This world is filled with so much depressive stuff to begin with. Why let 'minor' things like some people having a conversation like that in which they were just fooling around get to you? I don't have the time or energy to let a silly thing like this get to me.

And for everyone out here who are defending friends that are of another color, please just let them defend themselves. In my opinion the guys with the loudest voice are often the ones who have absolutely nothing to do with it to start with.

Anyway feel free to tear apart my post. *chuckles*
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I am half Asian, but Southern, not Eastern. It touched a nerve, but I'm not riled up over it. Then again, maybe I'm the wrong sort of Asian to be commenting. I certainly don't pretend to speak for anyone else.
    edited April 2014
    Twani said:

I was raped because of my race. And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

No, I will say this: I find it amusing (if irritating) that I have mostly a group of white, male, middle-class, straight men telling me that it's not worth getting worked up about, that the words said (very similar to words said to me) aren't really racist, that no one on the internet should be getting upset about these things, that it's useless to try and make a relatively safe space like a messageboard for a video game free of the sort of racism, sexism, and homophobia I deal with in real life. I don't think that's true. I think there are many other woman (and some men) who have been through what I have been through, and if I don't speak, no one speaks. And I don't think that's an environment that should exist, on the forums of a relatively family-friendly game.

I am truly sorry for what you have had to experience. But when you say :

" I find it amusing (if irritating) that I have mostly a group of white, male, middle-class, straight men telling me that it's not worth getting worked up about,"

Isn't this just as much racism as everything else?
    @Twani, thank you so much for coming back to the discussion. I want to click an approval for you, but I'm not sure which one. I guess agree?

I don't think many of us here right now would fail to sympathize with and support what you have to say, especially given what you have told us.

I can say that if I were an Asian woman, running into, on the streets at night, a group of four Australian young white men talking the way these guys do, I would be terrified, and wanting to flee in the opposite direction, for sure.

You have reminded me why I posted what I posted in response to this video. Again, thank you.
    edited April 2014
    @SionIV, that you would say that to a rape victim expressing her feelings... I just don't know how to say how much I disapprove.

Especially since that rape victim had Asian racist slurs hurled at her during the act...

My god. I won't forget this, @SionIV, and I think you and I had better have the same deal from now on that I have with @Quartz, or one of us is going to get into trouble with site rules.

@Dee, we desperately need a moderator here.
    People need to seriously calm down here. What happened to Twani is horrible and no one should have to go through that.

I'm just saying that to single out white males is just as much racism as saying bad thing about others.

I mean no harm in my posts and i'm in no way wanting nor trying to hurt people. I just feel people are turning this into something much worse than it has to be.

@SionIV, obviously, I disagree. But, I'll wait for @Dee to weigh in one way or the other.

I would request that this poisonous thread be closed immediately.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_racism
    http://feminspire.com/why-reverse-racism-isnt-real/
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/15/884649/-Why-there-s-no-such-thing-as-Reverse-Racism#

Racism = power + prejudice, in Academia. By the terms of Academia, it is impossible, for instance, for a person of color to be racist against a white person, because this person of color does not have any power over the white person. A white person can be discriminated against, but they can not be racist against.

However, my comment was simply pointing out that the majority of posters in this thread are white middle to upper class straight males. That's factual: I know most of the posters in this thread are. If I was on a different board (say, the gibberlings3), then they'd be white middle to upper class straight females, and I would have pointed that out the same.
    It's sad how a playthrough of four drunk friends end up creating so much hate and spite on this forum that people are starting to ignore each other and putting blame onto people who had nothing to do with it.

When sharing an opinion gets warped into some kind of destructive hate post like this it makes me wonder why i even log on here to start wtih.

So much for sharing a passion we feel for a game we all love.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Twani said:

Racism = power + prejudice, in Academia. By the terms of Academia, it is impossible, for instance, for a person of color to be racist against a white person, because this person of color does not have any power over the white person. A white person can be discriminated against, but they can not be racist against.

So discrimination is fair game?

Also, I don't believe anyone here holds power over you; or anyone else; other than the moderators. This is a message board. Comments can be thrown about that will hurt emotionally, and that goes for all of us.

What I'm saying is, on these forums, by your definition, anyone can be discriminated against, no one can be racist against.
This discussion has been closed.